shot gun cert !!

Daz1986

hello there

guys and girls you will have heard this millions of times but i am just filling my application form for a shot gum and am wanting to get a little more int on a few bits:

what happens after i send it to the police.

what i need in my home.

how long it takes ( as i work away so will i be needed)

thans for the help guys and very sorry if this has all been asked before.

regards

Daz

send it in the post, yoru cheque will be cashed strait away.. FAO will ring you to arrange a interview.. this all comes down to how busy they are could be weeks a months.. accept the date provided to speed things up a little.. id advise having a cabinet fitted for when he comes and this will also speed up the process.. if hes happy could be 2 weeks or so for paperwork to arrive

Also if you are away from home a lot worth including your mobile phone number and ask if they can use that as the prefered contact number. I hardly ever use my land line number as use mobile number for every thing.

If your funds stretch to it don't buy a 2 / 3 gun cabinate go for one like a 5 gun capacity and even better a deep one for future proofing if you go down the air rifle or FAC rifle at a later date. I always said I would only have 1 shotgun, which did not last long before another joined it.

Declare any history like driving offences or medical conditions past or present, if not sure of anything just ask.

Daz, What has been said so far is exactly right. The time frame does vary from area to area. If you are away use your mobile as the primary contact number. To answer one question you asked - YES you will need to be there because the FEO will not only be checking the security of the gun cabinet but your attitude and awareness of what you are asking for and you intended use. They will also ask you basic safety related questions. Nothing is difficult, just be honest and complete on your application form and be honest and enthusiastic during the home visit. Typically it is about 2 weeks after the visit that the SGC will be issued.

Many thanks fellas. One more thing to pester you with!! Where would be the best place to fit my safe in a small bungalow?? And is there any rules where it can and cannot be?? Sorry about this guys.

It should be "fixed to the fabric of the building", and be "out of site to casual visitors" so not visible from ground floor window (but can be in a cupboard etc so not directly visible). Not visible to anyone that knocks the door, comes to read gas meter etc. Have seen them in all sorts of places in a cupboard or wardrobe bolted to a solid wall or joist is good.

Have a read: http://www.homeoffic...pdf?view=Binary

• For preference it should be in a room or area that does not have direct access to the outside of a building.

• It should not be in a garage, shed or other outside building, except in certain circumstances.

• When considering large or heavy gun cabinets, you should consider the load bearing strength of your floors.

• Wherever possible, it should be fixed to a wall that is built from bricks or concrete blocks or to the floor.

• The container should be out of sight (unless the firearm is held for display purposes). If it is in a corner, it is more difficult for a thief to attack it.

• You should avoid fixing the container near any heat source.

Edited by HDAV

• 1 month later...

well though i should put and update!!! wife called the local police today to check on any progress with my cert ( AS I AM IN THE MIDDLE EAST) to find out it has been granted. all been well i should have the cert by the time i get home on the 23rd feb.... :good:

Edited by Daz1986