HW90 Theoben Accuracy

fieldmaster

Hello to you all, I have recently returned to Air rifles after a twenty year break, (makes me sound ancient). Many moons past I owned a HW77 .22, It was great accurate and consistent, and it never ever went wrong, like a fool I sold it and I moved onto Shotguns.

Having spent many years doing Archery as well, I thought I may give airguns another crack, partly due to a shoulder injury. Having Theoben on my door step many years ago, I always wanted one of there rifles, however, I learn't the company has closed down and therefore I decided to opt for HW90K. I tried a Evolution many years back and thought this was a great piece of kit. So with this knowledge of both HW and Theoben I thought a HW90 would be a good compromise.

I have owned the rifle for 4 weeks and shot approx 500 pellets (mainly indoors at roughly 25 metres), I have tried RWS Superdomes, and today Accupel (pointed).

This is a sub 12ft pounds rifle and long distance shooting will always be a concern at this poundage, having had a FAC licence in the past I thought I may re-apply with the intention of boosting the power on my HW90.

The problem is consistency, I can shoot 10 pellets with an average group of 20mm diameter, then 10 pellets leaping left and right up to 100mm of target. I have made my own pellet seating tool to ensure the pellets sit tight and straight, this has clearly helped however when shooting on a bench I cannot get any form of consistency (nothing near my HW77).

I am also having issues with the trigger not working correctly (this can be a worry, as it then decides to let go when you not ready!.

For a new rifle I am a little cheesed of at both the poor accuracy and dodgy trigger.

I guess I cant do anything about the accuracy, the prospect of turning this into a 20 FT/Pound FAC is major worry especially as the trigger is getting worse. I will be returning the gun next week to sort the trigger, that said Is the accuracy on these rifle generally inconsistent?

If anyone has had such issues please enlighten me

If your trigger is inconsistent then accuracy is out of the window-with a springer (or gas ram) the trigger is second only to the barrel in terms of importance,The "Record" unit on your gun is one of the best ever made and should be perfect,check out youtube and see if there are any tips on setting the unit up.Forget pointed pellets if you want long range accuracy-go for a good quality domehead,you might save a few pennies by buying a sample pack or just ask your nearest dealer what he would recommend.Hang on in there-the gun will serve you well.

I have had 2 of these, the first a beezneez HW90 Euro Custom in sub 12 which was ridiculously good in every way except wouldn't carry well in the field as it was too heavy and the stock cumbersome in shape. The other which I still own is a standard job with the long barrel which was 22 ft lbs when new and a sack of poo with it, no make that 3 sacks. Utter garbage in that it would not keep pellets inside an A4 sheet off a rest. (so much for the old adage of gun's only as good as the man behind it)

It took a few days of trials but doing 16.5 ft lbs it now throws thumb nail groups with ease and I can hit a match box off hand at 40+ yards, it's the perfect heavy, stable, off hand hunter. What I'm trying to say is they don't do FAC power levels well so get a different gun for that.

If your trigger is inconsistent then accuracy is out of the window-with a springer (or gas ram) the trigger is second only to the barrel in terms of importance,The "Record" unit on your gun is one of the best ever made and should be perfect,check out youtube and see if there are any tips on setting the unit up.Forget pointed pellets if you want long range accuracy-go for a good quality domehead,you might save a few pennies by buying a sample pack or just ask your nearest dealer what he would recommend.Hang on in there-the gun will serve you well.

I agree, I think the trigger needs so subtle tweaking yes, but I am still not totally convinced this is as consistent as it should be. When the thing is shooting straight its simply ace. Then a wild batch of pellets kicks in, then maybe 5/7 pellets later it settles. Seating the pellet a few mill helped no end.. I agree with domed pellets, pointy things are a bit of gimmick in my opinion (no doubt I will be slated for this).. Thanks for the suggestions I will persevere, I want to get this this thing bang on....as it should

I have had 2 of these, the first a beezneez HW90 Euro Custom in sub 12 which was ridiculously good in every way except wouldn't carry well in the field as it was too heavy and the stock cumbersome in shape. The other which I still own is a standard job with the long barrel which was 22 ft lbs when new and a sack of poo with it, no make that 3 sacks. Utter garbage in that it would not keep pellets inside an A4 sheet off a rest. (so much for the old adage of gun's only as good as the man behind it)

It took a few days of trials but doing 16.5 ft lbs it now throws thumb nail groups with ease and I can hit a match box off hand at 40+ yards, it's the perfect heavy, stable, off hand hunter. What I'm trying to say is they don't do FAC power levels well so get a different gun for that.

I had many airguns in the past, this is by far the most confusing. I have to admit the recoil is somewhat harsh and kicks in really fast, a steady shooting position is a must, Ive been shooting on bench so it should be consistent......I doubt tuning this to fac levels will benefit this gun especially at the moment. I hope to get this corrected I think the trigger could have alot more tweaking potential. Must say my HW77 was ace so consistent.... As I have a trigger fault ( wont release when fired/shoot 100 percent of the time), this must be having some effect???... Will be returning to the shop next week to get this fixed under warranty....Cheers for message

My Mate had one of these in .22 and at 25 yards it would be pellet on pellet, for 10 to 20 shots then it would group like a shotgun for a dozen or so shots, then accuracy would return.

He tried everything, changing the scope, using a Dampa mount, various makes of pellet etc, in the end he traded it against a HW 100, I`m not too familiar with the gas ram system but is there not a provision on the Hw 90 to adjust it by injecting nitrogen or some type of gas into the ram.

my best airgun, put pellet on pellet at 40 yrds in .22 , strangely it loved matchpell the flat head crossmen.

i loved the gun and couldnt get it over the limit so always felt safe shooting it, i dropped a major #### and answered my house phone and left it in my

car and had it stolen.

it was fitted with a prosystem silencer and dampermounts and a 3x9x50 scope.

it shot more rabbits then i have ever shot since

i would love another

It is not the Rekord unit on the 90! The Rekord trigger does not work with the gas ram! Agree about pointed pellets, get some good domed pellets, clean the barrel, then try again!

Edited by secretagentmole

My Mate had one of these in .22 and at 25 yards it would be pellet on pellet, for 10 to 20 shots then it would group like a shotgun for a dozen or so shots, then accuracy would return.

He tried everything, changing the scope, using a Dampa mount, various makes of pellet etc, in the end he traded it against a HW 100, I`m not too familiar with the gas ram system but is there not a provision on the Hw 90 to adjust it by injecting nitrogen or some type of gas into the ram.

Hello, This is the exact issue, tried it again today what a suprise bang on for 8 shots then couldnt hit a barn door at 40 yards.....trigger is playing up and not responding to any adjustment, also had several miss fires. Its going back to the shop tomorrow.... I am bemused by this issue and to be honest I am waiting to get my fac, so I dont think this will be in my hands for long, its as bad as my first gun....not gonna mention the make as it will upset sooooo many...Roll on FAC......

I owned 2 of them . The first I sold to buy mx boots .

The second I've just sold as I never use it .

I shot 32 rabbits out of 36 in one night with mine and 80 rooks in 4 hrs so stick with it as o regret selling mine again .

I used mine for field Target for 18 months as it was that good.

I am sure a good one is brilliant, when mine decides to play ball, it really is fantastic.... but it is very inconsistent. Ive been doing archery for about 10 years and I shoot a compound bow, i can honestly out perform this rifle from 20 yards up to 60 yards without any worries...shame you cant hunt with bows!!!.

I hope when i get the gun back from repair it will shoot better, but this experience has wasted so much of my time, i am really hoping i can get my fac, and a whole new world of long range antics will be planned..I think I have simply purchased a lemon, I love HW guns, always have done and honestly they have been great. I would consider a .22lr, but not another HW90..

It is not the Rekord unit on the 90! The Rekord trigger does not work with the gas ram! Agree about pointed pellets, get some good domed pellets, clean the barrel, then try again!

Not sure what the trigger is on the HW90, Cant recall my old HW77's but i do remember it had a great feel, and a sense i knew when the pellet would go... My current HW90 trigger is two stage but lacking in feel.... anyway it is faulty and hopefully when sorted bliss will return to my life... Should have bought a HW100 as originally planned

I think Theoben named their trigger unit Elite on the 90, not that it matters but I prefer these to the Rekord as for some reason I never got on too well with them.

Hi, not sure what the trigger is, Rekord?, it has two stages and adjuster, the poor girl went into repair today.....had to view a .17hmr, 150yard range, yes please......

Hello to you all, I have recently returned to Air rifles after a twenty year break, (makes me sound ancient). Many moons past I owned a HW77 .22, It was great accurate and consistent, and it never ever went wrong, like a fool I sold it and I moved onto Shotguns.

Having spent many years doing Archery as well, I thought I may give airguns another crack, partly due to a shoulder injury. Having Theoben on my door step many years ago, I always wanted one of there rifles, however, I learn't the company has closed down and therefore I decided to opt for HW90K. I tried a Evolution many years back and thought this was a great piece of kit. So with this knowledge of both HW and Theoben I thought a HW90 would be a good compromise.

I have owned the rifle for 4 weeks and shot approx 500 pellets (mainly indoors at roughly 25 metres), I have tried RWS Superdomes, and today Accupel (pointed).

This is a sub 12ft pounds rifle and long distance shooting will always be a concern at this poundage, having had a FAC licence in the past I thought I may re-apply with the intention of boosting the power on my HW90.

The problem is consistency, I can shoot 10 pellets with an average group of 20mm diameter, then 10 pellets leaping left and right up to 100mm of target. I have made my own pellet seating tool to ensure the pellets sit tight and straight, this has clearly helped however when shooting on a bench I cannot get any form of consistency (nothing near my HW77).

I am also having issues with the trigger not working correctly (this can be a worry, as it then decides to let go when you not ready!.

For a new rifle I am a little cheesed of at both the poor accuracy and dodgy trigger.

I guess I cant do anything about the accuracy, the prospect of turning this into a 20 FT/Pound FAC is major worry especially as the trigger is getting worse. I will be returning the gun next week to sort the trigger, that said Is the accuracy on these rifle generally inconsistent?

If anyone has had such issues please enlighten me

i also have owned one of these, and yes it was a problem for me! Same as you described! My trigger was fine tho, i did notice cold weather dropped the power alot, i loved the look of the hw90 but im afraid thats all i loved! I swapped the 90 for a tx200sr and that was the best airgun iv ever shot!!! Sadly tho as dumb as i was i sold it i doubt il ever find another like it!