Picking up etiquette

Mr pigeon

Hi people I do a lot of pigeon shooting so my dog is used to retrieving. But I have been asked to do some picking up on a pheasant shoot on Saturday. I was just wondering what is the right and wrong things to do, ie do I wait for the drive to finish before picking up or pick up from the first downed bird? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If the bird is dead then leave it until the drive is over. If its a runner and it is safe to do so, then I would retrieve it. Its also important to be mindful of guns with dogs as they may want to pick up their birds with their own dogs.

Personally I'd use a priest to despatch any runners, as 1, its easier then the "swing it by its head technique" and 2, it looks more professional.

Do you know the head picker up? If not introduce yourself and ask them for any particular ettiquette and where they would like you to stand.

Speak to the keeper, do not approach any of the guns unless you have been given permission to do so (if its thats sort of shoot !)....some guns do not like to see pickers...some shoots like the pickers to wave at them before they start shooting so they know where they are.......

there are some funny blokes (guns) about, if one asks you "did you pick that bird i pricked early on"..... and you didnt...and he asks you to look again and you still find nothing, then dont be tempeted to say you have,,,,as he will be testing you in his own evil way....the best way is to stand weeellll back and have nothing to do with the guns and do your job..if the gun has a dog, then let him pick a couple of birds first...dont forget they are the ones that are paying £500-750 /day to shoot...and for christs sake dont let your dog off on a runner during the shoot unless you are 100 percent of it coming back to you ....if it dosnt you will be redfaced for the rest of the day !!!

ask the keeper the format first

if its an informal day (good ole boys ) the guns will mix with the pickers and beaters and have a good larf ...thats how it should be......

Brilliant guys thank you very much for that. I feel I can go along now knowing the score.

Thanks again

get it right from the beginning and you will have a better day than the guns aaannnd you will get paid.....just a word of advice from someone who has been picking up for 40 plus years.....picking up can be quite cleaky.....there are some pickers who are all mouth and trousers and come back with loads of birds they have picked up around the guns...they dont earn their money...watch out for the pricked birds and then go back to pick them...you only need to pick one of those and you have earnt your money ! if a pricked bird goes way back into more cover ask permission to go there as it might be another later drive..so you mustnt disturb it ! you only have to please one person and that is the keeper....if he knows you pick up lost way back birds because you can be bothered to go way back...i will tell you now he will notice and you will be on his list

enjoy yourself you will have a great time, and if you do it for as long as ive been doing it you will have some great times to remember and meet some really nice people...it becomes a drug after a while..be warned !

get it right from the beginning and you will have a better day than the guns aaannnd you will get paid.....just a word of advice from someone who has been picking up for 40 plus years.....picking up can be quite cleaky.....there are some pickers who are all mouth and trousers and come back with loads of birds they have picked up around the guns...they dont earn their money...watch out for the pricked birds and then go back to pick them...you only need to pick one of those and you have earnt your money ! if a pricked bird goes way back into more cover ask permission to go there as it might be another later drive..so you mustnt disturb it ! you only have to please one person and that is the keeper....if he knows you pick up lost way back birds because you can be bothered to go way back...i will tell you now he will notice and you will be on his list

enjoy yourself you will have a great time, and if you do it for as long as ive been doing it you will have some great times to remember and meet some really nice people...it becomes a drug after a while..be warned !

From another who's been picking up a good few years ..... Read and re-read the above. Best advice you'll have.

And yes, you WILL get hooked!

Enjoy it.

DaveL

there are some funny blokes (guns) about, if one asks you "did you pick that bird i pricked early on"..... and you didnt...and he asks you to look again and you still find nothing, then dont be tempeted to say you have,,,,as he will be testing you in his own evil way....

I admit to doing this to a complete plank of a man. I normally enjoy a good crack with beaters and pickers up, and love watching the dogs working. This one guy was picking up fine, but was opinionated, arrogant, loud and had no business making comment yet he continued to do so.

So, I claimed to have hit a bird hard, but that it glided over a couple of fields and pitched in along a dyke. At the end of the next drive (and day) he had to get out of the vehicle and look for the non-bird, whilst everyone else was back at the bothy enjoying the log burner, drinks, nibbles and a good crack.

He eventually appeared, and I asked him how he got on. He had picked my bird. Like I said - plank of a man.

I picked up for the first time last weekend, and it wasn't a scary as i thought it would be. The hardest bit i found was knowing how far back to be and which way the birds were the bird were used to flying out the woods as i didn't know the ground. Best advice is keep your dog close and don't send it for a runner unless you are 100% sure the dog will pick it and come back.

oh and don't move around during the drive as you will loose track of your marked birds.

have fun, its great.