Chokes

dead-eye-dick

I have been offerd a s/s game gun, which I am interested in. The only fault, from my point-of-view is that it is choked 1/2 full. Now I know they can be take out, but I don't really want to devalue it.

I have been told that by constricting the shot will lengthen the 'shot-string' therefore swings and roundabouts??

I have always shot 1/4 1/2 for all my shooting.

How much, if anything, will this effect my shooting performance in the field ??

Any comments/thoughts greatly appricianted.

(p.s this gun would be used solely for live quarry, and seems to fit me very well)

I usually shoot 1/4 and 1/2, but I have shot 1/4 and full and not noticed any difference.

The birds I was shooting were at an average range of 25-35 yards, this may be the reason.

My understanding is, that full choke starts to be a "benefit", at 35yards plus.

If you had the chance to take it to a sporting clay layout, you would see for yourself.

Alternatively, if you have a multichoke O/U try the 1/2 and full combination on clays, see if you can spot the difference. :lol:

As you correctly say, " I've never noticed any diffrance between cyl and 1/2"

Full choke always sounds so - tight.... :lol:

Does anyone know how much smaller the patten is at 30yards full to half

It's an AYA NO.2 side lock ejector choked 1/2 and full in A1 condition

would you buy it as a game gun :lol::lol:;)

Dead eye,if it was me and the money was right i would buy it and have it bored to 1/4 and 1/2,as has allready been said i dont know how much differance it will actually make to your shootng tally at the end of the day but, like you i like to shoot 1/4 and 1/2 for "live" shooting so it would make me think it was better if nothing else :lol: ,as for knocking money off the value i would think it would do the opposite if it was done well as it would be a more standard choking for game etc .

Are the barrels on AYAs chromed?if they are they are usually a little more expensive to bore out but i think you will find its still quite reasonable to have done,or you could go mad and send it to Nigel Teague for him to bore out and regulate,i have seen the results of some of his work and have to say it has been first class with the guns throwing exellant patterns (probably more important than the actual choking :lol: )if nothingelse its somthing else to barter over with the present owner :lol:

I dont think i would be too worried about losing value of the gun by boring out the barrels.If the gun is as good as i think you think it is you arnt going to be selling it to soon.With regard to chokings i would even go a bit less than you are thinking anyway maybe imp cyl. and quarter,as this will give you more even patterns by less pellet distortion in the choke cones.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i dont really think you can de-value a gun by removing some choke beating the groung with it when you miss might have that effect tho :lol: as a general rule i use quater/ half but some days i change and use sk/ quat if they a really close, i have found tho with half and full you dont get so many walkers it does tend to be all or nothing i would suggest you try it and if you fel you could do better then open them out a bit

how did that duck load get in my skeet vest :lol:

• 3 weeks later...