How do you know if a p/x price is right

hcarlos

If its somewhere about what you want then take. Most people have unreal expectations of what there car is worth especially to the trade.

Could always run around a couple of garages see what's cracking off, most folks will be working from glasses guide plus minus for condition and mileage and if your trade in suits there market.

But try not to dwell on it, if your happy with the deal go for it if not walk away.

Karpman

I found the what car online valuation came back spot on for the car i part ex`d earlier in the year. In general I find that garages will offer you about 25% less than the price they will stick the car on their forecourt for.

So for example, your car privately maybe worth 8.5k but on a dealers forecourt they`d put it up for 10k and offer to buy it from you for 7.5k.

Some places may offer you a bit more, it depends on what you are part ex`ing it for and how easy they think they can shift your car. If its a main dealer, then some will only want their brand of car on their part ex forecourt and so may just palm it off to another garage asap rather than try and sell it themselves.

You`ll nearly always get a better price privately but then you have the hassle of trying to sell yours etc...

Rather than trying to get the dealer to give you more for your car (which they wont.. they will only go on what the glasses guide tells them), focus on the "cost to change". Get them to knock more off the overall price or throw in some extras. I managed to get 10% knocked off the nearly new car I bought earlier in the year, plus roadtax, full tank of fuel, free breakdown cover etc...

Edited by jackinbox99

Most sites including honest John r saying £1000 more than there offering think as you said might pop round some different garages with same price car .

Trouble is with websites and valuations they don't take into account overall condition, if the cars had a dog or been smoked in, stone chips in the window and bonnet. A scratch a dink etc. All adds up.

To properly appraise a car you have to see it really, and like I said the market you buying into can also affect the price he is willing to pay. If you go around a few places don't mention what you have already been offered.

Karpman

Remember if its a dealer who taking it in P/X then he will offer you a price where he can sell it on for a profit. It u want the maximum value sell it private, yes it's more hassle but you will get more money in the end.

My advice would be to check auto trader and piston heads find the same model as yours and judge the price off that. Obviously take mileage, service history and condition in to account and see what others are going for.

All the best with the sale

Just look as if you was going to buy your car you have now then at least you will know what they are selling for

Yeah.but don't forget they will probably have to mot it and prepare it for sale and factor in a warranty.

That's assuming they don't just send it to the block.

Karpman

As I see it just have a look at what they are selling them for in garages and half it but then it all depends on what you are buying if you are paying top price for the new car they should give you a good price for the old one.

If you have the time and can be bothered to do it sell your old car privetely you will get a much better price for it and the new car will also be cheeper if they are not taking your old one in p/x for it but again is it worth the bother in the end its up to you.

I have found the we buy any car valuations to be a good starting point. If you are looking at a brand new car most new car dealers are not interested in second hand cars much over 2/3 years old so wont offer particularly good money, all they will do is send them to auction or to one of the local second hand dealers. Also depends on the car- we part exed my wifes 3 year old fiat 500 for about £500 under private market value, whereas the freelander we sold recently of similar value we got offered about £2000 under private market value.

Some garages do try it on though, went around a load of garages when looking for the last couple of cars and most were in the same ball park figure and when told of the better offer at another garage would match it (with reasonable price difference). There always one garage that will try and rip you off, one garage only offered 1/2 as much as the other garages, needless to say I never bought a car off them.

Some will show you the guide prices in the book, while others will say need to go and talk to the manager on every question you have in trying to get a better deal, when in a lot of cases they are just hiding for a while out of sight for a few mins.

Edited by BerettaSV10