microsoft excel - help needed, £'s not $'s ?

TaxiDriver

I've tried to create a 'proper' looking invoice for a corporate client that I've been working for this week

but when I've saved the file and then emailed it the customers mailed back saying the invoice is in $'s not £ and would I please alter and re submit.

How/what do I change so that when I enter the amount in figures it automatically adds the £ sign and not the $ ?

Keep it simples :) (I am after all)

Many thanks

Form memory (on ipad at the moment) you Go to format > cells > currency and then select £.

Might be a good idea to save the finished item as a pdf (save as and then select file format). Excel does funny things between versions and from pc to mac. Turning pounds to dollars has happened to me a few times.

Form memory (on ipad at the moment) you Go to format > cells > currency and then select £.

Might be a good idea to save the finished item as a pdf (save as and then select file format). Excel does funny things between versions and from pc to mac. Turning pounds to dollars has happened to me a few times.

thanks for that, funnily enough the client said they couldn't print it as the first file type, so I saved it as an earlier file extension but couldn't see PDF as an option :confused:

If you can't do that with the software you have, download CutePDF Writer (freeware).

I use it for all my reports and invoices.

Also prevents clients altering documents not that it should be a particular concern, but as I don't see what they submit to council planners, it would be easy to change a Word document to say there are no bats when there were!!

Grrrr Im reminded yet again why I don't do work for people who require invoices,

Ive done my excel spreadsheet and created a presentable looking invoice with all the required info clearly displayed,

Saved it as an xls file extension so as to be compatable with older versions of excel/ ms office/works (so far so good)

If I view my documents on my desktop its there and I can open it and view it in full.....

However........

When you try and print it or press print preview...........only the last, right hand column is visible ??

and the customer is saying they can't print the invoice off and therefore wont pay :mad:

Aquick google will give u the answer i was trying to do it with mm rather than "

U need to go in to format cell then click custome then type in #"£" i think worth aquick google tho

thanks, I've sorted that bit,

just now the customer says only the last (rh side) column is showing up in print preview or when you try to print the invoice.

thanks, I've sorted that bit,

just now the customer says only the last (rh side) column is showing up in print preview or when you try to print the invoice.

You need to set the print area and then save the file. They are obviously novices with excel and don't know how to do this.

Edited by Greymaster

Grrrr Im reminded yet again why I don't do work for people who require invoices,

Ive done my excel spreadsheet and created a presentable looking invoice with all the required info clearly displayed,

Saved it as an xls file extension so as to be compatable with older versions of excel/ ms office/works (so far so good)

If I view my documents on my desktop its there and I can open it and view it in full.....

However........

When you try and print it or press print preview...........only the last, right hand column is visible ??

and the customer is saying they can't print the invoice off and therefore wont pay :mad:

First of all Whoopy Do its stopped raining.

Right to the matter at hand...........You can highlight what you want to print then go to print review and print it. However if you are emailing the invoice you may need to redefine the print area.

Again highlight what you want to print then go to the drop down menus or "intuitive" icons (ha ha) click on SET PRINT AREA when you have found it. This is limited to the size of the paper the printer is using, if the document is bigger than say A4 then more than one page will be printed, which will not give you the doc you want.

You can maybe change the page orientation from portrait to landscape or pull in the cell column widths but dont make them too narrow or you will lose info in the printed version. The printable area is shown by a dotted line around the printable cells.

If you have downloaded PD995 (which I use a lot) send the file to this in your print options. The doc will then be saved as a PDF file which anyone should be able to print but not mess with unless they have the full blown Adobe Acrobat editor programme.

Hope this helps

ATB

Bri

P.S. If you are still stuck let me know on here, I'll PM you my email addy. Send me the file and I'll format it for you. I use Excel from Office 2010

Edited by Sha Bu Le

NES and Sha Bu Le

thank you both very much,

Im sorted now, in a flash of inspiration I spoke to my web site guy and mailed them over to him and he returned them less than 5 mins later sorted :good:

Greymaster: Thanks for the link to the youtube tutorial, I'd never have thought to look on youtube.

Seasons Greetings one and All

Neil

NES and Sha Bu Le

thank you both very much,

Im sorted now, in a flash of inspiration I spoke to my web site guy and mailed them over to him and he returned them less than 5 mins later sorted :good:

Greymaster: Thanks for the link to the youtube tutorial, I'd never have thought to look on youtube.

Seasons Greetings one and All

Neil

you're very welcome Neil

All the best to you and yours for Christmas and the new year