Mannlicher or Tikka

missedagainstan

Hi

Need help :blink:

Mannlicher pro hunter mountain - short barrel :good:

Mannlicher Scout :blush:

Tikka T3 Varmint :blink:

Ive narrowed it down these three in .243 and would welcome any views or experiences with the above rifles

Need to spend quick before in goes on carpet and new 3 piece :blink:

Thanks

Stan.

although i havent owned a mannlicher i have handled a few out of curiosity. They seem nice enough, however the early synthetic stocks had awful amounts of flex and i wasnt very keen on the safety/set trigger design in the sort of wheel safety. Not to mention the poor finishing on this piece of the gun.

Tikka would get my vote as well.

The Howa's are nicely built guns, although mine dosent shoot spectacually, but ive hardly given it much of a go so far. Avoid the synthetic versions.

Tikka or Sako for an out of the box gun, Remington if you want to play with trigger kits/basic gunsmithing

I have two Prohunters - both consistantly shoot less than 0.5" - nuff said :good::blush: :blink:

Mannlicher rifles are differant - but you wont be dissapointed.

SF

I have a Steyr ProHunter in .243 with the 20" bbl. S/S PES mod fitted and groups fine and no measurable 'flex' in the bbl when shooting. As far as the reduction in MV due to the 4" loss. If you load your own you will not have this issue.

Stock did flex at the front end but did not appear to effect the POI at up to 200yds but I glass filled it anyway, which stiffened it up no end. The only rifle I have to compare it to was a Tikka T3 Lite. Bolt action on the Steyr has a far superior action IMHO that's why I chose this despite the additional cost. Plus the Steyr came pre-threaded. The T3 did not so goodbuy to another £100 to get that done otherwise?

steyr243_1.jpg

Paul

I have two Tikka T3's. One in .243, and one in .270.

I bought the .243 first as it just seemed to fit me well, it's seen plenty of work on foxes an Munties and

has never let me down. An excellent, accurate out of the box rifle IMO.

When I came to get the .270 it was a no brainer.

Get yourself round to Adenbourne Fieldsports in Witney, they're up for doing a deal!

I came up close and personal again with a steyr prohunter yesterday and tokk particular interest on your behalf...................no way Jose. The stock was flexing all over the shop when the guy was shooting off the bipod(I was watching very closely as its one-one supervision on the DSC) and when he came to shoot off the sticks, the stock was touching the barrel all down one side where it hadnt before. The guy was well aware of what was going on with it and said he was selling it asap. AND THEN.

His mate came on to the range on the next group, using his gun and guess what, he's the next lucky owner as soon as his variation comes through. I didnt have the heart to say anything but wow.....................get better friends IMO

Action and stuff looks ok except for weird safety which you have to close the bolt before you can remove it. You cant single load rounds through the mag port, he had to remove the mag every time to load a singlke round into it and the reinsert it but thats not an issue in the field to be fair. The stock, well, if yoy really want one, try the wood version cos the plastic is ****!

Oh and PETE MOORE agrees in this months Shooting Sports when he tests a big up tactical Steyr which I would have returned to the shop. Moving groups on/off bipod.

He asked me if I wanted to try it at the club, I declined repectfully even though it was an intersting calibre, .260 rem.

The shop wont tell you this, Hmmm thats not a suprise really is it.

The replies you have received clearly favour the Tikka of your 2 choices and I agree, its a cracker, shame you cant get a 5/695 as they were even better in their day.

Thanks fister and all for the time and effort shown on my dilemer :good:

I was more certain to go for the Tikka in the first place and from your observations I've now made my mind to go down that route.

With the moderator on the Mannlicher just looked a nice compact unit

Tikka it is :D:D

Could some one let me how to quote just a paragraph from a post and not the whole thing as above

Could some one let me how to quote just a paragraph from a post and not the whole thing as above

Use the 'quote' and 'reply' buttons but delete all the text you don't want.

Leave the topline that says "[quote name= "

Then in middle the text you want

And it should end with ""

Promise you won't tell markbivvy how to do it though :D

Use the 'quote' and 'reply' buttons but delete all the text you don't want.

Leave the topline that says "[quote name= "

Then in middle the text you want

And it should end with "

"

Promise you won't tell markbivvy how to do it though ???

someone needs to tell him ???????????????