.410 what types of loads is avalible

BB shot in 410 does not have the same speed as a 12 gauge they are set a lot slower(about 900 ft per second as apposed to 1090 in a 12 GAUGE CARTRIDGE)

Sorry you are wrong here I have cronoed most .410 including all my home loads most are 1150-1250 FPS it's only subsonic loads that are 900 FPS OR BELOW 12gauge also are not 1090 the last BBload I put through the chrono was 1263 FPS

Deershooter

the speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s)...

Above from Google, though actual spped varies according to altitude a nd temperature, etc.

Quite a few more heavy duty 410 load offerings to be found abroad...inc buckshot & the like.

UK laws state that the cartridge must contain a minimum number of shot: nowhere does it stipulate that all the shot have to be the same size...so you could mix 2 or 3 buckshot with a few #7 or peppershot...

Handloading is the best way to get maximum performance from the 410...and also the way to customise payload/velocity requirements

UK laws state that the cartridge must contain a minimum number of shot: nowhere does it stipulate that all the shot have to be the same size...so you could mix 2 or 3 buckshot with a few #7 or peppershot...

Handloading is the best way to get maximum performance from the 410...and also the way to customise payload/velocity requirements

True - but you could also use 5 LG/000 buckshot in a 3" cartridge - and stay within the law - assuming you have some reloading data to support this :)

Or just buy it:

Edited by aris

Guest cookoff013

without being a total numpty......

what is the point of reloading #7 shot and a big shot? it defeats the point of a shotgun, because you are trying to shoot slug type projectile. if you have such a need, buy some slugs?

as for the legality of shooting 2-3 buckshot in a cartridge is speculative. say you add 5 #9s, that could be looked at as a bit of grit that ended up on the cartridges. you could even say you loaded #12 as well. its not like the police make up there own set of rules... is it.??

as for the 303 case issue. dont bother. there are umpteen decent .410 hull recipes to load upto / with without messing around.

the .410 is not designed to sporting-ly shoot fox, bears, goats, moose, boar, or whatever. it is a tiny gun for little birds. some of you need to realize, it is not a 12gauge or as versatile as a 12gauge. i dont really care how many hypothetical SSG you can stuff in it. or the fact that 3grams of #50 shot can kill pigeons at 1000yards or more.

it is a small cartridge "shotgun" always has, been always will be, live with it.

if you are adamant to fire SSG / LG etc or whatever at stuff. load up an 8 gauge, and shoot it.

My sister - out in Queensland - carries a .410 pistol for snake shooting, loaded with Eley 'fourlong' 2.5 inch with 14g No. 5 shot.

Reckons it is the perfect gun for the job, they have become very popular with farmers / smallholders out there instead of a 9mm pistol, which they were all using 15-20 years ago

My sister - out in Queensland - carries a .410 pistol for snake shooting, loaded with Eley 'fourlong' 2.5 inch with 14g No. 5 shot.

Reckons it is the perfect gun for the job, they have become very popular with farmers / smallholders out there instead of a 9mm pistol, which they were all using 15-20 years ago

These snakes in Africa are BIGGGGG snakes.