.410 what types of loads is avalible

hello

just pick up my .410 mossberg and wondering is there anything biger avalible

like bb load. for thise 20-25 yards shot on charlie (or its not powerfull enough)

and if home reload whats the bigest legal size of pelet.

is there anyone around Darlington northallerton or Leyburn who is reloading carts to show me ropes.

Thank You

It's not really a sufficient gun for shooting foxes at range with : If you can load (or buy) BB or No.1 / 3 shot cartridges for it, then the number of pellets will be quite small, or for a bigger load, the recoil is going to be quite severe. From that, the accuracy will have to be very good to kill a fox at 25 yards or more. It can be done, but it's not really the right tool for the job

If you wanted a bigger load, then you'd be better off with a 12 bore, or a 20 bore.

I do use a .410 for killing foxes ... but they are in a trap, so it's a shot directly to the head at a range of 1 foot. Anything at range I use a 12 bore and Eley Alphamax 42g BBs. They do the job, but pack a punch in recoil too.

i do have 12b its just something to have in pocket for emergencies.

Last month i was around some barns with chickens in them and walk in to fox about 10-15 yards away, but have only 21g of size 9.

so i didnt take shot at him.

I know pelet number etc. but bb pelet traveling at 1200 ft/s is stil same power from .410 or 12b (or its just me)

10-15 yards away, 21g of almost any shot will drop a fox on the spot, or at the very least wound it so seriously that you would be able to walk up and finish it off.

Yes, a BB load fired from a .410 will travel at the same speed as when fired from a 12 bore. But a 12 bore will be able to fire a lot larger load, so a lot more pellets

Think of the number of BB pellets in a 42g Alphamax 12 bore shell, then think of a .410 - realsitically with an absolute max of 21g load. Half the pellets. At range, that means that your accuracy has to be a lot better to drop a fox.

BTW, regarding those reloading slug shell links, something I found, buried in his small print ...

These slugs are supplied as inert lead, non expanding and not loaded in any way and it is the purchasers responsibility to have the relevant documentation if intending to use them for hand loading in the UK. Slug and ball loaded ammunition is classed as firearms ammunition and as such requires a condition on a firearms certificate

So, if you did buy those, and loaded them into shotgun shells, and if you were unlucky and got caught, you could expect to go to prison for it.

Someone posted a while ago that they could reload .410 for about £3.00 a box. Prices have moved up a fair bit though, and unless you were doing it in very large numbers, I doubt you would get much less than £4.00 per box.

Of course, the REAL advantage of homeloading for .410 is that you can create the load you want, for the gun you have. If you've only got a 2.5 inch chambered gun, you can still create a subsonic hush load for it, but if buying pre-made, you can only get those in 3"

Primers 3pwad 1.5 ppowder 15 grains 3,9 pshot 14 grams 4.1 p 5.1 p for 19.5 grams= 12.5 p |* 25 = £3.13.5 per box @ 14 grams £3.37 @19.5 gramsuse home made lead £2.60 per 25Thats why we do itDeershooterprimers Siarm £30 per 1000wad Siarm £15 per 1000powder £39 per kg 1025 per kg @15grainsShot £2.88 per Kg (if purchased in in bulk )

Edited by deershooter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

so far my math is not working.

is there any one who is reloading and can post specific prices per primer , wad , shot (about 15 gr) and powder.

i am strugling to see worthwile reloading .410

I home load .410 shells, for my Mossberg 500 Hushpower gun, plastic wads are apparently iffy in moderators, so you need to use cork wad fillers, and crimp the 2.5" & 3" magnums. If you have another gun, or lucky enough to have the two barrel version, you can use the roll over crimp & over shot card, aswell as plastic wads of course! Once I upload some pics onto a hosting site, I'll gladly share what little I know with you!

hello

just pick up my .410 mossberg and wondering is there anything biger avalible

like bb load. for thise 20-25 yards shot on charlie (or its not powerfull enough)

and if home reload whats the bigest legal size of pelet.

is there anyone around Darlington northallerton or Leyburn who is reloading carts to show me ropes.

Thank You

You wont get enough BB in to make things worthwhile IMO. you can shoot a single large shot with energy similar to a .22 Hornet or just two or three (FAC allowing), though you might just want to keep ranges far closer and use a std no.5 or 6. I have been amazed at what a .410 will do within its range limitations with a std shell but stretch it just a yard or two too far....... I might guess at 15yds it will kill the life out of any fox hit broadside in the chest yet at 20+ you will see a very steep clime in wounding. Something more for working a trap line than out looking for fox IMO

if i am right its minimum of 6 pelets in shotgun shel in uk any thing lower than that its FAC.

i will not risk to load anything wich is not legal , i like my tickets to much.

No, minimum of 5 pellets, of a maximum size 0.36" in diameter. American 000 buck shot is 0.36" in diameter:

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

So if you could put 5 of them in a 3" .410 shell (and I think you can), this would be legal without an FAC I believe.