Think I need a to see a Doctor

BerettaSV10

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget all those that inject insulin have to inform DVLA but take extra care filling out the form as they class anything 4 or below as having a hypo.I made one mistake and had my licence revoked,it took 5 weeks and a lot of hassle to get it back.

i am pleased for you SV10 at least you are now getting some where.My last blood test which reads an average of BS over three months came back at 7.2 so now have the insulin levels sorted.it is a long slow road that you will go but you will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

With the injections it seems to be an average of 6.5-7. now but since diagnosed i do seem to have problems with small memory losses also getting fed up being told its a fat **** malady.

johnnie

Years ago, I had problems with memory loss and head aches, ended up have brain scan and numerous tests and the docs never identified what caused the memory loss. I still forget things to a small degree, nowhere as bad as it was. The head aches were enventually identified as me not tlerating paracetamol the more I took it to stop the head aches the longer they lasted.

Also had the your to fat treatment, lost some weight as I was around 20 stone now hover around 18.

The GP's phoned and canceled the blood test for last week and it would be around 3 weeks before I could be fitted in :(, as I need to go to the hospital to get replacent parts for a mask I had the blood test drawn their. Tried to make a appointment with a doctor and one can not do this any more :( due to changing their system. One now has to call them on the day they then return the call and then decide if you need to have a face to face appointment.

At the moment thanks to the new meds my current BS levels are still swinging, though now between 4.1 and 14.1, now in the game of finding what food is causing the highs. When the blood tests come back hopefully next week will know what my HBa1c will be as a new starting point.

I am now hearing that some GP's are now restricting or not allowing type 2 diabetics to have tests strips, fortunately so far this is not the case at my GP's. Recently ordered a one touch vita meter as my old is now getting long in the tooth, still prefer the old one over the vita (which I think will end up being given away). Noticed on other forums that the supercheck2 meter which can be switched on to talk to you and rang the company up. ideal for those with bad eysight. The man I spoke to was very helpful and was concerned that the GP was not bothered about the high's I was getting and is sending me a meter. The advantage is if my GP's practice follow the trend of restricting test strips the ones for this meter ar affordable at being between £8 & £9 for 50 (can't remember the exact price) and the lancets are a lot cheaper as well, though my favorite lacetts are the BD ones.

Edited by BerettaSV10

BSV10 glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you. Not sure how often you are testing yourself each day but sounds as if it might be a bit too often. If you use one of the litlle diaries you can settle into a more coherent regime. Test at the same time or as near as each day. From my own experience I found it best to test 4 times a day; before b/fast, before lunch, before tea and then before bed. Try not to eat much at bedtime either as it will affect your first test in the morning. If you use a similar regime then you will build a better picture of what is happening with your sugars. If at the same time you start a record of what you eat and when - then that will allow you to see what food affects your sugar levels most. These diaries are normally available for free in the Diabetic clinic. Also, once you get to see the dietician they will help you to work out all about food and you will soon become expert at balancing that for you.

All the best

Pushkin :good:

Edited by Pushkin

Up until the episodes of going high was testing when feeling not quite right (following doctors advice) :( . When going high since Nov would say mainly testing 2 hrs ish after meals. After being put on Gliclazide was testing before a meal and 2 hours ish after meals.

Now identified the times which gives me concern is before breakfast (to give the days starting point), before lunch as that is where it dips to the 4's and before bed at around 10.30 to 11.00 pm and random times around 2 hours after meals.

Also test before driving to double check every thing is ok (don't drive that much at the moment) so that would only be a few times a week.

I have ordered a diary / will prob end up doing on on excel, getting to see the dietician might be the next obsticle as that will be like trying to see a diabetic nurse.

I normally eat wholemeal bread, though when I eat white bread or eat food with white floor in, that appears to rocket the BS levels and looks like more work to be done in tracking this to a more extensive short list of items. Where before Nov, I could have the odd treat when having them with other food, this is now not the case :( .

I've been a type 1 diabetic for over 50 years (Diabetes UK gave me a gold medal - hurrah!, presumably for surviving this long :lol: )

I've found that the answer to keeping well and avoiding the nasty long-term side effects is to eat small quantities of complex (low GI) carbohydrates, lots of leafy green veg and legumes and lean meat.

I eat few if any sweets, but do enjoy the occasional square or two of 85% dark chocolate.

This, together with regular exercise and matching my insulin intake with the expected carbohydrate load keeps my glucose levels within an acceptable range.

Admittedly, I have the advantage that I can adjust my insulin if the glucose levels are out of range.

As far as the DVLA are concerned, I have been driving as a diabetic since I was 17 with no problems, just a requirement to fill in a health questionnaire every 3 years. However, I note that they are now suggesting that I test my sugar levels before every occasion that I drive :o

My understanding of type 2 diabetes is that, if you can keep the weight off, control improves.

So I would suggest lose weight, eat low GI carbohydrates and don't worry if you do have to go on to insulin, because you may be able to control your glucose levels easier with it

It's not just a fat ***'s problem, although many who have it have it beacuse of the weight, diet and lifestyle.

I have a mate who is a builder and he is fit as a whippet but has type II.

I am on statins at the mo and last blood test, cholesterol was down to 3.6. Yahoo!!

Just had the HBa1c and in the new style the numbers were 58, then he says I need to loose 14 KG wants me down to 15 stone 10 1/2 pounds or 100 KG, don't think I have been that light since leaving school in the 70's. They also want a retest in 4 months time, with no mention of refering to the hospital.

They are keeping me on 3000 mg of metformin and 80 mg of gliclazide in the morning. I made a error in eating the other night I had a gammon steak, 2 eggs and a slice of wholemeal breadaround 7 pm and thought that would be ok, and around 11 pm, BS was down to 3.5 and did not feel as any thing was out of wack.

My checks now are morning for referance starting levels, before lunch time, and before bed time. Also test before driving as I noticed on the diabetes forum that they are saying the same about DVLA wanting people to test before driving.

Edited by BerettaSV10

How many diabetics are aware of the DVLA's new guide line on driving. In that before you drive you are supposed to test your BS, and then re-test every 2 hours, you should now always carry your meter with you so that you can test yourself, (suppose then the people in blue can then check your levels).

Also if you are below 5.0 you should not drive until you have had some thing to boost your suger levels and you have to wait I think it was 45 mins before you can drive to ensure your BS level is stable above 5.0.

This will effect any one that is on BS medication that can cause one to go low, like insulin, gliclazide etc. This could cause problems to Diabetics whose GP won't provide test strips or limits the supply of them. Though with these guidlines will give those who can't get strips the aminition to go back to their GP and say that they are being told to test so they need the strips. This affects type 1 and 2 diabetics, with the exception of those on metforrmin alone as that does not cause lows.