Driven day advice

Casey1875

Mr Rizzini is not having a laugh. He knows no better and his strong opinions count for less due to his lack of experience.

Swiss Tony has experienced driven days and out of genuinely held convictions does not like the codes which go with most driven shooting.

I know who I would rather invite out pigeon shooting out of the two of them.

lack of experience ? I wouldn't be seen dead in a hide with anyone who thinks paying £1000 + for one days shooting is normal. One days pigeon shooting which is far more testing than pheasants cost nothing so perhaps your £1000 could be better spend on a cancer charity or something as its obvious that being seen and heard talking about £1000+ shoot days is more important than helping other people. I have worked on Baron O'Neill's estate and can tell you that I have seen first hand all the goats acting like the kings around each other and better still I know half of them would be useless on a days pigeon shooting due to their practise on easy birds ;)

As said before, each to their own but my opinion is my opinion and there is snobbery in every hobby but shooting seems to take the biscuit more than others.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't believe in keeping things for traditions sake, traditionally 99% would never beable to shoot pheasants as it was the preserve of the really rich. Tweed etc was just so the rich knew what estate you were from.

I do however believe in repect and manners, I'm a wildfowler through and through but my shooting partner is a member of a small syndicate. He invites me to the last shoot of the year, out of respect to my friend and save him any unecessary embaressment I bought a cheap pair of mole skins and a shirt. I only have a semi auto, when told this was not suitable I borrowed his spare o/u.

The shoots are ok, most of the guns are fine, a couple are full of themselves but thats life. I bought the clothes out of repect for my friend and behaved as expected because I was brought up with manners . Its not difficult really.if invited to a shoot dress as requested or don't go.

My personal view is that its mass slaughter and granted shooting.

Now i have experience. Growing up with a game keeper in the family.

And tbh it attracts some right tools.

Ignorance is rife. Ttypical oldish bloke, more money than brains. Shoots a couple of birds. Now i was always taught to take the birds of the gun. Polite and ask sir if he would like his birds carrying. Then the ignorant tool just pushes them at you and doesn't say thankyou.

Now the ones who do have money and arnt just playing at it are the best guns. Always polite.

A royal gun, let me shoot a mallard on the pond outside of his home when i was a kid.

Never look down at you like the ones who aspire to be like them.

Usually the more £££s the shoot the more tools it attracts.

Edited by cockercas

My personal view is that its mass slaughter and granted shooting.

Now i have experience. Growing up with a game keeper in the family.

And tbh it attracts some right tools.

Ignorance is rife. Ttypical oldish bloke, more money than brains. Shoots a couple of birds. Now i was always taught to take the birds of the gun.

That could be said of any number of hobbies. Tools, as you put it are not exclusive to driven shoots

Best order some vinegar to go with all these chips....!

As has been mentioned previously, there is a wide variety of people on shoot days, some loaded, some not, some are turdss, some not. Just the same as a clay shoot, or any large group of pigeon shooters.

Not wanting to mix with people because they worked harder/longer/smarter or got luckier than you is just daft.If you were less worried about what they drove or earnt and took them at face value then you might get on a bit better!

I don't cosider myself Posh, don't drive a Rangerover Sport (garish things), much prefer my Defender County, My Purdey is 80 years old (bought new by my grandfather) I have never paid more than a £1000 for a days shooting and whats more I have on occasions shot with pigeon shooters and from a distance you can't tell the difference!

but you have posh socks with tassels on and would you go tesco"s with them on or just on pheasant days with the other guns i just don't get the dressed up bit that's all

I've never met anyone from the 'upper class' who hasn't been completely lovely (and having hunted with hounds, showjumped, evented, played polo and shot with MANY, I feel I'm qualified to pass comment)

It's the folk who THINK they have money, like mr dopey ballcocks up above with his "£1000 a day" comment, that are the eejits. In my opinion anyway.

The real toffs call them "the fur coat and no knickers brigade". A range rover on the drive but no food in the fridge :good: