Online music streaming - Spotify?

ME

OK chaps,

I want to listen to more music whilst on line in the evenings.

I don't want to download stuff, just listen. Is the best option Spotify?

Also I would like to stream the music to an amp. I was thinking of buying a docking station and streaming via bluetooth from the PC (via a Bluetooth dongle) to the docking station?

I have an iPod touch, maybe I should ditch the PC idea and use the iPod to stream the music?

I don't want to spend loads on it otherwise i would just go out and buy a Sonos. We are just talking a cheap and cheerful solution.

And yeah, before anyone says it, I am feeling like a grandad asking this! This clip sums it up -

http://youtu.be/dSINO6MKtco

Edited by ME

Spotify, unless you pay, is only 10 hours a month and as said, only allows a certain number of repeats.

Napster allows a lot more for a fiver a month, streaming and download so look in to them.

Last.fm is good for free streaming though you cannot select exact music to listen to. It builds a playlist around an artist or genre you type in.

I guess that;s a key point above - if you want to listen to specific artists/albums that you specify then it's more tricky than just listening to music in general! There are so many internet radio stations now that you should be able to find something that fits your tastes perfectly!

If you don't want to pay for spotify, download an app onto your iPod touch called Jango Radio.

It is free and it is great. Put in an artist you like to create a new station then it will play music by that and similar artists. No adverts and works great. Plug it into your amp and away you go.

Very similar to what last fm and pandora used to be but you have to pay for them now.

Stream/play through iTunes and use AirPlay to output (via an Airport Express over your wifi network) to an amp/speakers of your choice. Can even get built in jobbies these days.

Also has the advantage that you can stream from your iPod/iPhone allowing you to easily change tracks etc while away from the laptop. Like when on the throne, for example.

About £70 for an Airport Express and then £10 or so for a cable to your amp.

Edited by twitchynik

Stream/play through iTunes and use AirPlay to output (via an Airport Express over your wifi network) to an amp/speakers of your choice. Can even get built in jobbies these days.

Also has the advantage that you can stream from your iPod/iPhone allowing you to easily change tracks etc while away from the laptop. Like when on the throne, for example.

About £70 for an Airport Express and then £10 or so for a cable to your amp.

I was looking for AirPlay setup before Christmas but didn't really want to spend the money as I have a nice amp and speakers. All of my iTunes music is on a nas hard drive on my network and I now have a setup where I can stream from that through my amp which cost a grand total of nothing!!

I have an app on my iPhone called plug player, same app on iPad. Plug either one into amp and then the other device acts as a remote, can scroll through cover art / playlists etc and press play on iPad and it will play through the iPhone and therefore amp - does exactly what I wanted AirPlay for and cost nothing.