Bisley premiers.

Vulcha

Right guys, I'm all out fo ammo. Nothing left atall. Not one round, well, except RWS hobbys for my pistol. But anyway, I was going to order some pellets in bulk and I saw that the .177 bisley premiers had guide rings on them, so I thought they might be pretty decent. My main target is bunnies with the occasional pigeon, crow, magpie, etc. I was using AA fields, but switched to magnums because that was all I had and found the magnums much better for the rabbits, but didn't fire any at birds so don't know what they're like for 'em. BUT, what I'm thinking is that these bisley premiers are pointy, so should be good for birds but have the same weight so should be good for the rabbits aswell. I'm using a BSA Hornet at 12ft/lbs. What dya reckon of these premiers? Anything else I should look at?

you seem to have the idea that its pointed for feather as for better penetration. sorry but long been thrown out the window.

find a pellet that suits YOUR air rifle and stick to that one.

try it on paper first.

then see if it works on the practicle side of your sport. practice will prevail

just changed the barrel on my air rifle and not happy with it untill i can hit what i aim at on paper. Then and only then will i go after the bunnies.

R7 10 years old had it since new shot well over 500,000 pellets and dont know how many live targets ie;- rabbits pigeons squirrels rats and other stuff

Pointed pellets = inconsistant point of impact.......use 'em for plinking, but they're not good enough for live game. With pointed pellets any manufacturing defects (and there are many) are magnified whilst the pellet is in flight. As for penetration....there is some evidence that you do get better penetration but at the cost of less deformation and thus less energy transfer which means more animals crawling away to die painfully if you are only slightly off the mark. Try anything and everything in dome, hollow or flat head until you find the best match for your rifle. Best bet would be to go back to AA Fields as you know they suit your rifle especially if you're buying in bulk

I used to belive in pointed tip pellets until some guy at the gun dealers said "Yeh if you want to let your quarry crawl away in pain and die a slow death"

He then began to advise me that its the shock that kills them, imagine a domed pellet straight to the kill zone, a pointed pellet will simply penetrate, a domed or flatter pellet will crack them on the head with great force, giving a better energy transfer and killing them

As for the type, well there are types which suit different guns.

I use webley venom laserdomed pellets, accurate and trustworthy, although sometimes they can be damaged quite easily.

The guy in the gun shop changed my mind to domed pellets when he said "what would you rather be hit in the face with when it is travelling at 200mph a shot put or a javelin (spelling) Shot put would kill instantly were the javelin would pass through you and you would die slowly

I can vouch for that actually....I shot a dove with a pointed pellet in 22 at about 15 yards and it went in one side and out the other...and the poor ****** was still alive! I had to recock (lucky it was a multishot) and finish him off with a clean second shot to the head. I stick with Domed pellets too now, but Pointed pellets still have their uses as long as you aim only for the head.

-Andrew