I bet many of you are enjoying the "Iron Lady" on ITV?

ME

Not one person in all the 120 odd posts has mentioned council house tenants getting the 'right to buy'. I can hear the cynics say, "oh but that was just for votes".

Well maybe that was in the thinking of the policy and why shouldnt it be, because as i see it, it was a positive way of encouraging tory votes, you got your house that you had paid rent on for years with a nice discount, the government got readies and less liability and council neighbourhoods improved because people had a stake in where they lived.

Far better than flooding the country with 4 million unneeded or deliberately creating an underclass for your voting stock.

Thatcher politics were real, and thought out for the betterment of most in society, not an elite few, as so many like to imagine.

Edited by unapalomablanca

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have missed my post about my Uncle George Unapalomablanca :shifty: . He was a massive Maggie fan for that very reason.

On an estate in Leeds, you can see the difference in the sections where people have bougt their own house. I agree with all your points.

Oops, the railways and their associated businesses are an industry, i agree they are a disgrace but it is one thing that should never have been privatised. Years of underinvestment by many governments plus the unions have brought it to where it is now.

The franchise periods are not long enough to allow investors to get a return so really there was no benefit in privatisation.

There is a rumour that our friend Dr Beeching had big interests in road transport.....who knows

Hear hear Paul, i like that one. Gormless Gordon solved "Tory" boom & bust. Clearly, Labour boom & bust is different...

Not one person in all the 120 odd posts has mentioned council house tenants getting the 'right to buy'. I can hear the cynics say, "oh but that was just for votes".

Well maybe that was in the thinking of the policy and why shouldnt it be, because as i see it, it was a positive way of encouraging tory votes, you got your house that you had paid rent on for years with a nice discount, the government got readies and less liability and council neighbourhoods improved because people had a stake in where they lived.

Far better than flooding the country with 4 million unneeded or deliberately creating an underclass for your voting stock.

Thatcher politics were real, and thought out for the betterment of most in society, not an elite few, as so many like to imagine.

i must admit my 1st house came of the council half price

Yup he sure did however the OP was about Thatcher i'm sure if you start your own thread on gordon brown the opinion would be much the same :good:

I brought that up because you were going on about Thatcher selling everything off,

I was pointing out that Labour did the same.

:shaun:

And while the proles fight it out online for fading hero's and villains, the global thieves in their coffee shops and warehouses rape the country by hiding their profits from the revenue, paying their employees less than a living wage that has to be bolstered with benifits paid for by the taxes of the proles until nothing remained.

I was a 15 year old lad living in Barnsley with his grandparents one of which was slowly dying through working in the pits at the time of the strike....we had nothing..!!! and my lasting memory of the man who brought me up is scrubbing the dirt out of the cuts on his back when we were in the bath and crying as he coughed up blood in the sink...i shall be dancing on her grave as well when she dies's but i hope it aint for a while yet as i understand she she's aint in too good health and i want her to suffer a while yet as he did.

I did, and I lived through Labour's winter of discontent. I remember the power-cuts, sitting in my coat in an unheated classroom and going home to candle light and parafin lamps. (We were lucky, we had a Rayburn with a back boiler so at least we had hot water and hot food, a lot of people didn't.) I remember how it took months to get a telephone connection; I remember the rotten useless BL cars our parents had to drive and subsidise; I remember the rubbish that went uncollected for weeks; I remember the ceaseless strikes, the runaway inflation and soaring prices; the unemployment, the misery, the anger... All before Margeret Thatcher came to power.

This made me smile.I look back on this time with nostalgic fondness as it brings back memeories of us all sitting in our front room playing cards and board games by the light of the fire and candles,and a big pan of water my Dad had wedged in the front of the fire to heat for our hot water bottles.We just got on with it back then;what would be the response if it happened now I wonder.

I was a 15 year old lad living in Barnsley with his grandparents one of which was slowly dying through working in the pits at the time of the strike....we had nothing..!!! and my lasting memory of the man who brought me up is scrubbing the dirt out of the cuts on his back when we were in the bath and crying as he coughed up blood in the sink...i shall be dancing on her grave as well when she dies's but i hope it aint for a while yet as i understand she she's aint in too good health and i want her to suffer a while yet as he did.

Not a pleasant experience I must admit,but how can M.Thatcher be responsible for the above?

They are not even playing the system. They are doing precisely what teh system allows them to do.

Personally i do not like any of the coffee shops. They are an overpriced americanism that arrived a few years ago and now most of the generation under 30 seem to have a paper cup permanently welded to their hands and litter from these is everywhere.

They cannot decide how much tax they want to pay. it's either due or it is not. Morally it is wrong but the law is the law. We need accountants to make laws, not politicians.

Loopholes need to be closed. The tax code increased dramatically under new Labour

KDR, your comment also fits in with a comment one of my uncles made.

" At least my grandkids won't have to go down that ******g hole.

Putting aside opinions etc. It was and still is a filthy and dangerous job and the men that did it have my utmost respect.

Same as above, how is that Thatchers fault?

you say you had nothing, Scargill did, oh and a lot of miners up here had food parcels sent from Russian and Polish miners

Conditions down the pits were bad but you cant blame Thatcher for that, my Grandad also died of mining related diseases but I wouldnt blame ANY politician for it?

So you wouldnt blame in any way Scargill then for at least not trying to make the strike official and therefore enabling the TUC to get involved in what would have been almost a general strike....a strike with backing they would have won (to the detriment of the country I might add)

If Scargill had been any sort of leader he would have soon realised it was a strike he couldnt win on his own, his arrogance was to blame for what you and your family endured

Hmmmmm

Suprised nobody has thought of blaming Thatcher for the great potato famine/General strike/plague

Edited by shaun4860

What an absolutely despicable post. Its why forums need a moderator.

Feel for you to see that but she never forced him to go down the mines ,I work with x miners and the story's they come out with is to be fair disgusting , in 80 they were getting 30 grand plus, getting paid and bonus for not being at work, there mates covering for them while they slept, these are just a few don't get me wrong they are nice guys but come on they thought they ruled the roast

Yes it's despicable but no worse than somone might say in a pub or round a dinner table.

It's still a free country.

I never understood why just because someone was a miner, they were some sort of working class hero. I can think of loads of jobs that are just as noble. To blame a leader for someones industrial disease and then to gloat over that persons pain and decline shows a lack of thought.

I seem to remember these miners priced themselves out of the market and then got very bolshie when they killed the goose and there was no going back.

I mean it wasnt like they were forced out wih nothing, loads set up businesses with their pay offs, and get this, loads excercised their hated thatchers 'right to buy' on their council homes.

I also remember in the news, the slab thrown off the motorway bridge that resulted in a murder, but i suppose thats forgotten now.

I never understood why just because someone was a miner, they were some sort of working class hero. I can think of loads of jobs that are just as noble. To blame a leader for someones industrial disease and then to gloat over that persons pain and decline shows a lack of thought.

I seem to remember these miners priced themselves out of the market and then got very bolshie when they killed the goose and there was no going back.

I mean it wasnt like they were forced out wih nothing, loads set up businesses with their pay offs, and get this, loads excercised their hated thatchers 'right to buy' on their council homes.

I also remember in the news, the slab thrown off the motorway bridge that resulted in a murder, but i suppose thats forgotten now.

I remember that it was a taxi driver if I'm not mistaken