Any reason I shouldn't buy a Ruger Old Army ?

Catweazle

After a bit of research I'm almost set on buying a Ruger Old Army revolver. Before I write the cheque, is there any reason I would be better off with a different model ?

If this is the right choice for a quality BP revolver, and you have some experience of it, what load would you recommend for 25yd target use ?

Cheers,

Cat "in a cloud of smoke" Weazle.

I bought one after shooting Smith and Wesson revolvers in fullbore.

The Ruger BP version was to me not very good, if you're lucky you might get all chambers to go off, mine was not an accurate pistol at all. I tried many different loads and eventually got rid of it.

I bought a replica duelling single shot Charles Moore in it's place and that was one very accurate muzzle loader :good:

If you buy a Ruger the stainless steel version can be cleaned in the dishwasher, makes life much easier.

Edited by BlaserF3

I was talking to a guy at the range the other day who was shooting one. He loved his, he said one thing he had been warned about when shopping for BP guns was wear in the knock in wedge that locks the barrel, cylinder and frame together on the Colts, which isnt a problem with the Ruger, different system completely. The stainless Ruger seems to have a really good reputation, but is a big old bit of kit, not for those with small hands or weak wrists! :)

His gun was excellent though, very heavy, but really well balanced, with a VERY satisfying bang and cloud of smoke, big grin factor! Good luck and post some pics if you get it.

I have a brass powder flask for a pistol-its been used for a .36 cal but you simply change the nozzle I believe (Krank sells them for about a fiver)-its yours if you want it-just pm me your address.

That's very kind Bruno, I'll do that if you'll let me at least pay the postage. PM on the way.

I bought one after shooting Smith and Wesson revolvers in fullbore.

The Ruger BP version was to me not very good, if you're lucky you might get all chambers to go off, mine was not an accurate pistol at all. I tried many different loads and eventually got rid of it.

I bought a replica duelling single shot Charles Moore in it's place and that was one very accurate muzzle loader :good:

If you buy a Ruger the stainless steel version can be cleaned in the dishwasher, makes life much easier.

That's worrying. Did you find out what was causing the problems ? It might help me avoid a lemon.

After a bit of research I'm almost set on buying a Ruger Old Army revolver. Before I write the cheque, is there any reason I would be better off with a different model ?

If this is the right choice for a quality BP revolver, and you have some experience of it, what load would you recommend for 25yd target use ?

Cheers,

Cat "in a cloud of smoke" Weazle.

The Ruger OA is a good choice for a BP revolver if you just want to enjoy shooting it. The Colt and the Remington BP revolvers are fairly faithful reproductions of the originals, but of course the Ruger only pays lip service to being a "cowboy gun", In the style of, you might say.

The good points are, it's stainless, which is a big bonus as cleaning a blued BP revolver after a days shooting is not a 10 minute job, every spec of residue must be cleaned out or it will be a heap of rust next time you use it.

It has adjustable sights and although there are also Remington copys with adjustable sights, the standard Remington and Colts were just a crude filed notch. If you get into competition shooting you can't enter the standard BP revolver match without fixed sights.

The guts are modern. ie it has all coil springs rather than leaf springs and it locks up as well as a modern revolver.

As long as attention is paid to a regular loading routine and quality balls of the right size are used these pistols are very accurate, just as accurate as a modern revolver but as with all pistol shooting it does take a LOT of practice.

There are other good quality BP revolvers about, for example the stainless Rogers and Spencer etc. They are all good fun but personally I much prefer the Remington rather than the Colt.

Revolvers have chambers and the transition of the ball to the bore may not be the same on every chamber, due to manufacturing issues. It's also difficult to load every chamber with exactly the same load.

Mine used to "spit" badly, that means shave lead off the ball when it jumped the gap from the chamber to the barrel. Rugers were held in low esteem compared to S&W revolvers. I would try a few different makes before you decide which one to buy.

I found this http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/COLTREM/COLT%20OR%20REMINGTON.htm at the bottom of the page the author strongly recommends the RUGER.

Edited by BlaserF3

Check that spares are avalable for it. I think they stopped making them a while ago. I have a Euroarms Remington .44 and no chance of getting spares for that.

I checked, parts are available from Ruger and from third parties. Uncle Mikes nipples are recommended ( I never thought I'd write that ). In any case I could make any part I needed, and it uses modern coil springs which are more reliable than the traditional flat type.

I have a brass powder flask for a pistol-its been used for a .36 cal but you simply change the nozzle I believe (Krank sells them for about a fiver)-its yours if you want it-just pm me your address.

What a Gent :good: Flask and spare nipples arrived in the post today, and he won't take a penny for the postage. I hope I can return the favour.