First day walked up pheasant shooting.

Got my first day walked up pheasant shooting tomorrow, going with a customer from work. Shot pigeon, crows etc from a hide and walking hedge rows but never game while walking.

Anyone got any top tips? or just do the same as I normally would. needless to say I'm really looking forwards to it.

Thanks in advance Chris.

Just relax and enjoy it and dont shoot low birds,I think there is nothing better than walking up hedgerows with the dogs and not knowing what is going to turn up.

Most of what you find walked up game shooting is low going away birds, so as long as the shot is safe take it! Dont let them get too far ahead before shooting them as there isn't much of a kill zone at the back end of a Pheasant so shooting it early will give better penetration.

They can sit tight until the last minute then burst out; give your self a second or two so your pattern will work for you.

Of the many walked up birds I have shot they very rarely go straight away from you, that little bit of angle is nice as most of our shooting is with some form of lead even just a tiny bit.

Don’t shoot low but don’t hold back as there will be some one ready to kill it.

Enjoy the day.......

TEH

Most of what you find walked up game shooting is low going away birds, so as long as the shot is safe take it! Dont let them get too far ahead before shooting them as there isn't much of a kill zone at the back end of a Pheasant so shooting it early will give better penetration.

:lol: just enjoy your self :good:back end will give better penetration. :lol: :lol:

:lol:

:lol:

•  

Safety is first priority, make sure you know the shot is not going into hedgerows etc if there is any chance someone could be the other side. Enjoy the day is second priority and if you are working a dog make sure it stays within 10 yards of you and not putting up birds too far off you to shoot. You will find they are pretty quick off the mark as it is already.

Have a great time and stay safe.

Safety is first priority, make sure you know the shot is not going into hedgerows etc if there is any chance someone could be the other side. Enjoy the day is second priority and if you are working a dog make sure it stays within 10 yards of you and not putting up birds too far off you to shoot. You will find they are pretty quick off the mark as it is already.

Have a great time and stay safe.

Excellent advice :good:

Thanks for all the responses. i really enjoyed myself today and managed to get myself my first ever pheasant and a brace. Could not reload fast enough and they are hard to shoot as they soon get up and go away from you fast. Hope to do it again soon. Here is a picture of my first ever pheasant and first brace.

firstbrace_zpsea4599d6.jpg

Thanks again chris

Thanks for all the responses. i really enjoyed myself today and managed to get myself my first ever pheasant and a brace. Could not reload fast enough and they are hard to shoot as they soon get up and go away from you fast. Hope to do it again soon. Here is a picture of my first ever pheasant and first brace.

firstbrace_zpsea4599d6.jpg

Thanks again chris

Well done, so how did you go about it, did they just get up under your feet? Did they 1/4 a way ?

TEH