Norfolk Flush 9th March

hitclays

It's the same at the shoot I work at. I'm sure people just imagine that it takes 10 minutes to sort it all out and get it packed away and ours isn't on the scale of yours. The cartridges are a pain in the ****, a flush I can understand as you need to be quick but if flick my cartridges anywhere but in my hand I go out of my way to pick them up. My opinion.

empty cartridges are a pain,but i have not even mentioned them in this thread.

One thing that i did notice,all the 3 flushes that were shot yesterday,all the shooters picked up their cartridges at the end of each flush but in the woods on the sporting there were a few hundred laying around.Only difference i can see, the flushes had refs.

Edited by hitclays

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

empty cartridges are a pain,but i have not even mentioned them in this thread.

One thing that i did notice,all the 3 flushes that were shot yesterday,all the shooters picked up there cartridges at the end of each flush but in the woods on the sporting there were a few hundred laying around.Only difference i can see, the flushes had refs.

I notice the difference between hay balers and registered shoots with refs on the stands. People feel obliged when someone is standing on the stand but when there's not there all over the place.

Hey Alan, I don't think you need to dignify the odd jerk with an answer , we know how hard you work and how expensive it is to run any public event these days, you have to be dedicated and put customers first, you do a great job and 99.9% of us know and appreciate it, many thanks for your hard work and that of your team also, great job, keep it up. :good: :good:

Alan, you and the team do a fantastic job in getting these events organised, it is without doubt one of the best value days anywhere.

It is bad manners to throw empty cartridges on the ground when bins are provided on a sporting layout, indeed if you do this where I normally shoot you will get warned and asked to pick them up.

What I found real interesting was someone who was not at the event, and per you post, has never shot with you/us chipping his 2p in.

Keep up the excellent work, look forward to seeing one of these events nearer to home ;-)

I thought this was a business so 76 x £22 + tea & burger van comes out at £1672 + so take away the over heads and thats not a bad paid day. i wouldn't mind doing some picking up and people not turning up at that sort of pay out, go to Mildenhall and see how many cartridges are on the floor. sorry just my 2p worth.

Clearly, fine business advice and support.....so we can expect an excellent flush and sporting layout being run by somone else in the near future for the forum??....somehow I can't see anyone else volunteering and taking on such a weather dependent event......

Also a big thanks to Alan, Mel, John and Nicky without whom and their tireless efforts, these events just would not happen!

I agree with the comment elsewhere which suggests a nominal booking charge when registering to offset the ease not to show up on the day and effectively block others from attending.....

Edited by Stuart Mackay

i enjoy Alan`s banter on his normal days and as for the flush it is the best value for money a shooter can have and the food which i felt some people took the p$$$ by taking so much and not thinking how many other shooters was there look great. it would of cost you £22 just for the food especially them from the south :lol:

Nicola did scare me " PICK YOUR CARTRIDGES UP" :lol:

but i always do and i also picked up cartridges left by others

but i must admit the best fun i had to do with this subject was watching the young lady on the sporting picking hers up

will she or won,t she FULL OVER :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry who ever it was and we did gee your husband/boyfriend to do what he was suggesting behind you :whistling:

GREAT DAY ALAN AS ALWAYS. AND A BIG THANKS FROM ME AND OUR TEAM

and for letting two of them shoot with you and john

Edited by bazzashadow

Anyway, getting back on track, Thanks to Alan, John and Nicola for a very entertaining day, and it was good to see so many people smiling despite the rain.

PS, Alan I'm on night shift this week, do you fancy shooting a few pigeons during the day up at Swanton. Its a lot easier than organizing a flush shoot.

106 Clays!!!! I think Terry must have hit a bottle of the Amber nectar when he got home.

Well done to my fellow team members (Gonk69, Canis and Wharf Rat), considering the fact that we had not shot together before, getting joint second was great.

Reference the cost and value: the time that is put in to set up the day and the security of the sight to ensure that the day goes as planned is a testiment to Alan and his teams commitment. I find it sad that so many people have let him down and can only suggest to Allan that he considers getting a payment up front system set up. Paypal or bank transfer would probably be the best way to sort it. You put the time in, you give every one a good time scale notice, so therefor are in your rights to expect to be paid by those that commit to attending. On the day if they fail to turn up it is their loss and not yours and so it should be.

On a brighter note, any news of the Saturday night shananigans at the Ploughshare? :drinks: , it looked to br heading to be a really great night, roll on the next Flush, it will definately be a stay over job for me.

we kept john busy behind the car put it that way think only myself and Scott (super sharp shooter )left at the end as people slowly drifted off but a cracking day and night had by all

and the coat and cart bag as just about dried out now

we kept john busy behind the car put it that way think only myself and Scott (super sharp shooter )left at the end as people slowly drifted off but a cracking day and night had by all

and the coat and cart bag as just about dried out now

And what was you doing with John behind the car ?

Always thought there was something dodgy about you :lol:

hands up who only shot 106 cartridges yesterday i will tell you NO ONE.

Now icu2,

you have no idea have you.

firstly i have to buy the traps and yesterday there was over £40000 worth being used.Not to mention service and repairing them.Then you have land rent paid for each shoot.No shoot would take place with out insurance which costs me over £7000 each year.Then i need to buy the clays not to mention paying rent for the storage of them.There were three flushes yesterday which were all ran from flush boxes specially made for the job,another £2000.Staff wages need to be paid for refs.Then you have my Vehicles and trailers plus fuel.Then my time effort and know how which money cant buy.

The flush and sporting is set up on friday starting at 9 am ,i stay with my traps over night ( gypsies) then finish setting up,run the shoot organising 76 shooters on the day of the shoot ,then put everything away back at the lock up before i see my home again.

The next day i sort out all the rubbish ,batteries and traps which takes approx another 4 hours.

So as its no doubt beginning to dawn on you there is a lot more going on to put on a shoot than you realise,as it starts on thursday loading up and finishes monday afternoon.

I put these shoots on to meet and shoot with like minded people that i can now call friends,You have not shot with me so i dont put you in that catagory and probably never will.

Where else can you shoot what the guys did on saturday for £22,i will tell you ,no where because they would go out of business.The whole point of the flushes are not to make money,but to meet and have a laugh,something you will not be part of.

I own other businesses and property from where i earn my living.The tea/bacon butty bar comes to my shoots free of charge,i do not and have never received a penny from them.Almost forgot to mention the FREE FOOD in the pub for all shooters after each shoot.

icu2....CLUELESS

Well i thought i didn't insult you hitclays and just said qoute " i thought this was a business " i must of hit a sore point for you to go into one like this, you could of quite easily of just explained it in a nicer way without being so insulting and patronising.

Yes i might be CLUELESS but thats what forums are all about , teaching people that don't know and not bullying them and his followers joining in, i have never shot with you and by your attitude i feel i wouldn't want to shoot with you.

I made two posts on this and and feel i said nothing wrong but you always get the keyboard bullies.

I thought this was a business so 76 x £22 + tea & burger van comes out at £1672 + so take away the over heads and thats not a bad paid day. i wouldn't mind doing some picking up and people not turning up at that sort of pay out, go to Mildenhall and see how many cartridges are on the floor. sorry just my 2p worth.

Definitely, but you always get some, i have always picked up my cartridges weather i'm shotgun shooting or rifle shooting, my farmers just would not allow me to shoot if i left a mess. so i would imagine its the same for hitclays, he must make sure its tidy.

I cant say why you would find his reply insulting , he is just stating some facts .

Your now saying forums are to teach people who "don't know" yet you assumed you knew enough to comment on a thread about a shoot you were not even attending .

Forums should be about giving and receiving good advice not talking clap trap about something you know nothing about .

I would guess you are feeling no more insulted than Alan is by you suggesting he is making a "Tidy profit " from these flushes.

alan thanks for a brilliant day, even with the liquid sunshine, met some good guys and even a pleasent welder,lol brilliant day superb value will definately be coming again. cant wait, cheers matt

Hi Matt glad you had a good day see you next time was nice to meet you

cheers

Rob ( the the welder )

What i wrote was not an insult it was far to mild,infact what i wanted to write would not get passed by the mods.

For someone with such little time spent on this forum as a member,may be a little more time reading instead of posting comments on things you know nothing about would be more beneficial for you in the longer term.

Your idea of me " going off on one " was my way of giving you an insight into what putting on a clay shoot actually entails

.As for your comment about " my followers joining in ".The people that have posted a reply to your original comment have done so off their own backs,with no contact from me.Another bit of advice i would give you before you alienate yourself with a lot of these PW members is take time to read what they have put, as regarding my shoots they have the edge over you in that they have shot at mine before and therefore are more informed and suitable to pass judgement on what goes on compared to you who has never shot at a shoot of mine,but chooses to make comments on an open forum.Surely common courtesy allows me the same avenue of response.

The last point you make about not wanting to shoot at my shoots i can totally understand as you obviously know and have done everything worth doing

Edited by hitclays

Doesnt matter if I pay £100 for 10 clays or £10 for 100 i would still pick my own cartridges up, with a normal ejector o/u or s/s it adds no time at all on the sporting round to catch the cartridges and throw them in the bin as they come out the gun. On the flush you eject them over your shoulder as its fractionally quicker but takes about 1 minute to pick them up after wards.

Edited by ferguson_tom

What i wrote was not an insult it was far to mild,infact what i wanted to write would not get passed by the mods.

For someone with such little time spent on this forum as a member,may be a little more time reading instead of posting comments on things you know nothing about would be more beneficial for you in the longer term.

Your idea of me " going off on one " was my way of giving you an insight into what putting on a clay shoot actually entails

.As for your comment about " my followers joining in ".The people that have posted a reply to your original comment have done so off their own backs,with no contact from me.Another bit of advice i would give you before you alienate yourself with a lot of these PW members is take time to read what they have put, as regarding my shoots they have the edge over you in that they have shot at mine before and therefore are more informed and suitable to pass judgement on what goes on compared to you who has never shot at a shoot of mine,but chooses to make comments on an open forum.Surely common courtesy allows me the same avenue of response.

The last point you make about not wanting to shoot at my shoots i can totally understand as you obviously know and have done everything worth doing

Alan,

Dont worry, i think wre all have concluded that if you offered him something for free he'd want a discount! and i wouldnt be so embarassed about making a profit, The realities of the costs of the consumables and equipment investment involved in clay pigeon shooting mean that even the smallest shoot has to be mindfull of commercial realities. .

I dont know if im more shocked that someone thinks that £22 for 106 and a quarter clays means a large proffit or that on average every shooter took an extra 26 clays each on a 50 bird sporting, (10 is reasonable to see the pair but the rest is unexcusable.) or 50c people who thought it was acceptable to book but not turn up

Thanks again Alan, I'll be in contact about bringing the flush to kent

I for one dont mind if Alan makes millions out of running the flushes good luck to him, I'm only to glad to come along and spend time shooting, meeting like minded folks and having a damm good laugh ( or least giving people a laugh at my shooting ) and even the cartridges are the cheapest I can buy as well so he cant be making much out of them either :good: . "good on ya Alan"

I for one dont mind if Alan makes millions out of running the flushes good luck to him, I'm only to glad to come along and spend time shooting, meeting like minded folks and having a damm good laugh ( or least giving people a laugh at my shooting ) and even the cartridges are the cheapest I can buy as well so he cant be making much out of them either :good: . "good on ya Alan"

+1 excellent days shooting

Ditto that, looking forward to the next one