ferreting

monkey

If money is the issue,don`t bother as you have to feed the ferrets for 365 days a year.

Finders are not necessary but they save time and effort.

hi my two ferrets are on a dry mix with occasional cat food and kitten milk it aint i dont want t spend the money i have just been told different things by people.

I don't work ferrets with locator collars on.

If I get a lay up, then I will send down a ferret with a locator and mark where they stop for a while, then start digging.

A lot of the time (especially on shallow earths) you can hear where the layup is and don't need a collar.

If for some reason you have no collar, or its too difficult to dig ( a lot of sandstone where I go), then you have no alternative but to wait.

Sometimes you will have to leave a carrying box by the holes and come back early the next morning to look for your ferret.

I have never lost a ferret, with or without a locator.

Don't worry, people were successfully ferreting before locators were invented.

If you have good enough ground you can feed your ferrets free,but to do that you need to work the burrows well(ish) .To get the best out of it you need to get enough to feed your ferrets and a few for yourself.

If you have exceptional ground,you will be able to make a profit,however you will need more than 2 ferrets

and therefore need more rabbits to feed them so you need more ground..........

I found the collars/finder indespensible when the ferrets are young and I was inexperienced,but I still need to use them.If you had 2 jills and a hob you could have used the jills as loose workers and when you had a blank period or lie up you could collar the hob and find the dead/bottled up bunny/ferret.

Experience comes with time and the collar/finder IMHO is essential.