Teachers go home early

Gadge-it

I am 36 and can not think of a time my school was closed, but times are different now, Heath and Saftey is mad, mos tchildren might live close to school, but in todays job and life styles, teachers might live many miles away or even in different county.

I know my wife has just set of on what will be a 2hr trip for 35 miles over the snow covered yorkshire wolds. So you only need 2 or 3 teachers that can not make it in due to travel distance and due to H&S not enough people to cover..

Its not like a normal job where you just have a few more emials to get back to or can work from home.

Does anyone over the age of, say, 30, remember their school being closed when it snowed? I don't, and I checked with my mum and she didn't either, but she does recall one day when lots of parents struggled to get there to pick us up and we spent a few hours in the gym waiting for them. Can't have been that traumatic for me or I think I would have remembered.

In the meantime, all the schools in Milton Keynes were closed today, roads were perfectly clear and no further snow forecast today Somehow I managed to struggle the 45 miles to work in the usual time, as did every single one of my colleagues...

My wife works at the Open University, the campus was closed yesterday for the usual suspects of health & safety. If you managed to get there the barriers were down and no access on site.

When I was a kid all households cleared their front path and the pavement across their frontage, so the street was passable. The elderly or infirm had theirs done for them, it was a good way for us to supplement our pocket money if a tip was forthcoming, as it usually was. Still it wasn't a sue society then and people expected it to be slippery. They also wore the clothing and footwear appropriate to the conditions.

Back in the '70's we lost a few days at school due to the bad weather, not the amount of snow, but the fact that the outside, unheated, toilets were frozen!

When I was at school (left 86) only one kid got dropped off by car and he was regarded as a bit soft, the rest, hundreds of us, walked, got the bus or cycled in.

My wife is a teacher and her school stayed open all day as normal. The headmistress commutes from Northallerton to Walefield everyday and says if she can get there anyone can lol. (Thats about 1.5 hrs on the A1 at the best of times for thise not familiar with the lications)

I had to go home from work and pick up my kids from daycare as their school was open but daycare centre didnt dare drive 1000 yards down a main road to deliver them to schoo so it was safer for me to do a 20 mile round trip to save them 2000 yards. I do not intend to pay the bill for yesterday, it would have been cheaper just to put my onesie on and watch jeremy kyle.

Go figure?

they just had one room open at the nursery where my lad goes....wonder if can arrange a discount for it as they said when i dropped him off they might close....

I left school 2001, school often closed, usually because the bus company wouldn't run! Best was from my lane I could see the school bus on the main road (about a mile away) and often on a snowy day it would sail past the end of my lane, everyone else at school and I was off, brilliant! Ofcourse I could have walked to the main road if I knew thats what the bus driver wanted, but I wasn't about to try and find out!

Remember the older guys on here, even the milk was frozen, when you were milk monitor, your hands nearly froze to the steel crate:lol.

Those were the days, even the playground was turned into a slide or skating rink (WIMPS).

My wife works at the Open University, the campus was closed yesterday for the usual suspects of health & safety. If you managed to get there the barriers were down and no access on site.

When I was a kid all households cleared their front path and the pavement across their frontage, so the street was passable. The elderly or infirm had theirs done for them, it was a good way for us to supplement our pocket money if a tip was forthcoming, as it usually was. Still it wasn't a sue society then and people expected it to be slippery. They also wore the clothing and footwear appropriate to the conditions.

Well Said Mate bob on:

I understand that sometimes schools must close, but my sons senior school didn't announce it till kids got there the first time this happened. The next time it closed, it appeared on the school website about 8:30am.

This must really muck working families up, it wouldn't be difficult to make a judgement call by 7am to give folk a fair chance.

EDIT: We are a working family BTW! Just have the flexibility to work for ourselves!

Edited by ME