Whiffy Cocker

Puggers

A bit of a punt here but hoping there maybe some Cocker owners out there that have experienced this before or have any advice.

We have a three-year old female (neutered) Blue Roan show Cocker who is an absolute dream in every way other than she's recently started to absolutely stink despite being bathed regularly (this has been ruled out as a cause) and looked over for any obvious signs by the vet and given the all clear.

She doesn't roll in anything outdoors or jump into pools/ponds, etc but develops a sweaty sock (mmm, nice!) smell a couple of weeks at most after being washed and deodorised. She's on a low-fat dry diet.

I appreciate this is sometimes something that comes with dogs but having kept them before, it's not something we've experienced to such a degree with this breed.

She could be like some people and just have a natural whiff about her but I'm looking for any guidamce on whether anyone out there has experienced this with the breed and receommendations for anything that we can try to help her and save our noses.

All help and recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks all.

We have the same problem with our Zeb a 6yr old springer,as you said we bath him then within a week and a half he smells like dirty socks very unbearable at times we've tried changing his diet and now were thinking it might be his hormones and were thinking of getting him spade up to this we are abit lost for a cure?????

PM sent to philmypower.

Pesky - we ruled out hormones to a degree as she's been "done" but I guess there could be hormones left but still odd given it's only a recent thing and the vet hasn't suggested anything wrong with her but appreciate your reply and hope you resolve your situation too.

If I try anything that comes from other site members and works, I'll give you a shout.

Cheers

We have the same problem with our Zeb a 6yr old springer,as you said we bath him then within a week and a half he smells like dirty socks very unbearable at times we've tried changing his diet and now were thinking it might be his hormones and were thinking of getting him spade up to this we are abit lost for a cure? ????

Don't go asking your vet to spay your MALE dog - not unless you want to give him / her the giggles.....

You should check round her mouth as well. Cockers (and Springers) can get a bacterial gowth in the folds of skin around the mouth. It stinks as I know from experience (the dog had it, not me).

Try rubbing a cotton bud in the folds and then sniffing it. If it smells like rotten fish that have been eating rotten eggs wrapped in cabbage then it is time to buy some cider vinegar and use that to clean all round her mouth.

We feed her on Wainrights dry (low fat). She's always eaten it so we ruled that out on the grounds that her smell is a fairly recent thing.

Consensus seems to be ear mites and we'll be trying Thornit initially as a recommended over the counter remedy.