You have to see this bowman in action!!

turbo33

That is some amazing bowmanship

We didn't get to see the "misses", though, did we?

Personally, I don't think that it's good form to shoot flying quarry with a single-projectile weapon. After all, if someone asked whether it was OK to shoot small animals when his group sizes were, say, a foot across, I would've thought that answer would be, "no".

Regards,

Mark.

Christ the guy is hitting birds with an arrow, there are plenty of people missing them with shotguns.

This isn't the UK and they have large tracts of land so what applies here doesn't always apply there.

I can't see you can criticise, when we are so restricted to what we can do in the UK, you start to believe we are only the right ones!

Christ the guy is hitting birds with an arrow, there are plenty of people missing them with shotguns.

As I've already pointed out, we only saw the hits. One wonders how many were "missed".

This isn't the UK and they have large tracts of land so what applies here doesn't always apply there.

I was questioning the ethics, not the law.

I can't see you can criticise, when we are so restricted to what we can do in the UK, you start to believe we are only the right ones!

Perhaps it's just as well hunting with a bow isn't allowed in the UK. Arrows don't travel as fast as bullets and, as I understand it, that can result in animals moving because they hear the noise of the bow before the arrow arrives.

Perhaps someone who is knowledgable about this could comment upon this point.

Regards,

Mark.

Personally, I don't think that it's good form to shoot flying quarry with a single-projectile weapon. After all, if someone asked whether it was OK to shoot small animals when his group sizes were, say, a foot across, I would've thought that answer would be, "no".

Regards,

Mark.

Why ??

It's simple you either hit it or you miss it. Whats the problem with that ?

People shoot at running boar and deer with a rifle.

With more than one projectile, i.e. a shotgun, you're only making it easier for yourself, so if anything, maybe you should question the ethics of that.

It's simple you either hit it or you miss it.

You forgot the "maim" outcome.

Whats the problem with that ?

You don't "hit or miss". You shoot - whether with firearm or bow - a *group*. Your shot will land *somewhere* in there. The idea is to make sure that can pretty much guaratee that the shot will kill cleanly.

People shoot at running boar and deer with a rifle.

But rifles are easier to shoot accurately than bows and have much higher muzzle energy. I'd have to be pretty sure of my shootin' skills before I'd attempt that.

With more than one projectile, i.e. a shotgun, you're only making it easier for yourself, so if anything, maybe you should question the ethics of that.

The point is that with more projectiles comes a higher probability of a kill.

I believe that if you're shooting at live targets "for fun", then you should pretty sure of a kill.

Regards,

Mark.

What maim outcome ?

Are you trying to tell me that when you shoot something with your shotgun , you are sure of a clean kill every time. I think not.

There's only a couple of the tiny pellets usually hit the target. Sometimes only one pellet.

The impact energy of an arrow on a pigeon is a lot higher that that of a single shotgun pellet.

I am talking about someone shooting a pigeon with a bow and arrow here.

The comparison with the running boar, was just to point out that it is not uncommon to shoot at moving quarry with a single projectile.

I believe that you're slagging off all my comments, is because you can't see anyone else's opinion.

All your quotes of my comments are very weak.

Edited by caeser

I believe that you're slagging off all my comments, is because you can't see anyone else's opinion.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I thought about *your* posts.

All your quotes of my comments are very weak.

No, I don't think so. I appreciate that a farmer or someone employed in pest control may have a different take on things but, even so, I'd hope that they'd *try* to achieve clean kills.

I wouldn't agree, for example, with a "gun" attempting to take "high birds" when it was obviously beyond their capability.

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

What maim outcome ?

With any projectile, you don't *know* where it'll hit. Therefore, there are many different outcomes - not just "clean kill" or "complete miss". I would've thought that this was obvious.

Are you trying to tell me that when you shoot something with your shotgun , you are sure of a clean kill every time. I think not.

Of course not. But I don't consider myself a good enough shot with a shotgun to warrant shooting live targets. Hence, I only use a shotty for target shooting.

With an air rifle, I *will* shoot quarry (ie, vermin) but only at short range where I'm pretty sure of - but not *guaranteed* - a clean kill.

There's only a couple of the tiny pellets usually hit the target. Sometimes only on pellet.

I've no idea about this because of my aforementioned lack of experience.

The impact energy of an arrow on a pigeon is a lot higher that that of a single shotgun pellet.

Yeah, but there's (usually) a hell of a lot of them...

I am talking about someone shooting a pigeon with a bow and arrow here.

The comparison with the running boar, was just to point out that it is not uncommon to shoot at moving quarry with a single projectile.

But, as I've already pointed out, a bullets energy is going to be a lot higher resulting in a larger wound.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Sorry about the split post but editting on a 'Droid tablet ain't so easy when the forum software throws a wobbly over having too many quotes. (What's wrong with loads of quotes, I wonder?)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

With any projectile, you don't *know* where it'll hit. Therefore, there are many different outcomes - not just "clean kill" or "complete miss". I would've thought that this was obvious.

I said hit or miss, not clean kill or miss.

Of course not. But I don't consider myself a good enough shot with a shotgun to warrant shooting live targets. Hence, I only use a shotty for target shooting.

With an air rifle, I *will* shoot quarry (ie, vermin) but only at short range where I'm pretty sure of - but not *guaranteed* - a clean kill.

I shoot thousands of live quarry.

It could appear to me, you just disapprove of anyone shooting at live quarry with a shotgun. I'm beginning to think that you may be a bit of an anti. :rolleyes:

I've no idea about this because of my aforementioned lack of experience.

I have over 40 years experience with a shotgun, and rifles.

Yeah, but there's (usually) a hell of a lot of them...

No there's not.

But, as I've already pointed out, a bullets energy is going to be a lot higher resulting in a larger wound.

Like I said, we are talking about bows and arrows aimed at pigeon.If it hits it, it will bring it down. It isn't going to be maimed then fly off.

P.S. Sorry about the split post but editting on a 'Droid tablet ain't so easy when the forum software throws a wobbly over having too many quotes. (What's wrong with loads of quotes, I wonder?)

There's nothing wrong with loads of quotes, you need not apologise for them.

This could go on for a long time. :lol:

We may be better having this discussion over a pint, where we could answer things immediately , and maybe explain things better. The written word can quite often be taken several ways, and misinterpreted.

This could go on for a long time. :lol:

We may be better having this discussion over a pint, where we could answer things immediately , and maybe explain things better. The written word can quite often be taken several ways, and misinterpreted.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree.

A chat would, no doubt, be easier than typing on this tablet...

I'm not an anti but don't "kill for fun", as it were. I have shootin' buddies who do and, indeed, one of them now has my late father's Marlin M55 goose-gun because *I'd* never have a use for it. (I took it to the clay club but a three-foot barrel means that it's a bit of a handful - I had to unshoulder it before I could get through clubhouse door...)

Perhaps, if you're ever down in *my* area (Southampton), we'll meet at a PW shindig.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I still fink I'm right so, "nyer, nyer, nyer" to *you*. (Well, *I* thought that was funny...)