Variable or Fixed scope  

38 members have voted

1. 1. For RF

• Variable
    • Fixed
  2. 2. For CF

• Variable
    • Fixed

.22lr is more likely to be fixed (what I voted) but as Axe says with the longer ranges of the .17 variable may be a better option.

What you have, and what you actually use may be an interesting poll :good:

I bet a lot of variable owners leave ther scopes set to an optimum magnification. . .

Difficult to know how to answer this one.

I've got both fixed and variable scopes on my CFs, and tend to have the variables set for 6x most of the time - higher power (9 or 10x) when zeroing, foxing or taking particularly precise shots. The disadvantage of higher powers is the loss of field of view, which can make it more difficult to take follow up shots or shoot multiples.

So I'd guess that even with the variables, about 95% of the time I'm effectively using it as a fixed power.

Stuart, I already have one of those on the Quad. :lol: Gonna be using the CF for Fox, do you still think 12 is too big?

No I don't Axe, just seemed a big number, you know what range you take them at mostly so you would be a better judge than me. I was thinking Stalking, I use 6x for that, and some old boys still reckon 4x is better :look:

8x56 seems to be a popular fox scope, but you could fill a whole new thread with pro's and con's on that one!

Fixed for my .22lr and variable for my CF. :look:

I have the .223 zeroed 1 inch high at 110 yds, this takes me bang on out to 200yds .

I usaully have the S & B 3 to 12 x 50 set on 8 power, but for them 250 + shots on foxes and bunnys out to 300 in the day time, i crank it up to 12 :lol:

My rimmy has a variable on at the moment, but i have it permently set on 8 aswell, its a 3-9x40.

Frank.

I have variable on my HMR And Fac Air rifle and they are both set on 9

My Centre fire use to be variable but i had a confidence issue with it or basically i had an easy miss which led to the purchase of a 8 x 56 S/B c/w optilock mounts .When you can't undrstand things like your POI keep altering you start to look at whether the scope is holding zero etc when wound up to full mag and back again :good:

Don't get me wrong If i had the funds it'd be a NF 8 x 32 x 56 on the rifle as I have a fascination with long range shooting but that'd be on a larger calibre than the .223 but for a dedicated hunting set up a large mag is'nt required IMO .