Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing

Whitebridges

On the Quest Channel 9 o'clock 'til 10 pm.

Good news a bit of fishing on the tele! :good:

The original Mr. Crabtree Goes Fishing is the comic strip story of a father who takes his son Peter on a series of angling adventures over the course of a year, fishing for a variety of species along the rivers and lakes of Britain. It became the most iconic angling book ever - selling around four million copies.

Presented by John Bailey, an original 'Crabtree Kid', this new series consults the legendary book and applies some of it to modern-day angling, highlighting how it can bring generations together in harmony.

In each episode, John accompanies a young angler to different locations across Britain; each site offering unique challenges to even the most experienced of anglers.

Anybody watch it?

I enjoyed it, no bad ex singer screaming and swaring.

only thing that got on my tits was the use of "craptree" regarding everything from a rod to the sun coming out.

looking forward to watching the rest of the series, but why isnt it on bbc 2 at 8pm.

my lad loves fishing as do million more young lads but 10pm finish on a school night is too late

Darn, miss the first one, I had the Mr Crabtree book for christmas along time ago and it brings back some lovely memories of a boy starting off fishing. I remember getting my mother to par boil a small potatoe for me, casting it into the local lake and waiting hours for the coil of line to slowly disappear, of course it didnt. The carp population was very low back then but we did have some classic tench mornings in 'Tench corner'. These days the tench are rare since a massive stocking of carp, the water is always muddy and there are signs all around the lake in several languages telling the summer influx of foreign labour (north european) not to eat the fish. Long way from those still warm mornings with tench bubbles bursting up around your float.

This week was a real improvement. Maybe because it was stick float fishing on the Wensum. Some good conditioned roach and chub caught, and also shots of the float going under. Also comment on the fact that kids don't get a chance to fish anymore, due to the shortage of free stretches.

• 2 weeks later...

Throught the mention of free stretches to fish is one of the biggest reasons for lack of young blood on the banks.

In my youth there was plenty of water you could fish free but now the various angling clubs have taken it all.

Bob

Before I came to France I did nothing else but fish free stretches of rivers and derelict canals. There is plenty of free fishing about, you just have to look for it.

• 1 month later...

Am I the only the one who finds it a bit uncomfortable to watch at times? He really has no need to be as 'hands on' with the students. I fish with my neighbours lad and other than having to drag him out of the margins on a couple of occasions I've had no need to touch him. It spoils an otherwise good programme for me.