FAC for Shotgun Only??

highoctane

Hi, I currently hold a SGC due to expire end of Feb. Is it possible to apply for a coterminous FAC for a shotgun only? Basically I would like to have more shots for pigeon shooting. I'm not all that interested in rifle shooting, nor do i have suitable land to shoot one on. So is it possible to obtain a FAC for a shotgun without having any rifles on there?

Thanks, Matt

Apply for a section 1 shotgun, you current safe should be fine as you won't be using slug for pigeon so no need for a ammo safe.

Although if I was you, for the sake of £10 I would renew the SGC aswell just incase you decided in the future you want to shoot clays or something

Thanks! But how do i word it? I was thinking something along the lines of - With a magazine or a detachable magazine capable of holding more than two cartridges. - Which is more or less the same type of wording as the "definition of a shotgun" according to the back page of the renewal form.

Just for a multi-shot shotgun in whatever bore you're after. Some forces also make you specify the action type too (i.e. self-loading, pump-action etc)

Although if I was you, for the sake of £10 I would renew the SGC aswell just incase you decided in the future you want to shoot clays or something

You can still shoot clays with a S1 shotgun, but you need the clay pigeon condition added to the FAC (it should be done automatically if you have the gun for pest control but i'm yet to hear of anyone who has it that didn't have to ask. You can't shoot game with S1 shotguns though so if you do that you might want to keep your SGC.

Confused but this is not hard, do you have a FAC cert at the moment? if not then you have to apply for one for the FAC shotgun as it does not go on the SGC as it is a section 1, I would also keep your SGC as it is not a lot of money to renew and to be honest there are very few places that allow FAC shotguns (game shoots, clay grounds etc) and you will probably have to have land clearance and set a specific area to shoot it, you will also be limited to what you can shoot with it as not all animals are covered in some areas.

I got one about 2 years ago and to be frank it is good as I have an open ticket, but I tend not to use it much these days and am thinking of just getting rid as the time spent reloading 8 shots over three and then the chances of firing more than 3 shots on a normal semi at pigeon are rare indeed.

I would say do not bother, just get a 3 shot semi.

However if you asked me this two years ago I would have said get one as it seemed worth it at the time.

for fac shotgun there is no requirement for land deemed suitable as all land is deemed cleared for shotgun and if the firearms have a problem with this just phone basc and ask them to help.you just need to have permission to shoot on the land. also all the clay grounds I go to have no problem about fac pump or semi shotguns being used along as you only load the carts you are going to use. eg pair =2

Edited by fruitloop

Thanks! But how do i word it? I was thinking something along the lines of - With a magazine or a detachable magazine capable of holding more than two cartridges. - Which is more or less the same type of wording as the "definition of a shotgun" according to the back page of the renewal form.

You don't need to word it that specifcally. Just put 12ga shotgun on the FAC application form and give reason as to what you will be using it for.

What you should also bear in mind is that you cannot loan a sec.1 shotgun to someone else to use in your presence in the way you can a sec.2 or a rifle.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Sorry, to clarify, I already have a SGC which is due for renewal end of Feb. I will renew this no matter what. I do not have a FAC but would like to apply for one. I have 7 shotguns in total. Most of them have thier own use to me, and a few are just "fun" guns. I already have a Winchester SX3 3 shot semi-auto for pigeon shooting. If i were to be granted a FAC, I would have this converted to hold more carts. I have no use for slugs or anything other than bird shot. When i shoot clays I use the O/U. So the FAC shotgun will only be used for pigeon shooting on land that I already have permission to shoot on.

dont convert your own gun once its fac theres no going back without alot of hassle they come up so cheap just buy one i only know one person who has one and he doesnt shoot more pigeons then the next man i would personally not bother but everyone to there own good luck

Edited by pboro shot

Irrespective of the FAC bit, are you saying that you have a SGC which you intend to renew and which runs out at the end of February? If so, I'd be inclined to make sure you've plenty of ammo if the turnround time is anything like it is here - and I suspect many other locations - because you could well be without a certificate for some time. We won't talk about the bit about having an unlicensed shotgun.

Sorry for all the Q's. But I've just come across another thing I need advise on. Filling out the FAC form, I need 2 people to sign it. I have 1 person (a nurse) that is signing my SGC aswell, but cant think of anyone else thats either not related to me or known me for 2 years. My mate, who i have known for years, and a FAC holder, seems to think that he can sign it as he already has a FAC. Is this correct? Thanks

Sorry for all the Q's. But I've just come across another thing I need advise on. Filling out the FAC form, I need 2 people to sign it. I have 1 person (a nurse) that is signing my SGC aswell, but cant think of anyone else thats either not related to me or known me for 2 years. My mate, who i have known for years, and a FAC holder, seems to think that he can sign it as he already has a FAC. Is this correct? Thanks

The referees also have to fill in a separate form each and send it back without showing it to you. I'm 90% sure that another FAC holder can do it, also an RFD can, I think.

J.

The referees also have to fill in a separate form each and send it back without showing it to you. I'm 90% sure that another FAC holder can do it, also an RFD can, I think.

Sorry, never done this before. What do you mean referees fill in a seperate form? Also (according to the form) a RFD can't sign it.

Sorry, never done this before. What do you mean referees fill in a seperate form? Also (according to the form) a RFD can't sign it.

There is a separate form you need to partially fill in and give to your two referees. It asks them whether they know if you smack the wife around or are a plonky, that type of thing. Obviously, you aren't supposed to see it so they have to send it back themselves.

J.

There is a separate form you need to partially fill in and give to your two referees. It asks them whether they know if you smack the wife around or are a plonky, that type of thing. Obviously, you aren't supposed to see it so they have to send it back themselves.

J.

:lol: Ok lol. Where do I get these forms? Can I download them? Thanks