Pump Club

thepasty

Shotgun needs a bead mate, it's all I've ever used :)

I have to admit I agree with you 100%, I was just wondering how many people actually used them. I do use a red dot sight (Burris Fast Fire 3)on my 300 win mag when I am shooting driven Boar and find it very effective for that but I have seen lots of guys using shot guns and slug on the same quarry but have never observed any with the red dot sight. I personally don't see a need for them on shot guns. I new one guy who had every extra you could think of attached to his Mossberg which included a red dot sight but I noticed the last time I saw him he had taken it off.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does a red dot cause you to aim rather than point? I realise that they make snap shooting rifle style quicker, but I know that I miss clays because I have a habit of aiming at them with the bead if I have too long to shot them just by instinct. Couple of weeks ago I actually missed a close range sitter by trying to aim the 870 like a rifle. Gave someone on here a laugh anyway...

Mossy 500s have a bid bead also, so I am guessing you could aim them for slugs if you needed to using the standard furniture?

Red Dot sights on shotguns have some uses depending on the type of shotgun there fitted to.

For PSG any red dot fitted to a shotgun will put you in open division along with the box magazine fed shotguns like the Saiga 12 & Molot these are the guns that benefit most from this type of sight because they are derived from the AK family of rifles & there is no traditional rib & bead option available for them & so a red dot makes good sense.

However you will always be slower from target to target using one compared to pointing a traditional pump or semi-auto tube fed shotgun with a rib & bead sight, but they are an advantage for longer range slug shooting.

N

I'm guessing I'm not the only pumper whos seen this?

Nice but ... I've already got *three* M37s. Do I "need" another one?

In any case, for the last few months, I can't seem to stop grabbin' the Chiappa first:

:)

Regards,

Mark.

Nice but ... I've already got *three* M37s. Do I "need" another one?

In any case, for the last few months, I can't seem to stop grabbin' the Chiappa first:

:)

Regards,

Mark.

That stage at the four4islands Romsey match was a great stage, I was the first shooter up on our squad & the exploding target made me jump :)

N

the exploding target made me jump

Yeah, it were fun - I *love* shooting through the caravan windows; I can't explain it - it's just *fun*.

I was, though, a bit disappointed with them there "flash bangs". I didn't think that they sounded a whole lot louder than when there was just the gun shot. Even on film, it weren't noticably loud.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I keep reciting "I don't need another M37. I don't *need* another M37"...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to apply for my fac and don't know what to do about my Mossberg 500, should I stump up the £40 (ish) and a bit of gunsmithing time and convert it to the full 7+1, keep it on my shotgun cert or punt it on and use the cash for FAC pump. I cant see me using a section 2 pump if theres a section 1 in the cabinet tho.

Edited by Sco77w

Hi, I'm Greg, been lurking around for a while, but now I have my first shotgun, I decided to join up and register.

I read this thread from start to finish in one sitting! some nice pumps out there, seeing as I now have one I thought I'd join 'Pump Club'

I got lucky as a friend of mine was selling his Remington 870 Wingmaster and he knew that's what I've always wanted, so gave me first choice on it. He sold it to me for £250, which I think is a good deal.

From looking at the serial number I believe the 'V' at the start means it was made in 1979, and the 'M' obviously means it takes the 3" magnum cartridges. On the barrel it has 'PC' stamped on it which I worked out the barrel was made in 1982? I think, there's a few years with 'C'? Mustn't be the original one. It also has 'FULL' stamped on it, but my mate reckons that he got it checked and was told its fully open (not too sure on the correct terminology yet!), so maybe someone had it opened out? I think I'll get it checked for myself. I'm really impressed with the quality of this shotgun and can't wait to get out and use it,the only downside I feel is that it has a 30" barrel, which to me feels so long, I was hoping that it had a 28" or even 26" barrel.

Quick question, If the fixed choke on this 30" barrel has been opened out, would I lose anything by getting it cut down to say a 28" or 26" by a gunsmith, it's not like I'd be losing the choke if it's already been opened up? If it still has the full fixed choke then I'd just leave it and try to find a spare shorter barrel. Saying that, does anyone have a 28" or 26" wingmaster barrel they'd want to sell? or swap for a 30" one? ;)

Anyway here are some pics of it,

post-64802-0-18160400-1369855608_thumb.jpg

post-64802-0-40805900-1369855612_thumb.jpg

I'd keep it pal at least then a friend can use it while you use your FAC pump ;)

not a bad call Willpoon. I've only got a few quid in it and could probably pick up a FAC one for not a lot of money.

Still looking for a cheap bigget cabinet to fill once my FAC comes through.

Hi, I'm Greg, been lurking around for a while, but now I have my first shotgun, I decided to join up and register.

I read this thread from start to finish in one sitting! some nice pumps out there, seeing as I now have one I thought I'd join 'Pump Club'

I got lucky as a friend of mine was selling his Remington 870 Wingmaster and he knew that's what I've always wanted, so gave me first choice on it. He sold it to me for £250, which I think is a good deal.

From looking at the serial number I believe the 'V' at the start means it was made in 1979, and the 'M' obviously means it takes the 3" magnum cartridges. On the barrel it has 'PC' stamped on it which I worked out the barrel was made in 1982? I think, there's a few years with 'C'? Mustn't be the original one. It also has 'FULL' stamped on it, but my mate reckons that he got it checked and was told its fully open (not too sure on the correct terminology yet!), so maybe someone had it opened out? I think I'll get it checked for myself. I'm really impressed with the quality of this shotgun and can't wait to get out and use it,the only downside I feel is that it has a 30" barrel, which to me feels so long, I was hoping that it had a 28" or even 26" barrel.

Quick question, If the fixed choke on this 30" barrel has been opened out, would I lose anything by getting it cut down to say a 28" or 26" by a gunsmith, it's not like I'd be losing the choke if it's already been opened up? If it still has the full fixed choke then I'd just leave it and try to find a spare shorter barrel. Saying that, does anyone have a 28" or 26" wingmaster barrel they'd want to sell? or swap for a 30" one? ;)

Both my 870's have FULL stamped on the barrels it's the tightest restriction , if your unsure take it o your local gunshop they will tell you for sure :)

greg, if you email remington with the serial number (contact us on their website) they will tell you all you need to know. i did it myself as i picked up my 870 last week and they replied within a day or two

That's a nice gun mate! As has been said Remington can give you the date of your gun - mine is a 1978 iirc.

I have a spare 28" barrel for sale if that's any help, fixed mod choke.

Both my 870's have FULL stamped on the barrels it's the tightest restriction , if your unsure take it o your local gunshop they will tell you for sure :)

I took it to one of the local gun shops in Colchester this morning, and it turns out it has been opened up from a full choke. The guy said it is now between 1/2 and 3/4, so not a standard setting, but opened up none the less.

It was my first real time in a gun shop, instead of just going in for a look around, and when the owner saw that I had a pump it was like I had suddenly developed a contagious disease! his attitude changed quite a bit. All he kept telling me was that if I went on a syndicate shoot or on most clay ranges, I'd be kicked off because of the pump? I was a bit like, yeah ok, just tell me what choke I've got, so I can get out of here!

Don't think I'll go back in there in a hurry! They don't all react to pumps like this, do they?

greg, if you email remington with the serial number (contact us on their website) they will tell you all you need to know. i did it myself as i picked up my 870 last week and they replied within a day or two

I had a look on a few sites and the 'V' at the start means mine is a 1979, it was the barrel that is a bit confusing because the 'C' can be a few different years, but it probably is a 1982 one.

Edited by Mac961