Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On May 29th 2013 shooters from four4islands took on the shooters from the Civilian Service Rifle Team down at the National Shooting Centre at Bisley.

The stages were built on Butt Zero & consisted of 6 Multi-Gun challenges using shotguns, .22 rifles & a staged .223 rifle supplied by Bradley Arms.

Here are a couple of "pumpers" who joined in the fun.

bf5e7ae3-c4fb-4392-93ba-29da3d68faf8_zps

ad2fc13d-5dc6-4364-a253-3d390b32f5f8_zps

For anyone interested in the other pics from the event they can be seen here, with thanks to Ben Love who was the photographer for the day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26483956@N04/sets/72157633818057222/

nice photos, gota admit id love a go at practical shooting.

as previously mentioned i had my 870 a frew weeks ago, buying it from hedd-wyn on here, i also bought willpoons ati stock and forend and a left hand safety button and shell carrier from midway.. theres some photos below of it, i know its not everyones type of gun and i know due to its looks its not a gun i can use everywhere as im bound to get disaproving looks but i have an over/under and side by side so im covered.. this is purely a fun gun

before

post-58889-0-65652400-1371304594_thumb.jpg

after

post-58889-0-42279000-1371304610_thumb.jpg

as i expect express owners know the woodworks not got the best finish as i found a lot of dust in the varnish finish from remington. the woodwork also had the usual nicks and bumps from a used gun and a stain on the stock so i stripped it back and gave it a nice dark satin tru-oil finish.. 5 coats of walnut stain, 20 coats of tru-oil and a couple of wax. its not quite as dark as it looks in the photo below and it is an even colour even though it doesnt look like it (bad lighting) but it did turn out lovely and might go back on the gun at some point

post-58889-0-48044500-1371304753_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiffy

nice photos, gota admit id love a go at practical shooting.

four4islands have supporting clubs at Worcester & Frome, which are not that far out of South Wales, your gun will be fine & wont raise any eyebrows with us, let me know if you want to try it & I can arrange it for you.

N

this was my third stock in a few months, first was my side by side, used nitormors and lots of elbow grease, think it took me three coats.. then onto my old air arms which did not want to be stripped, used a couple of strippers leaving it wrapped up in stripper for days.. worked my nuts of to strip that one... then i did the remi.. used nitromors first and as i brushed it on the varnish was coming off... amazing! i thought i was seeing things so as soon as i finished applying it i wiped it off with a scouring pad put a second coat on to take the last few bits off... less than fifteen minutes and it was done a quick wash in the sink to clean all signs of strippers of and it was done

I think it looks cool either way, dont feel pressured to have it any other way but the way YOU like it... if I'm not welcome due to the way my gun looks I'd rather not shoot there!

Thanks for the stripping tips :good:

Edited by thepasty

ahoy there pump club...

well.... Neil would be proud of me, I spent a good portion of the weekend building a duelling tree, another evening on it and she'll be good for a shoot up. The ease of throwing a load of scrap together has inspired me to make a few more steel targets (type yet to de decided) as my mate has said I can setup a small shotgun range on his land.... focused on close range speed shooting.... should be fun!!

Apart from the star thing, any other ideas for novel steel targets?

My pistol grip stock should be here this week.... I'm quite excited, I think she'll look ace wearing this butt...

moss12.jpg

and this forend...

hogue_overmolded_forend.jpg

Nice one Pasty, looks like a proper shotgun :lol:

With regard to targets the problem with shotguns is their power & with repeated use especially at closer distances any kind of hinged mechanism gets a beating over time & eventually needs repair, which is not a problem if your using it on a practice ground but if its used in a competition you could end up losing that stage from the match if it cant be repaired in time for everyone to shoot it on the day.

In order to solve this problem one solution is to make the target plate separate from its base, thus dissipating the energy of the shot, resetting is easy & the targets last a very long time, they are also very cheap to make & easy to transport around & set up.

Also guys please remember when shooting steel targets you must always wear eye protection every single time, its just not worth the risk.

Here is an easy target to make that uses the principle mentioned above, we get the plate steel cut by one of our suppliers & then simply weld a cross bar to the back of a length of angle iron, this allows you to set targets at different heights from the ground depending on the length of angle used & how far you choose to drive it into the ground.

I always set targets up off the ground because otherwise gamey shooters simply aim at the floor anywhere in front of the target which skips the shot & dirt up into the target & knocks it down, when raised up they have to aim properly :good:

2012-11-08113252.jpg

2012-11-08113230.jpg

2012-11-08113216.jpg

2012-11-08113320.jpg

N

Edited by neil smith

Thanks Neil, after testing the duelling tree I noticed how easy it was to bend things out of shape with a shotgun... even with 6mm steel! Which lead me to thinking about simple knock off plates too and in the format you show above you can place them anywhere and at differing heights.... nice one :good:

eyes! I go the whole hog when testing and shooting steel... yesterday I had one of these on!.. no joke :)

czech_helmets.jpg

Safety first kids!!

Here is an easy target to make

Ah, yes. I remember seeing these at Shield. I wouldn't mind having a go at makin' some more separators for the RSC.

However, are those adjusters really necessary? I was finkin' of welding a short length of the same angle iron, "point down", across the back instead. Wouldn't that still cope with varying thickness of plate? (I'd like to make something as easy and cheap as possible, of course.)

Regards,

Mark.