Pump Club

thepasty

Why are all the original pump shooter's over the pond buying supernova's then and not 870's

I'd check the opinions on THR first on that issue :)

Also, even the guy from John Foreseys in Kent, who advertise themselves are a Benelli Centre, even he said the 870 was a better "slide gun", as he called it. I'm talking about the Wingmaster here, of course. I recently had both, but had to let the SuperNova go, it simply wasn't as good as the 870.

Actually. Let's rephrase that. I didn't like it anything like as much as the WM. Fair to say.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd check the opinions on THR first on that issue :)

Also, even the guy from John Foreseys in Kent, who advertise themselves are a Benelli Centre, even he said the 870 was a better "slide gun", as he called it. I'm talking about the Wingmaster here, of course. I recently had both, but had to let the SuperNova go, it simply wasn't as good as the 870.

Actually. Let's rephrase that. I didn't like it anything like as much as the WM. Fair to say.

I use my supernova as pure waterfowl, crow and pigeon gun, it has been though all kinds of bad weather on the marsh ect and has never let me down, it is still in very good rust free condition, I'd like to see an 870 Wingmaster after some serious marsh use rust rust rust !!!!

Edited by jmoz82

Marks post kind of highlights my previous point, he is a clay buster & rough shooter & doesn't shoot PSG so possibly won't appreciate the advantages the Supernova has over the 870 & so sold his, both guns are good depending on your chosen use for them.

N

Marks post kind of highlights my previous point, he is a clay buster & rough shooter & doesn't shoot PSG so possibly won't appreciate the advantages the Supernova has over the 870 & so sold his, both guns are good depending on your chosen use for them.

N

Let's agree on this :)

M37 Owners...... Mark looking at you here,

Got my barrel swivel today to fit some sling loops. please see pic below:

null_zps342677c0.jpg

I know this has to be drilled and tapped in. But I have never seen one in real life, can you just confirm for me it goes on the barrel lug:

null_zps92f197b8.jpg

null_zps52f3225c.jpg

Also where did you position your stock screw? If anyone had one fitted from factory and you let me know the measurements.

null_zpsa7a71475.jpg

Ta

Edited by Markbrowning

I find the M37 LOP very small, I was looking for a screw on exact fit recoil pad to fix this. Such as a limbsaver or kick eez to add an extra 1". However the off the shelf ones are for pre 1970's and wouldn't fit the size of my stock. Any suggestions?

Check the Brownells catalogue.

They DO list quite a few options for direct fit M37 buttpads - though mine is a '59 so I may have overlooked how many versions they offer.

Failing that it'd be a case of making a paper template & using the measurement data from it to work out which off-the-shelf recoil pad will do the job

Check the Brownells catalogue.

They DO list quite a few options for direct fit M37 buttpads - though mine is a '59 so I may have overlooked how many versions they offer.

Failing that it'd be a case of making a paper template & using the measurement data from it to work out which off-the-shelf recoil pad will do the job

Cheers, the pre-fit Model 37 is for 1970's and earlier. Mines an 1983 by memory and that recoil pad won't fit. I have measured mine up, there both a limbsaver and kick eez pad that will fit. They are made for a Savage / Browning but will fit mine. Will add an extra 1" to the LOP which would be perfect..... but just hate paying £50 for the pleasure!

Got my barrel swivel today to fit some sling loops.

[belligerent Look]

Are you talking to *me*, Sonny Jim?

[/bL]

I haven't had anything to do with slings on shotguns 'cos I don't cart 'em around 'cept in a slip.

When I *started* shooting, with Dad's 3-shot, I tried to acquire a swivel attachment for the barrel lug - the gun already had one on the stock - but found that I couldn't get parts. My 8-shot is for PSG, so *definitely* no sling on that.

Having said that, you *seem* to show yer swivel on the *side* of the lug. Is that just "balanced" there, or what? I *thought* that it screwed in *under* the lug but, as I say, I don't have any actual experience of 'em on an M37.

Finally, the yolk is usually mounted so that the machine screw goes in from the left-hand side. Whether that's significant, I've no idea. (Laterally inverted photo, perchance?)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

Got my barrel swivel today to fit some sling loops. please see pic below:

null_zps342677c0.jpg

I know this has to be drilled and tapped in. But I have never seen one in real life, can you just confirm for me it goes on the barrel lug:

null_zps92f197b8.jpg

null_zps52f3225c.jpg

Also where did you position your stock screw? If anyone had one fitted from factory and you let me know the measurements.

null_zpsa7a71475.jpg

Ta

The front fitting goes UNDER the lug, NOT the side of it !!

It also looks like you have the rear one a little too far forward

Google a few Model 37 images to get a better idea of spacings, etc.

Cheers guys! I've never seen one fitted so I was just guessing where it went! Haven't got it in front on me, but I'm getting there is enough clearance underneath it won't screw into the barrel?

I asked mark because I thought I remember reading you had one on Ithaca owners. I haven't touched the yoke since owning it, doesn't need to be moved to unscrew the barrel. However I will switch it around to the left when I can.

Ended up ordering the recoil pad in the end.

Just googled some images, ignore the comment about fowling the barrel. I know exactly where it is going now!

Aye

A picture IS worth 1000 words!!

My first M37 was a DSPS & it was drilled/tapped at the factory for the front swivel.

The current M37 has no tapped hole for a swivel so I will leave it as is

I was only ever able to find the factory 1" loops anyway - was always looking for some 1 1/4" ones

They DID exist as they were fitted to military contract M37s

My first M37 was a DSPS & it was drilled/tapped at the factory for the front swivel.

As are mine.

I seem to remember somebody - possibly Ithaca themselves - telling me that thread was "8-32", whatever *that* is. (Eighth inch, 32 TPI?)

Regards,

Mark.

I am starting to think about getting a Wingmaster for my birthday. Can you still buy them new ? whats the difference between an express870 and the "Wingmaster" ?

Would it be cheaper to get some hillbilly in the states ( Moss Pawn & Gun ) to ship a WIngMaster to a RFD here? is that even an option ?

I want to own a pump gun.........it's the real deal !! I would love to get the High Gun score at my local shoot with a pumper !!!

Why have I become obsessed with pumping and sliding ? has this happened to you? :whistling:

what do you guys think of the hatsan pumps

owners say they shoot fine.... get one :)

I am starting to think about getting a Wingmaster for my birthday. Can you still buy them new ? whats the difference between an express870 and the "Wingmaster" ?

Would it be cheaper to get some hillbilly in the states ( Moss Pawn & Gun ) to ship a WIngMaster to a RFD here? is that even an option ?

I want to own a pump gun.........it's the real deal !! I would love to get the High Gun score at my local shoot with a pumper !!!

Why have I become obsessed with pumping and sliding ? has this happened to you? :whistling:

think of the wingmaster as a audi and the 870 express as a ford, they do exactly the same job but the wingmaster is better made.

owners say they shoot fine.... get one :)

think of the wingmaster as a audi and the 870 express as a ford, they do exactly the same job but the wingmaster is better made.

Wingmaster & Express = SAME GUN

...ONLY difference is the Wingmaster has a better finish

Wingmaster & Express = SAME GUN

...ONLY difference is the Wingmaster has a better finish

wrong

the wingmaster was too expensive to produce and sell so for the express they cut down on manufacturing time and component quality. For example, there are more plastic components within the express and metal components have been finished to a lower standard resulting in a rougher action BUT faster manufacturing times.

Edited by thepasty

wrong

the wingmaster was too expensive to produce and sell so for the express they cut down on manufacturing time and component quality. For example, there are more plastic components within the express and metal components have been finished to a lower standard resulting in a rougher action BUT faster manufacturing times.

...and your sources are?