Browning B26 Problem

Cyrus1988

Shoulder of the pin narrowing & wedging into the firing pin hole? Worth replacing the pin as clearly your old one isn't reliable for you.

That is a possibility and not something I've thought of, a new pin would solve this. Thanks for the advice.

Gunsmith? ???

Nah, would like to sort it myself, might learn something and it'll hopefully be cheaper unless I really mess up...

• 4 months later...

This problem is usually caused by wear to the right side cocking rod, and nothing to do with the firing pin. (on the odd occasion wear to the hammer face that the cocking rod mates with). If you compare both cocking rods you will notice some additional wear on the right side rod (lower barrel) which prevents the hammer from moving as soon as the barrel begins to open, which in turn leaves the firing pin fully outward and catches on the primer. The easy fix is to replace the rod, WGP in Canada is probably the best bet for it.

There are no spares for the B26 from Browning . It could be the cases jamming in the chamber s . Do you have the same problem with different cartridges ? Have you tried with longer or shorter brass heads ? Seen a few guns that will eject one case well but struggles with others .

This problem is usually caused by wear to the right side cocking rod, and nothing to do with the firing pin. (on the odd occasion wear to the hammer face that the cocking rod mates with). If you compare both cocking rods you will notice some additional wear on the right side rod (lower barrel) which prevents the hammer from moving as soon as the barrel begins to open, which in turn leaves the firing pin fully outward and catches on the primer. The easy fix is to replace the rod, WGP in Canada is probably the best bet for it.

Cheers mate, will check this out.

There are no spares for the B26 from Browning . It could be the cases jamming in the chamber s . Do you have the same problem with different cartridges ? Have you tried with longer or shorter brass heads ? Seen a few guns that will eject one case well but struggles with others .

I don't think there's ever been a problem getting the cartridges out once I've managed to break the gun, they've always just ejected, usually in to the person standing next to me. I've tried different cartridges and it doesn't seem to make a difference...

+1

I have a similar problem on a Merkel sidelock. When fired, the tumbler presses the firing pin against the (now dented) primer. As you open the gun, the cocking lever (uses levers not rods) should move the tumbler back as the mainspring is compressed - allowing the firing pin to move back, but any free movement or slack before the cocking lever is moved - and the pin will not move back in time and will 'drag' on the primer. Mine is going to be sorted (by attention to the cocking lever I believe). I have had it looked at - and apparently not a problem to do - just that at present - I wanted the gun for something else - and the gunsmith was very busy (when is a good one not?), so will be done a bit later. I have also in the past experienced a similar problem on a side by side AyA Yeoman - its not an uncommon problem.

+1

I have a similar problem on a Merkel sidelock. When fired, the tumbler presses the firing pin against the (now dented) primer. As you open the gun, the cocking lever (uses levers not rods) should move the tumbler back as the mainspring is compressed - allowing the firing pin to move back, but any free movement or slack before the cocking lever is moved - and the pin will not move back in time and will 'drag' on the primer. Mine is going to be sorted (by attention to the cocking lever I believe). I have had it looked at - and apparently not a problem to do - just that at present - I wanted the gun for something else - and the gunsmith was very busy (when is a good one not?), so will be done a bit later. I have also in the past experienced a similar problem on a side by side AyA Yeoman - its not an uncommon problem.

Thanks for the info, seems this might be the problem and hopefully will be an easy fix.

Thanks again.