Sweeps homecoming

lurcherboy

As some of you know I aquired a black Cocker at the end of last season through no fault of his own. He was fully trained when the owner got him but had been allowed his head and as a consequence became a badly behaved dog. Today was his first day back on his old turf and people expected a lot from him as they seem to think I have a way with dogs :rolleyes: I was worried that when we got there he would dissapear up to the house and go and see his best friend the cook. I needn't have worried as he behaved himself impeccably. He made 7 retrieves of which 3 were runners. His previous owner congratulated me on his performance and I can honestly say that I have never been so proud. He still has a some way to go particularly with distance/back commands and 2 attempts to run in but I am confident that this hurdle will be crossed soon with the help of NTTF and others on PW.

Tiercel, Sweep done Wales proud mate :lol:

LB

PS. Looking for a quality bitch so the previous owner can have a pup so if any one is in the market let me know please. Must be good blood lines.

having met the previous owner i can safely say this guy was showing a genune intrest in LB's progress with the dog which was great to see. Glad to hear you got sweep working well for the first day. I bet there are a few lads waiting in line to have their dogs trained not :blink:

And has that Pup he wants now become a trained pup?? :lol:

nice one mate :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Second instalment.

Back to Edenbridge again today and it was :lol: . I had a lovely women called Susie as a picking up partner who had two blinding Weimaraner bitches (mother & daughter) that put Sweep in his place when we loaded them into the landie :lol: I have never seem him so quiet. They eldest bitch has 16 FTC's to her name and the younger is just starting to compete and win in FTC's. The mothers pups go all over the world including Germany so I guess they must be class bitches.

First drive. we place ourselves in the best vantage points to wait for birds and wait. All the birds land on her side of the field :lol: but thats life and the girls perform well.

Second drive. I lose Sweeps lead (and he knows it) :lol: but luckily there were enough birds dropped to keep the girls and sweep busy so I never actually looked out of control :lol:

Stop for bacon butties, coffee and two minutes silence for the fallen.

Third drive. I have now secured a length of bailer twine from the game cart and told the guns that twine was 'in' this year. They nodded and made murmers, probably in pity, but sod it. Again most of the bag landed for Susie and the girls cleaned up quickly.

Fourth drive and bingo, Sweep gets 3 retrieves performed perfectly in front of his former owner. The girls also have work including two very fast runners taken with ease. Feeling better now that the old boy is back on song and steady.

Last and final drive. Susie was placed in a good spot downhill of the guns and I was halfway uphill. Then it all went horribly wrong. The guns downed 9 birds of which 5 were runners. Each gun pointed in a different direction and we spent 45 minutes to find all the birds :lol:

We eventually got back to the potting shed for some scram after most of the shoot had gone home but they did save us dinner, pudding and a bottle of red :lol:

Picker ups are always the last to eat but we didn't complain.

LB

We eventually got back to the potting shed for some scram after most of the shoot had gone home but they did save us dinner, pudding and a bottle of red :P

Picker ups are always the last to eat but we didn't complain.

LB

I have to say LB, and this is only my opinion here, but no gun should leave his/her peg for the next drive or end of day until all the birds they have shot have been picked. It's appaling that you were still working whilst they all left. Sounds like you had some good company though.

Well done :no: