from 452 to 455

Elmer Fudd 1

I have the cz 455 varmint 16" .22lr with standard stock,have done 5 shots groups through the same hole at 25yrds of a bipod with eley sport and winchester subs. The riffle although it shoots good feels poor and the trigger isnt great with pull weights altering. The bolt also imo is not as good as the 452 and the barrel is to heavy for no real gain. When you get it I would remove the stock from the action and get rid if all the rough edges and saw dust from the stock and clean the action. when I got mine brand new it wouldnt cycle right,found the extractor claws wrong way round. All in all a riffle that will perform but may not feel or look as good as others. I like cz's but wouldnt get another 455. Bare in mind mine could have been a friday afternoon job.

Why would anybody trade down from a 452 ?

Single locking lug is a step back, but is much cheaper to make, it's sold as a switch barrel rifle, waste of time over here with our laws, but

again it is much cheaper to make and assemble. The 455 is just an exercise in making more profit for a lesser quality gun.

Neil.

Accuracy wise if you find any difference between the 452 & 455 (like for like) then you will need a Micrometre that measures down to the size of an atom!!

There was nothing wrong with the accuracy of the old BRNO compared to CZ models, this is just another model evolution!

Anyone expecting a revolutionary product changing from a 452 to a 455 is going to be disappointed, the 452 is already so good the difference is infinitesimal for all practical purposes, and largely aesthetic! :good:

basically I think the 455 is a business model not a shooting model, the trigger is billed as better but in fact its worse a large action converted to a small action helps nobody- its like the quad if you bought all the barrels you could have bought 3 x CZ 452 for similar money. I like the heavier varmint profile and the option of a laminate stock (just whished it was not a thumbhole) the ones I have shot have been very capable accuracy wise but harder to shoot due to the triggers varying so much pull to pull. I certainly like the steel action for its strength and better finish via blueing over anodised alloy in the 452. Bolt smoothness is just down to shooting them in every CZ I have owned has been like this c/f or r/f. If I was changing my own 452 today then the 455 would be up there on the list but I should likely as not search out a second hand 452 varmint again, if I ended up with a 455 I would put 1000 round down range over the course of a week or two and if the trigger was still playing up I should swap the whole unit for the timney replacement rather than mess with pull weight reducing kits, though I recon someone might have to pry my 452 from my dead hands before the rigor really set in so its not going anytime soon

basically I think the 455 is a business model not a shooting model, the trigger is billed as better but in fact its worse a large action converted to a small action helps nobody- its like the quad if you bought all the barrels you could have bought 3 x CZ 452 for similar money. I like the heavier varmint profile and the option of a laminate stock (just whished it was not a thumbhole) the ones I have shot have been very capable accuracy wise but harder to shoot due to the triggers varying so much pull to pull. I certainly like the steel action for its strength and better finish via blueing over anodised alloy in the 452. Bolt smoothness is just down to shooting them in every CZ I have owned has been like this c/f or r/f. If I was changing my own 452 today then the 455 would be up there on the list but I should likely as not search out a second hand 452 varmint again, if I ended up with a 455 I would put 1000 round down range over the course of a week or two and if the trigger was still playing up I should swap the whole unit for the timney replacement rather than mess with pull weight reducing kits, though I recon someone might have to pry my 452 from my dead hands before the rigor really set in so its not going anytime soon

You not fancy a swap for mine. I can fit a lighter spring to the trigger that doesnt fit in the counter bored hole like everyone else does :lol: .

I certainly like the steel action for its strength and better finish via blueing over anodised alloy in the 452.

You sure you have actually looked at or owned both ?

Both are steel, both are blued, one was properly polished and finished, one wasn't, why not, well because it is the cheap to make poor cousin, that we are being asked to pay more for.

My 452 American is less than 4 years old, I paid £225 for it brand spanking new, at a shop not known for being cheap, that was the full asking price for a new CZ at that time.

Neil.

You sure you have actually looked at or owned both ?

Both are steel, both are blued, one was properly polished and finished, one wasn't, why not, well because it is the cheap to make poor cousin, that we are being asked to pay more for.

My 452 American is less than 4 years old, I paid £225 for it brand spanking new, at a shop not known for being cheap, that was the full asking price for a new CZ at that time.

Neil.

100% certain, never checked it was an alloy receiver but thought I read so (couldn't be made strong enough for barrel swaps without distortion). it certainly aint stuck up and blued, if it wasn't an alloy why not polish and blue it? I have had my CZ 452 quite a while it cost me £150 mint second hand, I have two good mates who have both purchased 455 cz in .22 lr flavour- they both shoot but both have niggles not present in the 452. Pity the two variants couldn't be jelled together - it might make the ultimate rf

well my order got cancelled but its ok because ive now got the varmint thumbhole on order again.

which makes my ironically diverse firearm collection now look a little like

cz 455 varmint thumbhole 16" 22lr with mtc viper 10x44 and sirocco sm11 mod

cz 455 varmint thumbhole 16" 22lr with mtc mamba 4-16x50 and sak mod

cz 455 varmint thumbhole 16" 17 hmr with pulsar n550 and dr bob doubler and sirocco sm11 mod

hehe :yahoo:

(mini question; what is my favorite rimfire rifle)