FAC Air rifle

paul2012

So i want to apply for my fac,

However i would ideally like a .22lr but the land i shoot on isn't approved and won't be approved by the feo for a .22lr although he said it may be possible to approve it for an fac air,

There are a couple of spots that would be ok for a .22lr but they won't give me one because then i could use it anywhere on the farm if you see what i mean,

So i was thinking of getting an fac air rifle and then in 5 years when i can get an open ticket i could get the .22lr,

Is this the right way of going about it? Are they likely to give me an fac air even though the land isn't approvable for a .22lr?

Hi Paul

You say it wont be cleared, have you walked the land with your feo to point out the places youve idetified as safe shots?

All bits of land big or small will have unsafe areas you must confident in your request if you deem it safe tell him and you wiil summit your application with the owners consent of coarse.

You can diagree with these people asafe line of fire is exactly that your the one pulling the trigger not them

I have a small piece of land cleared for a Hornet that feo didnt think anymore than rimmie but it was safe so he agreed

alb Lee

perhaps thats what i should do then,

As its a large farm with a few public rights of way, the spots which i want to shoot the .22 have some very good backstops behind them and they are well out of the way of any footpaths,

I haven' actually walked the land with the feo as of yet as i've just got my sgc and it was something that came up in discussion with that, so i might apply for both and see what happens,

In terms of looking for more land, I don't want too, I know where i shoot well and i'm freindly with the farmer plus lands quite hard to get around here, I'm not overly desperate for the .22 but it would be the more appriopriate bunny tool where i shoot, A sub 12 air rifle is sufficent, but it would be nice to shoot at ranges further than 30yards

Hi Paul

In 5 yrs time if/when they open up your ticket it doesn't mean you will get an open ticket for rf and centrefire rifles it only means you will be able to decide whether the land is safe for your fac air rifle and not have to be cleared by the police

Geordie

Edited by geordieh

if the land is just not safe enough for a rimmy thats the only option for cops is a fac air rifle other than that you need better land which is not a bad thing finding on the other hand is not so easy may be you could get some one with a open fac ticket down for a look see what they think ? just a thought

Myself I would just go FAC air in .22 30ftlb and get something decent and that will take you to 60/70yards nicely and you will be able to shoot it in some places you just wouldnt dream of with the .22lr esp for long range corvids up in tree tops etc.

I got rid of my .22lr after 4 months as my FAC is just so much more usable, and i use it over my HMR at times and the land i have to shoot over is: 1 Farm,2 MOD sites inc an airfeild, 2 small holdings and occasionally I shoot on another farm and small holding of my mate (Shropshirelad on here) permitions, we normally tak it in turn lamping for each other which works well !

Many will disagree but my advice would be stick with .22 as the calibre and 30ftlb is plenty if you want mor dont go over 40ftlb, also I would stay away from rapids......look at Daysate, Airarms, FX Royal etc.

Myself I would just go FAC air in .22 30ftlb and get something decent and that will take you to 60/70yards nicely and you will be able to shoot it in some places you just wouldnt dream of with the .22lr esp for long range corvids up in tree tops etc.

I got rid of my .22lr after 4 months as my FAC is just so much more usable, and i use it over my HMR at times and the land i have to shoot over is: 1 Farm,2 MOD sites inc an airfeild, 2 small holdings and occasionally I shoot on another farm and small holding of my mate (Shropshirelad on here) permitions, we normally tak it in turn lamping for each other which works well !

Many will disagree but my advice would be stick with .22 as the calibre and 30ftlb is plenty if you want mor dont go over 40ftlb, also I would stay away from rapids......look at Daysate, Airarms, FX Royal etc.

Sounds good,

To be honest i'm not bothered over having fac air or .22lr so i'll get the feo to take a look but i've already got my eye on a 30ft/lb huntsman classic,

We'll just have to see what happens :P

I agree with salop except the bit about rapids, they're so easy to work on.

My FAC air does everything a 22lr can do and more. It'll drop bunnies, is safe to use on squirrels and other vermin in the treetops. Cheap to run, far less prone to ricochet and just as quiet.

I almost never take the 22lr out these days. It's that the hmr or the 243 depending on the task.

Its all BS at the end of the day no land is safe, its all down to the shot taken. .22 fac air is fine get any buddy bottle type 30ftlb max so you get a wider choice of pellets, it wont be as humane as a .22 lr if your a little off with a shot and wont shoot quite so well at range (comparing like for like)but it will do the job of increasing that 30 yds some. I found a full 60yds as far as I might stretch things and more like 50 at times, can go considerably further out with .22 lr btw. The other route is maybe to suggest using lower power ammo through a .22 lr like the cci quiets 710 fps? but like I say its BS as its about the shot taken not so much the gun

Sounds good,

To be honest i'm not bothered over having fac air or .22lr so i'll get the feo to take a look but i've already got my eye on a 30ft/lb huntsman classic,

We'll just have to see what happens :P

30ftlb Huntsman in .22 .........A great choice, its exactly what i have :D

Daystate lists 27 shots I think....... But I happily put 3 mags through it (30 shots) before I refill, Although thats only when paper punching.

Out in the field the most ive shot is 8 in a session so far and they were heavy enough carrying esp when you have all your rifle etc to as extra weight so shot count hasnt been an issue esp once zeroed !

So am one happy Huntsman owner. Also if you had 30 shots at bunnys and say bagged 20 bunnys even belly`d on foot thats going to be some carrying! And another great thing about FAC AIR is you arnt limited on ammo, you can buy big batches of the same brand and batch of ammo, theres loads of ammo choices out there too.

ATB

Matt

Daystate lists 27 shots I think....... But I happily put 3 mags through it (30 shots) before I refill, Although thats only when paper punching.

Out in the field the most ive shot is 8 in a session so far and they were heavy enough carrying esp when you have all your rifle etc to as extra weight so shot count hasnt been an issue esp once zeroed !

So am one happy Huntsman owner. Also if you had 30 shots at bunnys and say bagged 20 bunnys even belly`d on foot thats going to be some carrying! And another great thing about FAC AIR is you arnt limited on ammo, you can buy big batches of the same brand and batch of ammo, theres loads of ammo choices out there too.

ATB

Matt

Thanks for that it was.either huntsman or airwolf main thing being shot count

The shot count on the wolf is far bigger, and may be usefull to some but not for me, the money i saved between the two paid for a silencer, scope, pellets, air cylinder retest and fill and spare £`s left after !

I dont need more rifles and can only shoot one at a time but I would love another huntsman sub 12ftlb and also a ranger sub 12 ftlb, one in .177 and one in .20! But got to sell my HMR first !

I would struggle to choose between the 2 but how i would go about it is by what shooting i was doing !

If i had large numbers to shoot it would be the wolf esp if shooting from a vehicle because of the extra weight of the rifle, but if on foot will small numbers i would take the huntsman and keep things light for carrying !

If your ever in the area your welcome to come and have a bash with my huntsman !

ATB

Matt

The shot count on the wolf is far bigger, and may be usefull to some but not for me, the money i saved between the two paid for a silencer, scope, pellets, air cylinder retest and fill and spare £`s left after !

I dont need more rifles and can only shoot one at a time but I would love another huntsman sub 12ftlb and also a ranger sub 12 ftlb, one in .177 and one in .20! But got to sell my HMR first !

I would struggle to choose between the 2 but how i would go about it is by what shooting i was doing !

If i had large numbers to shoot it would be the wolf esp if shooting from a vehicle because of the extra weight of the rifle, but if on foot will small numbers i would take the huntsman and keep things light for carrying !

If your ever in the area your welcome to come and have a bash with my huntsman !

ATB

Matt

thanks for that info looks like it could be the huntsman iv alresdy got a daystate x2 sub 12 ftlb that im keeping for odd bits i cant do with fac air rifle thanks for offer shame your not closer what pellets are you using

whats the reason to stay away from rapids out of intrest

Why because there so called best feature I find to be there down fall....... that being how easy they are to take appart..... Everyone seems to have a go and not very offen do they seem to know what they are doing and a good gun rifle with a small issue can quickly be turned into a mess, I dont think they should be so freeley messed with and people shouldnt be encouraged to mess with them. I personally also dont like the magizines much, buddy bottles seem to leak alot and now they have gone bump so at some point parts will die off !

I dont doubt that when you get a good one thats running right it will perform well, but it shouldnt be treated as a meccano gun thats for sure.

I had one and it left a bitter taste in my mouth that also leaves me very hesitant to ever have one again. Personally if I wanted a buddy bottle rifle again i would go: Daystate, FX Royal, BSA. Each to there own and we are all welcome to our own opinions and having owned one its not ideas put in my head its from first hand ownership that i formed these opinions ! Many will disagree with me but thats my finding of them !

ATB

Matt