Managing shotguns on 2 licences

The government data base records whos guns are registered at which address, so if two of you share the same address then the gun serial number is recorded against each lisenced certificate holder in the household. The gun does not need inputing onto each certificate just one of the license holders. When a new certificate is issued then all the guns associated at that address are then printed onto the license as they are shared ownership as the key access is shared.

Unfortunatley a shared cabinet means that you can't buy a new gun and claim " I bought i months ago" like the new shoes or jacket in the wardrobe.

I'm a bit confused by that. My understanding is that you never ever modify your own ticket - you simply list the gun on the buyer's ticket. You then notify your local force and when your ticket is renewed, guns that you no longer own are removed at that point.

Why would your licences need to be involved in a sale beyond proof that you own the gun ?

When ever i have sold a gun normally to a rfd they always cross of your ticket and put his information on to said ticket so the firearms dept can keep a trace of guns..

So in that case if i wanted to sell a gun or trade in for another according to BASC my son has to be present as they are listed on his ticket

• if you have guns on both certificates in one safe either, or both will be held liable for loss/theft of any guns. I'd planned to do this with my father and was advised against it.

Contact the BACS who gave me some very useful and practical help at no cost

When ever i have sold a gun normally to a rfd they always cross of your ticket and put his information on to said ticket so the firearms dept can keep a trace of guns..

So in that case if i wanted to sell a gun or trade in for another according to BASC my son has to be present as they are listed on his ticket

From all the guidance I've read, that doesn't sound right. Nothing other than the addition of guns should be noted on your certificate. Sale / destruction should be notified to your local force, but your certificate should not be modified to show this in any way.

Now I have to go and re-read a load of docs to find out what I've missed this time :(

My son lives in London and I'm up here in Cleveland. As i live on my own since the better half died 10 years ago we decided he should apply for his SGC and FAC

He got them with the met no problem he has just had renewal last year so is on his second ticket and all my guns are listed on his tickets. It states that all guns and ammo have to be stored at my address.

I had to ring BASC about something last year as the land he can shoot on with his mate is only cleared for .22 and i take my HMR down when i go so he can have a couple of days with his mate shooting now to be on the safe side his mate contacted his feo only to be told my son could not shoot this land until passed as the Met stated the HMR was a larger caliber..

Any how while talking to the legal eagle at BASC about this i mentioned that all my guns were listed on my sons ticket. He proceeded to tell me i should not have done this as it meant i could not sell any of my guns unless my son was present and he also agreed with the sale and both tickets had to be done at the same time.. This was where i lost it and told him they were my guns and i would sell them if i wanted to.... :blush: :blush:

Then he's wrong. Ownership is not the same as possession; you need a cert to possess the gun but that doesn't mean you have to be its owner. Likewise, you can be the legal owner of a firearm yet not have a certificate for it.

J.

I'm a bit confused by that. My understanding is that you never ever modify your own ticket - you simply list the gun on the buyer's ticket. You then notify your local force and when your ticket is renewed, guns that you no longer own are removed at that point.

Why would your licences need to be involved in a sale beyond proof that you own the gun ?

That is what people generally say because other than some very rare circumstances you would never need to. So if you do then you are probably doing somethng wrong.

There are circumstances where you could, and should, make entries on your own cert though. If you were putting an antique on where it was previously held lawfully without a cert you could do. Also, you could build your own firearm if you wanted to and you would enter it on your cert as soon as it became able to be dicharged, or when it became a component part in the case of a section 1 firearm. You might have a section 2 shotgun and convert it to section 1 by installing a longer magazine tube and in that instance you would write it onto your FAC and notify the cops that it had been taken off from your SGC.

J.

From all the guidance I've read, that doesn't sound right. Nothing other than the addition of guns should be noted on your certificate. Sale / destruction should be notified to your local force, but your certificate should not be modified to show this in any way.

Now I have to go and re-read a load of docs to find out what I've missed this time :(

This is correct. I've never heard of RFD's crossing anything out. All they do, or anyone does who's transferring a gun to you, is the fill in the relevant table on the cert and notify the police who granted it.

J.

That is what people generally say because other than some very rare circumstances you would never need to. So if you do then you are probably doing somethng wrong.

There are circumstances where you could, and should, make entries on your own cert though. If you were putting an antique on where it was previously held lawfully without a cert you could do. Also, you could build your own firearm if you wanted to and you would enter it on your cert as soon as it became able to be dicharged, or when it became a component part in the case of a section 1 firearm. You might have a section 2 shotgun and convert it to section 1 by installing a longer magazine tube and in that instance you would write it onto your FAC and notify the cops that it had been taken off from your SGC.

J.

Sorry, I should have been clearer on that - additions, certainly - you have to modify your cert to add them on. I meant for removal, which you seem to agree with in your next post.

For getting rid of a gun (destruction, sale, RFD transfer for storage), all you should do is fill out the OTHER party's cert / form, but not modify your own. Any items that need to be removed from your cert are done so at renewal time by the police.

But like I say - when I get some free time, I'll go and review the docs to make sure my understanding above is correct. I'm still new to the sport and to UK legislation.

Sorry, I should have been clearer on that - additions, certainly - you have to modify your cert to add them on. I meant for removal, which you seem to agree with in your next post.

For getting rid of a gun (destruction, sale, RFD transfer for storage), all you should do is fill out the OTHER party's cert / form, but not modify your own. Any items that need to be removed from your cert are done so at renewal time by the police.

But like I say - when I get some free time, I'll go and review the docs to make sure my understanding above is correct. I'm still new to the sport and to UK legislation.

Yes, you are quite correct in all of that.

It still quite amazes me how in 2013 we still needs lots of bits of paper to keep track of relatively insignificant things like guns.

J.

I share my cabinet with dad at my house and he shares his with me at his, all guns are on both certificates. It's a convenience thing, all guns can live at one address or the other, or some here some there. Especially useful if one or the other of us goes on holiday, we just put all the tools in the cabinet of the one that's staying - therefore no worries around guns in unoccupied houses. Also if say i'm going to need a specific gun for a stupid oclock start one day, i just pop around in the week before and stick it in the required cab.

As for transactions, we just duplicate on both certificates and then i eMail the transfer request in making it clear that these changes are to be duplicated on certificate xxxx as well due to shared storage. Works fine, no issues, all happy.

Mine are on the girls cert and hers are on mine, my feo wasn't that worried about it when I asked, just add her cert number to the fax when I send it off. The only problem is I cant hide any new guns from her as I've caught her practicingbher mount so she would notice a new addition to the stable.

With e-mail, I get no indication besides the item in my sent box that I ever sent it. With postage, I get the receipt that shows I posted it signed for and when it was signed for.

If they had an autoresponder (besides the one that tells you the address you mailed is wrong because we've not updated our website in months) to the e-mails to confirm receipt, I'd be a lot happier with it.

You should be able to request/select both a received and read receipt from the 'Tools' option on the task bar when you send the email, which can then be saved in an email folder.

Edited by Penelope

You should be able to request/select both a received and read receipt from the 'Tools' option on the task bar when you send the email, which can then be saved in an email folder.

That's a function not available in all mail clients, and many firms IT blocks those automated requests because it's a way of finding out if you have a live human on the other end to phish. It's worth trying I guess, next time we buy something.

I stored my lads shogun in my cabinet for 15 years, no big deal, the gun is LISTED on Both Certs:

On mine because I keep it, and on his because he owns it. Simple: and he can pick it up any time to go shooting..

Just about storage thats all: Cannot see why people are having problem with it..

Edited by subsonicnat