What is The Definition of A Shooter

The Ghost

I have met only a few people in my life that I call 'Shooters'.

I am a person who shoots & I know many who are like me.....I want to know how you would define those below.

I first started shooting with Gordon Baker (Wildfowler) who would say we are going shooting Duck today.

He had been feeding a large pond for a month and today was the day, we did well.....on the way back we picked up a goose that had been hit by a car that he had heard about & he nursed it back to health? He is the best shot I have ever seen.

The person I now shoot with will pick me up in his truck at 8.00am and as I get in, three dead pigeon and a crow greet me in the footwell, "Oh I just had a few shots on the way to pick you up"....he is always early. He lives four miles away from me and tells me every animal he has seen on the short trip, and then we go off to shoot. We go back after shooting 32 pigeon to his truck to have a bit to eat, his food is found under 13 small bird boxes he picked up that morning & asks when we will put them up?

As I have said I am a person that shoots, how would you define these two men?

This is not meant to put people down who consider themselves shooters, all I hope to do is define the very small percentage in the sport who perhaps are 'countrymen' or a link to a tribe long lost? I have never made a knife, loaded my own cartridges, made my own decoys, shot over 300 pigeon in a day or even mended a broken wing of a goose & wonder what sets these men apart?

I wouldn't deem myself a shooter as I do more then just shoot. I fish, hunt, ferret, trap and when invited love watching the birds of prey. I also like to get involved with conservation when I can as I believe that if I want my son and his future children to enjoy the countryside them I should help preserve it and where possible enrich it. I've also tried to learn traditional skills for the same reason.

I think I'm a little bit away from being a countryman but its what I aspire to, so maybe an apprentice countryman?

Atb

Frazer

I would class myself as a country man i live in the lake district in a remote area and i do shoot alot when im not at work, tbh the countryside is my first true love, i often wander out with dog and gun for hours sometimes not firing a shot and sometimes deciding not to fire the shot, walking the woodlands ect, i have a huge amount of respect for the countryside, the word shooter to me has no definitive example to go by, but in.my veiw the first one is a true country man as he helped the the very type of of bird he pursues when shooting, the second also shares the same will to help wildlife by the fact he puts bird boxes up so for me thats a hard one! But shooter i guess is sombody that does nothing but shoot!

Edited by fabarm gamma boy

I do things to benifit the wildlife, infact i have found that over the years ive stopped just shooting things for shootings sake.

I now pretty much shoot only fox and deer.

Ive spent weeks with a chainsaw thining out the wood to let light in. Now the bird song is loud where as there was non before.

Planting willow/ivy to help the deer in winter.

Feeding owls when snows on the ground.

Bird boxes ect

I do things to benifit the wildlife, infact i have found that over the years ive stopped just shooting things for shootings sake.

I now pretty much shoot only fox and deer.

Ive spent weeks with a chainsaw thining out the wood to let light in. Now the bird song is loud where as there was non before.

Planting willow/ivy to help the deer in winter.

Feeding owls when snows on the ground.

Bird boxes ect

Yes but thats not the definition of being a shooter thats being a conservationist ! you can do conservation work and never do any shooting !

I would class a shooter as someone who knows what his chosen weapon is capable of and because of that knowledge can utilise it to it's full capabilities,all the rest is being a"countryman"

I think I am looking at, A man who has the highest Skills, Knowledge & Attitude to excel in the sport of shooting.

Perhaps it may be as simple as knowing your sport and being willing to safeguard & promote it in everything you do.

George Digweed (don't know him) springs to mind, he shoots clays but understands the need for vermin control of all kinds. You can see the love he has for his environment when shooting pigeon and he accepts the effects this will have on his clay work.

i used to spend 6 nights a week shooting foxes.

i assume that will satisfy the shooting part.

Yes in my book.

When I was a boy growing up, I would pass a very large bit of land with a pond in the middle.

I was told it belonged to Solway Wildfowlers, it had Ducks, Geese & other waterfowl in....I always thought they were getting them fat to eat.

These were birds that local's had dropped off to recover from injury or starvation, later to be released back into the wild.

All these were looked after by the best shot I have ever seen, it is this respect for the birds he would shoot that I admire most

Clue in the first syllable too ;)

Interesting thread. Rather than Shooter I prefer "trigger man", "shootist", or simply "gunman." I also hold my air pistol sideways "gangsta stylee" when shooting hares at 704 yards.

But each to their own.

Would that be a .177 or .22 air pistol,or is you old skool and stick to soft tail darts which are renowned for their long range accuracy and stopping power. :lol:

Edited by welsh1

I have met only a few people in my life that I call 'Shooters'.

I am a person who shoots & I know many who are like me.....I want to know how you would define those below.

I first started shooting with Gordon Baker (Wildfowler) who would say we are going shooting Duck today.

He had been feeding a large pond for a month and today was the day, we did well.....on the way back we picked up a goose that had been hit by a car that he had heard about & he nursed it back to health? He is the best shot I have ever seen.

The person I now shoot with will pick me up in his truck at 8.00am and as I get in, three dead pigeon and a crow greet me in the footwell, "Oh I just had a few shots on the way to pick you up"....he is always early. He lives four miles away from me and tells me every animal he has seen on the short trip, and then we go off to shoot. We go back after shooting 32 pigeon to his truck to have a bit to eat, his food is found under 13 small bird boxes he picked up that morning & asks when we will put them up?

As I have said I am a person that shoots, how would you define these two men?

This is not meant to put people down who consider themselves shooters, all I hope to do is define the very small percentage in the sport who perhaps are 'countrymen' or a link to a tribe long lost? I have never made a knife, loaded my own cartridges, made my own decoys, shot over 300 pigeon in a day or even mended a broken wing of a goose & wonder what sets these men apart?

Hunter/Naturalist.