Evolution/natural selection. Yes or no?

FalconFN

Evolution. Wright or wrong  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you broadly believe that evolution through natural selection created complex life (humans) on Earth?

• Yes. Darwinism is about right
    • No. God designed every living thing separately
    • No, God made Adam 4,500 years ago from clay
    • No. Non human intelligent lifeforms had a hand.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are properly sucked in by all this bible tripe aint ya?....what with all your quotes and fancy words I find that really sad....keep taking the medicine.

No it is called education. My parents could not afford it when I was a kid, so now I am retired I can and I will, for God`s greater glory and the simple joys of learning, so on that I will bid you a good-night and won`t see you until I have finished my essay or after the England match has finished.

Apologies for another off thread tangent, but here goes....

Nope, Jesus as God incarnate condensed the ten into two, which if you read it in context makes sense. God created man in his image and if you love your neighbour as yourself then you honour God, if you love God fully you will honour him by loving your neighbour...

If that is true, why would God need opposeable thumbs? Or for that matter genatalia or even an appendix? But I suppose, as with other valid observations that call into question biblical accuracy, you can either claim that the bible is a literal and factual text or just a metaphore.

We obviously disagree on this topic, and it has been fun debating it, but I can't help thinking that all we are really doing is mutually reinforcing our own points of view and that there will never be a 'winner'. Enjoy your essay!

ATB

Edited by FalconFN

If that is true, why would God need opposeable thumbs? Or for that matter genetalia or even an appendix?

So he could have a companion to spend eternity with and not seem out of place with, unlike Richard Dawkins who will get to spend eternity with a flying spaghetti monster (its a joke, don`t take it seriously, we christians do tell them now and again).

Can I go to bed now?

I never inagined God as the awkward, insecure bloke at a party who dosent quite 'fit in', stands too close to women and gets asked to leave.

See, you are created in his image...

....another joke (we christians are good at this) just in case someone jumps to conclusions and gets a strop on!

religion has been called the opium for the people maybe a bit of truth in that,

how long you been christian henry could it be you took it up in later life as after seeing death over the years as you get older you fear your own and need some hope? nobody could blame you for that i dont think any off us here are keen to kick the bucket.

religion has been called the opium for the people maybe a bit of truth in that,

how long you been christian henry could it be you took it up in later life as after seeing death over the years as you get older you fear your own and need some hope? nobody could blame you for that i dont think any off us here are keen to kick the bucket.

Coming up for three years and no, I always did stupid, in retrospect, risky stuff in my past careers and never once thought I could be hurt, petrol tanker on fire, acetylene cylinders in factory fire, scampering across pitched roofs.

Kicking the bucket is the best thing for a Christian, but I have so much to do in the mean time as Paul said "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." and tea break is over, back to the essay.... :/

I have found that there are some extraordinary coincidences involved when people find religion. Not only are people generally drawn to a religion that is part of the culture they were raised in, God normally calls them to the church that is the most convenient. Handy how the definite, one truth of the universe is that being preached by the pastors 5 minutes down the road.

Back on track - evolution is fact.

Atheists are in heaven now - this lovely earth of ours.

I'd like to stay here for another 300 years - or eternity.

If everyone was atheist, and didn't believe in a heaven, then maybe we would look after this one a bit better than we do.

As I've got older I have become more and more convinced that religion is just nonsense that people would love to be true. Like the tooth fairy or Father Christmas or Harry Potter.

Something put it all together but there has to be a more convincing argument than a god creating it all just to judge the good and the bad of only one species (on one planet) out of all the millions that he/she created.

If he/she built all this lot from scratch then he/she could surely come up with a better reason than that.

Also quite funny is the bit where a bloke gives his misses jewelry and she makes them into a sex toy.

"And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."

— ISAIAH 34:7

"You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them."

— EZEKIEL 16:17

"Hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own **** with you?"

— ISAIAH 36:12

"So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son."

— 2 KINGS 6:29

Just a few reasons why I don't believe the bible

...Just a few reasons why I don't believe the bible

I would not believe that either, but if you take something out of context then it can mean anything eg. The Bible says "There is no God".

Can god fly?

Is this a creation matter?

Anyhoo must fly, still writing and the rugby is on at 5

Edited by henry d

I would not believe that either, but if you take something out of context then it can mean anything eg. The Bible says "There is no God".

Is this a creation matter?

Anyhoo must fly, still writing and the rugby is on at 5

No its a genuine question. Can he fly?