Buying a second hand shotgun - assessing quality

Oli

Morning All

Having got my SGC i now have the painful pleasure of purchasing a new gun for myself, putting aside all the worries of actually knowing what is a good gun for me i was wondering if there are any obvious tips that people can provide for assessing the quality of a second hand gun, for example there is an obvious difference between new and old guns in the stiffness of the action when breaking the gun open, how lose is bad etc. etc.. What are the things i should be checking on to ensure im not buying a lemon :)

cheers

Oli

Hi, O/U primarily for clays but also some field work in the future (once i can hit more than a barn door), most likely one of either Baretta, Browning or Miroku , generally it seems you cant go wrong with them but just want to make sure if i buy second hand i dont get something with too much wear and tear

Posted this one the other day which you might find useful for an O/U - Post #9...

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/241692-what-to-look-out-for-when-buying-a-new-gun/

I should have also added to look for black staining of the wood where it meets the action. It's a sign of being heavily oiled, which doesn't do the stock any good at all.

Looseness? Any sideways play at all is bad. A gun should feel smooth to open and close, with sufficient friction to stop it being 'sloppy'.

Berretta actions use stub pins as these wear larger ones can be fitted (needs a gunsmith to do it but £50-70) Brownign and Miroku dont so if they wear or are are worn it takes more to repair but can be done, look out for splits in foreend wood or deep scraping on the sides of the action.

Good guid ehere http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/guns/buying-guns-at-auction.cfm a reputable dealer shoudl offer a warranty on a used gun usually 3-12 months.

Pending on your budget go to a reputable dealer such as trulock and Harris in Framingham or richardsons of halesworth, or do what we do around the Norfolk Suffolk border and go to Phillip websters at attleborough , as said

What's your budget ? you need to be carefull at the budget end of things as it will be an old gun more than likely,

browning, miroku beretta would be best as a always sought after guns and if you buy sensibly you won't lose much when you upgrade, don't buy a converted trap gun!!!! If you are new to shotguns

Where in Suffolk are you?

Pending on your budget go to a reputable dealer such as trulock and Harris in Framingham or richardsons of halesworth, or do what we do around the Norfolk Suffolk border and go to Phillip websters at attleborough , as said

What's your budget ? you need to be carefull at the budget end of things as it will be an old gun more than likely,

browning, miroku beretta would be best as a always sought after guns and if you buy sensibly you won't lose much when you upgrade, don't buy a converted trap gun!!!! If you are new to shotguns

Where in Suffolk are you?

Why would you not want a converted trap gun? Only ask as that's what I have, didn't even know the difference at the time ,

Thanks again for all the feedback, sishyplops I'm In a village just north of Bury, my budget is between 1-2k so I don't necessarily need to go second hand as there are some good new guns in that range. Simpsons would be my local shop and I've also been having lessons over at Cambridge gun club, both of which seem to provide a good option for picking something up. I'm planning to try the three makes I previously mentioned first before buying, a mate shoots a miroku and I've got a session lined up for friday on that.

As an aside the Lanber I've been having lessons with has been leaving me with bruising on my upper cheek, I'm not confident/experienced enough yet on my mount to know if it's a fit problem or a technique problem, the coach suggested getting an adjustable stock to ensure a good fit and they seem to be a bit pricier hence considering getting a second hand one. The last thing I want to do is get say a new silver pigeon ( which I like ) but find I don't get on with it, however I guess if I'm patient and find a way to try as many first before purchasing there will be less chance of regretting the purchase.

It's a bit chicken and egg really, I don't have my mount anywhere near perfected or repeatable so knowing if a gun really fits is a bit tricky, therefore thinking about the adjustable stock.... Over thinking or what :)

Generally fixed choke, shoots high and weigh a bleedin ton ,

Erm thats a trap gun.......... a converted trap gun will generally be MC, often thin wall teagues, will shoot depending on the fit to the shooter and may be a touch heavier but there are sporters that heavy! a High rib gun wouldn't be ideal for most beginners (or would it?)

Miroku generally have a lower comb height than browning and beretta and that would help with i kicking your cheek but get it fitted to you, it is well worth the investment to have it done, we are all different , have a look at a MK38 Teague sporter you could pick up a real beauty for that kind of budget

Erm thats a trap gun.......... a converted trap gun will generally be MC, often thin wall teagues, will shoot depending on the fit to the shooter and may be a touch heavier but there are sporters that heavy! a High rib gun wouldn't be ideal for most beginners (or would it?)

Thank you I know what a trap gun is and what you say is true about converted trap guns BUT NOT ALL have the benefit of expensive Teague conversions, most I would suggest just have the chokes taken out to 1/4 and 1/2 and have maybe a bit taken off the comb, all I am suggesting is to avoid one of these, but with Oli's budget that won't be a problem

Miroku generally have a lower comb height than browning and beretta and that would help with i kicking your cheek but get it fitted to you, it is well worth the investment to have it done, we are all different , have a look at a MK38 Teague sporter you could pick up a real beauty for that kind of budget

Thanks, I'd read this about miroku too when googling about my cheek.. Will see how it goes with my mates.

I am the same, I generally have always had Brownings (B25 Trap, 325 Trap, 325 Sporter) and I get walloped in the cheek and have always had them fitted i just like to shoot flat and look straight down the rib, My Miroku MK60 is quite a bit lower in the comb as were both my MK38's but the lure of a pretty Browning has always enticed me away, if you get a gun with a mid bead the ideal is to line the beads up in a figure 8 with the mid bead just below the muzzle bead, but it is what will work for you, a shotgun is not a scalpel but you will be amazed at how many you miss over the top

Your cheek issue could also be that you are lifting your head slightly off the stock when looking for the target, problem is once it starts to hurt you tend to pull your face away a bit which of course makes it worse, just wait till summer when the cartridges have a bit more kick in them then you will wish you took up golf :lol:

Edited by sishyplops

Lol thanks, it's funny you should say that about shooting over the top though, most of my misses seem to be because of that. On the pattern plate I'm dead on but I guess you have a bit more time to adjust and "snuggle" into the gun... This sport isnt as easy as it looks from the outside that's for sure

I have just bought new silver pigeon 1,before that i had a miruko mk70 which i found to be low in the comb for me,i considered getting an adjustable comb fitted but in the end sold it and went back to a beretta,best thing i done the newer guns tend to be higher in the comb then the older ones,try as many guns as you can till you find one that fits.

So I went down to the local clay ground with my mate today and put about 50 clays through his miroku, I found the double beed quite useful as my mount isn't exactly perfected yet so it was a good check. It didn't irritate my cheek so I don't have to walk around work looking like I've been a fight, and considering my lack of experience I shot pretty well with it, best round being 8/10, I won't mention the worse :).

Afterwards we popped into a local gun shop in a town with far too many horses and I checked out a few of their guns, they have a couple of nice mk70s in stock which seemed to fit well.... I was planning to wait until the new tax yr before splashing out but I told the Mrs I would buy her a prezzie when I got my new toy so she's telling me I should just go and get one.... Who am I to argue with her that knows best :)

Now the only question is do I break the budget and go for the grade 5 or be sensible and go for the grade 1... Since It's my first gun and I suspect it will be a work horse I guess I had better go with the head and get the grade 1, id only cry if I scratched the 5.

The mrs is bored of me talking about it so thought I would overshare on here, at least you guys have the choice of ignoring the post :)