Update on shotmaking

Hi, That is spectacular, well done. I always say that, " Making your own cartridges, and successfully hitting a target with them, is akin to catching a salmon on a fly you've tied yourself". How much better must if feel to produce the shot in them yourself! As well as the satisfaction, the cost saving must give you a nice warm feeling in the wallet!

That looks good what cost is it to make the shot I hear that you can make small shot better than bigger size

Is that true

Yes it's because there is a smaller mass of molten lead in each pellet resulting in less issues as it solidifies suddenly in the coolant. If this happens more quickly than the molten lead can absorb the drop in temperature the outside will set but the inside will remain molten and it will burst like popcorn resulting in what resembles lead wool. To a lesser extent tiny dimples in the shot can also be an acceptable result of this happening and don't affect its use really.

Best thing is to not let the lead get over hot, you will hear it crackling as it enters the coolant if it does.

how much was that 40 kilos to make :)

I've no idea as it was scraps of this, that and the other lying around, scrounged, bought!

You gonna graphite it?

Looks good shot that :yes: What size is that?

Already graphited, although it doesn't show in the pic. It looks a lot better than the pic shows. Its size 6.

Did you make all the bits or buy them

I bought the steel and fabricated the shot tray, bought the drippers from another pw member, element from fleebay, wire from local source, simmerstat from fleebay, an old bucket for the shot to drop into, baking tray fo it to sit on with an overflow pipe brased in. Coolant is tescos cheapest fabric conditioner. And loads of help and advice from the members on here, Sitsinhedges in particular. Its not easy, believe me. You can't just plug it in and make reasonable shot. Theres a great deal of skill in making it work, and i'm still serving my apprenticeship!!!!!!!