homemade nightvision evo,s

evo

hey guys

just checking i am buying the right camera, i am looking on the sure 24 site

http://www.sure24.co.uk/kpc-s190swx-bullet-cam-3-7mm-1-3-mono-420tvl-9-5v-external

I think this is the one but wanted to check as it say lens type fixed, and lens size 3.6mm

The question i got am i going to be able to change this lens for the 12mm even tho it say fixed?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes thats it, lens is easy to change... unscrew the front cover off, undo a small flat head scre and unscrew the lens

when i put my 12mm lens in i had to screw it in and connect it to the screen to check focus, when i got it right (or as close as i could) i did up the small screw to lock it into place and screwed the cover back on

Hi all just an update on the EVO20 kit, took it out last night on on of my perms, made the mistake of driving onto the land, rabbits where everywhere, and of they went but we had a couple, heres a video to show you the capabilities of the kit whilst out in a hunting situation and to show you just how my kit performs,

thanks for watching

Evo

http://youtu.be/D5hPcbDSsLA

ps I,ll be doing another video tonight now I,m getting familiar with the recorder , I will be using it with my airwolf and a hawk scope ,

Edited by evo

cheers mate you can get the picture crystal clear using a front parallax scope like the hawk, just built one for someone off the net and the results through his hawk scope are superb, crystal clear even on max mag

have to say was even impressed myself , im going to try my kit out on the airwolf tonight so I,ll post another video up to show just how sharp the images are through the hawk scope,

cheers Evo

Just an update on the EJ230 x view camera, this camera has so much to offer.I have now found out by watching rolaids 3.0 scopeless nv set up on youtube, how you cut out whiteout at close distances. The camera also has the facility to create cross hairs and zero just like u would using the pulsar 550 or 750.I am realy interested in ditching the scope and trying this out. But at the moment the current set up is awsome.The last 2 nights out I have bagged a 36 and a 38. I can even make out the diff shades in the rabbits fur at100mtrs.(can actually see out to 500mtrs with the NM 800 on full)

Again thanks to Evo for planting the seed, I think you should get your head together with Rolaids in the states.He seems to have contacts with watec and the comp that make the EJ230 and the 190 that you use.

Edited by Davyo

Just an update on the EJ230 x view camera, this camera has so much to offer.I have now found out by watching rolaids 3.0 scopeless nv set up on youtube, how you cut out whiteout at close distances. The camera also has the facility to create cross hairs and zero just like u would using the pulsar 550 or 750.I am realy interested in ditching the scope and trying this out. But at the moment the current set up is awsome.The last 2 nights out I have bagged a 36 and a 38. I can even make out the diff shades in the rabbits fur at100mtrs.(can actually see out to 500mtrs with the NM 800 on full)

Again thanks to Evo for planting the seed, I think you should get your head together with Rolaids in the states.He seems to have contacts with watec and the comp that make the EJ230 and the 190 that you use.

I,ve spoken with rolaids a couple of times mate , he,s a cracking guy, he has done a couple of builds using crosshair generators and they are an awesome piece of kit,

have to be honest tho , the kits I build suit air rifle and also .22 rimfire but when on a top quality scope they are superb for 100-150 even 200 yrds no problem, I,ve just built one to go on a hawk scope and I have to say the picture quality and shooting distances I was getting through his scope far outreached my expectations, I was actually watching people sitting on a bench 300 yrds away, I could clearly see the hedge line which was 300+ yrds and the picture on the lcd screen was crystal clear as where they,

I have spent a fortune buying different cameras and experimenting with different IR,s and I am happy now, but will be even happier once my goodies arrive and I can try them out,

I,ll keep ya informed if I find any improvements,

all the best guys and gals

Evo (Bob)

Here is my finished NV using the Sony EJ230 with the NM800 IR.All tucks away in a carry box.The battery below the LCD screen in the box lasts all night but I have wrapped it in a foam insulation tape a quy gave me who works with industrial aircon systems.This should protect the battery in sub zero conditions.I bought 2 diff sized tubes (thanks again kiffy) so I can swap the cam over from the rimmy to the air rifle.I also bought a Tactical gun bag so I can set it all up before I leave home so its just ready for the bolt and the mag.Comes in handy when I am travelling between farms.

Edited by Davyo

Roland is a really nice guy. When he said 'some bloke' in Europe had planted the 'scopeless' seed in his head it, he was referring to my somewhat agricultural effort here, the big black box with a knob on top housed a crosshair generator and some of the wiring:

scopelessWatec902rig_zps239c4144.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/media/scopelessWatec902rig_zps239c4144.jpg.html?sort=3&o=14

I'm very glad he was able to improve the concept of DIY scopeless rigs because they can see so much better - and are therefore so much more covert because they don't need such powerfull IR illuminators helping to give away a shooters presence.

Edited by Dave-G

looks a really interesting setup you have there dave, is there a post on here with more info about it as i'd love to know more

had a spare case here so thought id store all my nv stuff in it.. all nice and safe and room for more toys

post-58889-0-40260700-1379052068_thumb.jpg

looks a really interesting setup you have there dave, is there a post on here with more info about it as i'd love to know more

had a spare case here so thought id store all my nv stuff in it.. all nice and safe and room for more toys

attachicon.gifIMG_1271.JPG

Nice case there. I cant go back far enough to find the story but heres a follow up follow up thread of it on early trials while i try googling it with pw in the search;

Bear in mind the objective was to shoot bunnies without using IR, and what i saw on the 4" screen is much better than you see here after youtube degrades it.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/225424-dedicated-night-vision-home-brew-rig-christened-this-morning/

EDIT: Google this to take you to one of the forums where the project unfolded, complete with a parts list but others there have substantially improved the concept now: Watec based dedicated NV home brew rig

Edited by Dave-G

talking of crosshair generator rigs, I have been looking at these and to be honest the minute you mention crosshair generator and watec cameras then the price of building your own starts to go through the roof which is not what I have tried to do,i have built a kit that is more than affordable to all shooters and will do the job it is being asked to do which can be used on rifles upto 17hmr and at a cost people can certainly afford,

the crosshair generation is the next step up and is truelly a great idea but is not the thing for me,

I aimed to build something that could just slip on the rifle to use at night and be taken back off in seconds to use your rifle by day, crosshair generators and watec cameras is deflecting my thread in another direction but is worth having a look at for your next build , but not for me ,

Rolaids has improved his considerably but when you consider just how much it will cost to build then it does not become available to the average joe blogs because of expense, for us people that like to experiment yes for others No,

please don't divert this thread with the above mentioned generators , start a new thread as its not what I am aiming at getting across,

cheers mate Evo

kiffy by the way mate glad you left that space in the middle bud as the other torch will fit there perfectly lol will post first thing Monday when I get a chance to get to the post office

Sorry EVO its prob me that started the cross hairs issue, I only mentioned that the SJ230 has the facility already built in, there was no intension to divert your thread.Your threat is the reason why i have ended up with a sub £200 NV that nocks spots of the £600 stuff on the market.

Davyo you brought up a valid point about the ej230,and what features these sony cams have,glad to see your set up coming along nicely,be worth trying one of the newer 5" hd screens for a better word,really shows the limitations of the 4.3 in comparison and will improve your overall picture quality no end.Have ordered a small camera to try,hopefully be here in a couple of weeks,cheap as chips,but if it works should be good for a 100yds,so worked out the cost of the ir lamp,screen,camera,battery and sundries to about £103,but that's another story and will start a new thread,........

What a really cool set up. Well done looks cool man.

Couple questions.

Where did u get a case and y so many torches?

And what's the second screen? Recording? What is it and how does it work? Do you use 2 screens on you setup?

And just a quick question for u evo.

What camera are using in ur kits? Still the bullet camera?

Are they the best camera u using to date?

And what screens is best used, been looking at the cheap 4.3 TFT one and the 5 inch ones. What are people recommending?

Edited by garyc

And just a quick question for u evo.

What camera are using in ur kits? Still the bullet camera?

Are they the best camera u using to date?

And what screens is best used, been looking at the cheap 4.3 TFT one and the 5 inch ones. What are people recommending?

hi gary, I use the bullet cameras on some kits but also use a board camera on others, I like to use a smaller screen as I think it give off less reflection and is also smaller to hump around on the top of a rifle,

the 5" screen is great but a bit too big for my liking but if someone wanted one on there kit I would fit it , it,s just my personal preference to use a smaller screen, I have been using the angel eyes as a screen and to record also and although its 2.5" its fine to shoot with but better because I can record

with regards the 4.3 screen I have just built a kit for one of the guys off here and he wanted one and I have to say I was quite impressed with it and gave a great picture so to be honest I think its down to what the person shooting prefers ,

Sorry EVO its prob me that started the cross hairs issue, I only mentioned that the SJ230 has the facility already built in, there was no intension to divert your thread.Your threat is the reason why i have ended up with a sub £200 NV that nocks spots of the £600 stuff on the market.

nothing bad meant mate at all, just didn,t want to deflect from our homebuilds mate was not aimed at anyone in particular but it would make an interesting thread I have to say

cheers mate Bob

by the way there are a few people who would not believe the distances you can get with your setup, I was out last week with one of the lads on here and could clearly see rabbits eyeshine the other end of the fairway and it was a par four so just goes to show with the right gear and a decent camera you DONT need to pay silly money to enjoy the sport of shooting in the dark

cheers davyo,,,,Evo

Daves was only being helpful and informative EVO,with the Rolaids connection,sorry if hes taking your limelight!! I'm sure that was not his intention....

???

didn,t get that sorry

dave has always been helpful to me and others also so sorry if you misunderstood me

What a really cool set up. Well done looks cool man.

Couple questions.

Where did u get a case and y so many torches?

And what's the second screen? Recording? What is it and how does it work? Do you use 2 screens on you setup?

got the case from maplins, bought it and changed my mind on using it at the time as i found and bought a matching pair of better quality grey ones. one for my camera equipment and one for my astronomy equipment.. thought with the value of the contents i wanted better quality cases.. i think it was around twenty five quid but i cant remember.. its perfect for storing these bits in.. and i am quite funny and like things stored nice and tidy (i know sad!)

why so many torches.. well i bought a green one for the air rifle last year.. was really impressed with the power and quality of such a cheap little torch so when i staretd my nv i bought another one for the ir as i wanted to keep the green.. i kept the green one as i wont always want to use nv.. bought the red one as a change from the green and its handy for my astronomy setup as the red light doesnt effect our night eye.. so three torches for three options depending on mood :)

second screen is for recording, if you look back a page or two and see my setup when i put it together i added a second phono socket so i could connect a dvr... when i got it i was tempted to use it instead of the screen i had but is smaller and darker, the screens evo found are brilliant and really bright. recorded does work, ive only done some back garden testing so far, like i said its darker image than what we see but it does show whats happening.. im borrowing a torch of evo soon to try so hopefully it will brighten up the recording to..

edit: heres a link to the dvr i used. the same model is available on there cheaper but their from china i went for a uke seller as it was quicker and easier if something goes wrong

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261225300694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Edited by kiffy