.223 CZ 527 Laminate. What are your thoughts?

lewis2012

Hi all i recently had my variation approved for a .223 + mod for dispatching charlie.

I have been doing research and research on different manufacturers, what to avoid etc.

Im kind of falling for the CZ527 in laminate stock. I already have a CZ452 american in 17hmr and we all knw they speak for themselves, what opinions do you guys have on the 527 ? I really like the look of that stock with the heavy barrel, also has an adjustable trigger in which you push the trigger forward before firing and that gives drops the trigger pull to around 1.5 - 2lbs.

My HMR is nothing short of immensely accurate in fact it probably would outshoot my capabilities but it is a tad heavy as its a heavy barrel, wearing nikko stirling platinum nighteaters 10-50x60 + bipod but not a great deal as ill shoot off sticks or bipod.

Thanks all

Lewis

Hi all i recently had my variation approved for a .223 + mod for dispatching charlie.

I have been doing research and research on different manufacturers, what to avoid etc.

Im kind of falling for the CZ527 in laminate stock. I already have a CZ452 american in 17hmr and we all knw they speak for themselves, what opinions do you guys have on the 527 ? I really like the look of that stock with the heavy barrel, also has an adjustable trigger in which you push the trigger forward before firing and that gives drops the trigger pull to around 1.5 - 2lbs.

My HMR is nothing short of immensely accurate in fact it probably would outshoot my capabilities but it is a tad heavy as its a heavy barrel, wearing nikko stirling platinum nighteaters 10-50x60 + bipod but not a great deal as ill shoot off sticks or bipod.

Thanks all

Lewis

Why are you looking at a heavy barrel if you suggest your HMR is already a tad heavy?

If it works for you then fine.......

I don't have any use for a scope that starts 10x for field use, frankly I don't get it, 10-50x60?! :hmm::hmm: What on earth are you thinking of putting on the .223?

A great gun, but I have never tried the laminate only the Kevlar and the sporting versions. Its not heavy unless your some sort of wimp. The 527 is a great dedicated small cf with the controlled round feed of the mini mauser type action. Barrels are as good as it come chambers are very well cut very concentric and on the tight side. For foxing I should consider cutting the tube back a bit and fitting a moddy. viewed directly against a walnut stocked T3 hunter I bet its lighter off the top of my head

A great gun, but I have never tried the laminate only the Kevlar and the sporting versions. Its not heavy unless your some sort of wimp. The 527 is a great dedicated small cf with the controlled round feed of the mini mauser type action. Barrels are as good as it come chambers are very well cut very concentric and on the tight side. For foxing I should consider cutting the tube back a bit and fitting a moddy. viewed directly against a walnut stocked T3 hunter I bet its lighter off the top of my head

CZ527 .223 Laminate 3.6KG .......T3 Hunter .223 3.0-3.1kg ..........the Hunter is around 500-600g lighter, about 1.25lb!

The Hunter is actually fractionally lighter than the Heavy Barrel 17 HMR he already has which he suggests is a "tad heavy".

Edited by Dekers

A mate of mine has the 527 in .223 and its a cracking rifle for a walk out, so when looking for one I picked up a 527 in the laminate stock and to be honest it felt like I had a horses fetlock in my hand, the palm swell was just too much and I knew I wouldn't get on with it. I tried one in a sporter and it was much more manageable but in the end I opted for an Howa in synthetic stock.

CZ527 .223 Laminate 3.6KG .......T3 Hunter .223 3.0-3.1kg ..........the Hunter is around 500-600g lighter, about 1.25lb!

The Hunter is actually fractionally lighter than the Heavy Barrel 17 HMR he already has which he suggests is a "tad heavy".

Sorry I forgot they make half the T3 out of plastic were the 527 is all metal, first gun that came into my head- takes a guy like you to look it up LOL

Sorry I forgot they make half the T3 out of plastic were the 527 is all metal, first gun that came into my head- takes a guy like you to look it up LOL

I don't need to look it up, I like and use light rifles and know the weights of many of the popular ones, and you are wrong again, the Hunter YOU quoted is NOT plastic, if you want a T3 Lite "plastic" it is even lighter, so you were even more wrong!

Throwing around incorrect information does not help anyone.

The OP mentioned weight, the 527 Laminate is heavier than his existing HMR, it is certainly not a HEAVY rifle but facts are better than Off the top of my head.

Edited by Dekers

I don't need to look it up, I like and use light rifles and know the weights of many of the popular ones, and you are wrong again, the Hunter YOU quoted is NOT plastic, if you want a T3 Lite "plastic" it is even lighter, so you were even more wrong!

Throwing around incorrect information does not help anyone.

The OP mentioned weight, the 527 Laminate is heavier than his existing HMR, it is certainly not a HEAVY rifle but facts are better than Off the top of my head.

get real rear bolt shroud, mag all the bottom "iron" = plastic you blooming did look it up or how did you know the weights of both guns. The CZ is steel in all those areas and yes Walnut is lighter than beech and lighter again than Laminate. If The Italian accountants let the Finnish engineers make them from metal like they used to it would be a better gun but I think it might swallow up a tad more weight

get real rear bolt shroud, mag all the bottom "iron" = plastic you blooming did look it up or how did you know the weights of both guns. The CZ is steel in all those areas and yes Walnut is lighter than beech and lighter again than Laminate. If The Italian accountants let the Finnish engineers make them from metal like they used to it would be a better gun but I think it might swallow up a tad more weight

Some of us still have some memory cells left.

The rear bolt shroud is an extra to requirements and not needed, it's just put on as an extra trim, EXTRA to anything on the CZ, the magazine is plastic, so what, bottom iron as you put it is plastic for durability, and is bigger and bulkier than metal equivalent, I can't be bothered to take it off and check the weight but if it a grain or two less than metal it would surprise me, it may even be heavier, hardly half the gun and little or nothing to do with any weight reduction, anything else you would like me to straighten you out on!?!

Edited by Dekers

The rear bolt shroud is an extra to requirements and not needed, it's just put on as an extra trim, EXTRA to anything on the CZ, the magazine is plastic, so what, bottom iron as you put it is plastic for durability, and is bigger and bulkier than metal equivalent, I can't be bothered to take it off and check the weight but if it a grain or two less than metal it would surprise me, it may even be heavier, hardly half the gun and little or nothing to do with any weight reduction, anything else you would like me to straighten you out on!?!

Ooo, you are mad I reminded you of your profession arnt you just. Metal don't compress or change its properties (and often dimensions) in changing temperatures often rapidly (pretty relevant for those action screw tensions), plastic is considerably lighter than steel any school kid knows that (grains? come on now) next time I pick up a plastic cup I will think of how similar it is in weight to a steel one and how much more durable LOL! Oh sorry you changed your mind a bit mid post now thinking plastic might be heavier than steel, that foils my plans to make lightweight plastic RSJ's for the construction industry then. It was a right devil getting the steelwork erected here and I thought I had hit onto something good then- oh well back to the drawing board!

I've got a standard 527 in .223 and its superb. I bought it second hand and I don't mind knocking it around a bit which in my eyes is what's to be expected in a proper foxing rifle whilst out on foot climbing over gates etc. The trigger pull will be a lot lighter than 1.5-2lbs with the set trigger activated. Personally I find it too light for field use and it is possible to adjust the trigger for normal operation to a very light pull.

It's superbly accurate and mine's a 1in12 twist so I'm limited to lighter rounds. I get on very well with 40grn Federal V-Max for the flat trajectory but it will shoot 55grn as accurately.

Stock choice is down to your preference and whatever feels good in the users hands.

I have a 527 in .223, it is/was a Lux but I didn't like the stock at all, got rid of that and replaced with a Richards one, chopped and threaded the barrel and now it's my favourite rifle. My set trigger was silly, about 1/2lb from memory, I used it at the range initially and then decided to just adjust the set part out and lighten the main trigger pull.

Ooo, you are mad I reminded you of your profession arnt you just. Metal don't compress or change its properties (and often dimensions) in changing temperatures often rapidly (pretty relevant for those action screw tensions), plastic is considerably lighter than steel any school kid knows that (grains? come on now) next time I pick up a plastic cup I will think of how similar it is in weight to a steel one and how much more durable LOL! Oh sorry you changed your mind a bit mid post now thinking plastic might be heavier than steel, that foils my plans to make lightweight plastic RSJ's for the construction industry then. It was a right devil getting the steelwork erected here and I thought I had hit onto something good then- oh well back to the drawing board!

Once again you chose to misquote or misread, a plastic cup the thickness of a T3 trigger guard quite probably is heavier than steel!

There are already plastic structural beams, joists, etc but they don't call them Rigid Steel Joists for obvious reasons!

Perhaps, before I answer your next questions and you take this even further off topic you may wish to consider continuing this by PM, I'm sure few here have any interest in your plastic beams!

Edited by Dekers

Once again you chose to misquote or misread, a plastic cup the thickness of a T3 trigger guard probably is heavier than than steel!

There are already plastic structural beams, joists, etc but they don't call them Rigid Steel Joists for obvious reasons!

Perhaps, before I answer your next questions and you take this even further off topic you may wish to consider continuing this by PM, I'm sure few here have any interest in your plastic beams!

I seriously don't know what to think. I hope your not on medication that would make me feel very guilty. Yes I am thinking of plastic waggon containers think of the fuel savings , oops again sorry as you say my memory is obviously going its heavy stuff that plastic I keep forgetting even though its just as durable I was thinking of equal thickness to the steel used though so do you think that will work. Those horrible Chinese are stealing all the business at present as they don't need to pay so much maternity pay limiting people to only one child, I bet they beat me to it!

No, I sold it to Evil Elvis

I quite like them, shame