New Silosocks at UK Shootwarehouse

mag-man

I went to see Matt today at UK Shootwarehouse, and am trully amazed at the new silosocks.

When I drove in, they had some on the front lawn, and to honest I laughed when I saw them, and thought whatever next.

I asked Matt what they where all about, and to be honest was quite amazed when he explained it to me.

Us humans see a mixture of 3 colours, Red, Blue and Green, where as a pigeon see's 4 colours, being Red, Blue, Green and UV. He gave me a diagram of the decoys all in both the UV form and the normal kind, and I must say that the UV's stick out like a dogs plums. Besides that, that also compact up tighter than a shell decoy, they are much lighter, suit you right down to carry.

If you want to order them, use the link above, or if you close enough, go and see him, and see it for yourself.

I will be testing them on friday, so will let you guys know how they went.

arrived thursday, 2 of the new rotary flapping wing decoys.with the ultra violet paint.they look realy naff, but i thought i,ll have to try them.so out i went to one of my farms, but there was,nt a pigion in sight. so i thought this will be a real test,if these ******* pull birds from nowhere,they have to be good. and guess what, the seagulls went potty for them.they were going round and round, dropping down to about 12 ft.above the magnet. what a shame i dont shoot seagulls, i would have had 20 or 30 in no time.and then out of the blue along came a few pigions, just as i was packing up. to be fair i had,nt seen any pigions about till then , and i only gave it about 1 hour, so i,ll be out tomorrow giving it another try. fingers crossed.

arrived thursday, 2 of the new rotary flapping wing decoys.with the ultra violet paint.they look realy naff, but i thought i,ll have to try them.so out i went to one of my farms, but there was,nt a pigion in sight. so i thought this will be a real test,if these ******* pull birds from nowhere,they have to be good. and guess what, the seagulls went potty for them.they were going round and round, dropping down to about 12 ft.above the magnet. what a shame i dont shoot seagulls, i would have had 20 or 30 in no time.and then out of the blue along came a few pigions, just as i was packing up. to be fair i had,nt seen any pigions about till then , and i only gave it about 1 hour, so i,ll be out tomorrow giving it another try. fingers crossed.

Same here..............had loads of gulls circling my permission on the weekend.................

Im sorry to say this, but the new Sillosocks looks plain stupid!

Alright, maybe birds can see UV-light and all that, but they still look unnatural.

I have a 2 year old daughter, and even she can draw a better than this!

Why couldn't the developer make the same decoy just with a better sketch?

I mean to get a good sale "world wide" you need a product that also look good to the buyer.

To me this just looks like a kiddiedrawing.

Some of you are maybe thinking by now : "its your own choice if you belive them or not"

Yes, thats right, and im sure they work fine...I also might get some myself, but you can't blaim my sceptical on this by the looks of them :lol:

Just look at them hehe :lol:

SilloSocks Link here

Alright, maybe birds can see UV-light and all that, but they still look unnatural.

I mean to get a good sale "world wide" you need a product that also look good to the buyer.

Some of you are maybe thinking by now : "its your own choice if you belive them or not"

Yes, thats right, and im sure they work fine...I also might get some myself, but you can't blaim my sceptical on this by the looks of them :lol:

SilloSocks Link here

I thaught the same first time I saw a magnet, How wrong was I, bet 99% of pigeon shooters have used one.

As the saying goes "dont judge a book by its cover"

I have not seen any of these sillosocks so cant coment my self :lol:

Kipper :lol:

SilloSocks Link here

from what I understand, they are painted in detail like that to highlight even more what the pigeon see's in UV.

You, your 2 year old, any of us humans do not see with UV vision, and so do I agree with you that they do look differant, but it is only so that they are highlighted to full effect for what the pigeon will see, and not us

SilloSocks Link here

from what I understand, they are painted in detail like that to highlight even more what the pigeon see's in UV.

You, your 2 year old, any of us humans do not see with UV vision, and so do I agree with you that they do look differant, but it is only so that they are highlighted to full effect for what the pigeon will see, and not us

True, but why make them like a flat cardboard bird?

What happens when the birds see them from above? (like pigeons do)

Here is a illusion what they would see:

=======

Thats what the bird is going to see.

Would be much better with a halfshell decoy painted that way.

Kikkan, cutouts and silhouettes seem to work perfectly well for geese and ducks, so I don't see why they won't work for pigeons.

I think when pigeons are approaching decoys, or first see them, they are looking at colour, shape and movement, I doubt they take in as much detail as we think they do.

These pigeon sillysocks (guess someone had to say it) are I believe a development from similar items that have been around for some years for geese. Now I know for a fact that the goose ones work fine in the half light of dawn (anyone who's ever hid under one of those giant plastic deeks or used scrunched up newsprint under the moon will know this) but maybe not so well in good light.

I'm not critisizing as I haven't yet tried them and will do so as I luv toys so lets wait and see the reports and then judge.

Magnets are a different thing altogether and like most revolutionary things (sic) only happen once in a blue moon. Most pigeon decoys will pull pigeons at some time or another so it's very difficult to be sure what works best.

As for the UV paint, well the theory sounds good but that's still not the simple answer.

SilloSocks Link here

True, but why make them like a flat cardboard bird?

What happens when the birds see them from above? (like pigeons do)

Here is a illusion what they would see:

=======

Thats what the bird is going to see.

Would be much better with a halfshell decoy painted that way.

Kikkan. I think you missed the whole idea of the Sillysocks design.

The body of the bird is a full body once inflated with wind. Only the head and neck are made of plastic card.

So when viewed from above they DO look like a full bodied decoy EXCEPT the head area which is unimportant as the incoming bird simply thinks that the decoy its looking at must have its head down stuffing its face with food. The Sillouette part of the design comes into effect really when looking from the side.

However as these decoys move about so much in the wind, they rarely stay in a fixed position so the chances of a Pigeon seeing the socks in this ====== position and thinking "hold on a minute thats a decoy made from plastic card" are totally remote!

I'll send you a nice DVD free of charge if you'd like to be totally convinced of how well they work. Just PM your address.

• 2 weeks later...
Still waiting for the DVD Will :blink:

I have the dvd and some deeks and flappers, if the woodies ever come out the oak trees I can give them a test :lol: but just now very few birds about and whilst i would love to have a crack there are duck about ;)

had the dvd come today of the sillosocks decoys from ukshootwarehouse,there look the part this must be one of the xmas pres from the wife for xmas.cant wait two try them on the rape and so on.good dvd.

Did you see the hypa flaps in action........one of those things you need to see to believe

had the dvd come today of the sillosocks decoys from ukshootwarehouse,there look the part this must be one of the xmas pres from the wife for xmas.cant wait two try them on the rape and so on.good dvd.

Did you see the hypa flaps in action........one of those things you need to see to believe

yes i did and they look very reel,the dvd is very good.if they dont pull the pigeons in nothing will.

Ive bought 5 of each decoys and the hyper flaps they look great on the dvd i was a bit disapionted with build quality and materials.

I cant see £45 in the hyper flaps i recon they cost 3 copies of an old blue peter programe some sticky tape an old inner from a toilet roll and mums washing up liquid bottle when its empty. :stupid::stupid:

But if they work its worth the money i suppose,i do think they will be on fleabay soon for about £20 a pair or if they dont work about £5 a dozen. :stupid:

only time will tell on these but gadget freaks like me waste £1,000s on the next lastest greatest gaget so when the hyper super dupa all time flapping winking breading gauranteed suicide decoy comes out these will have to do unless i think there **** and go back to the good ole shells,, :stupid:

what are the sillosocks decoys made of.

corrigated platic board flock coating and a paper/plastic bag the type of thing you get things packed in i.e. the bag the remote comes in when you buy a television the beak is yellow paint and the white neck thing is a bit of plastic wrapped around the corrigated platic they do look really wierd and cheap and nasty,but if you look at a plastic shell decoys they proberly on cost a few pence to make so dont be put off by looks alone its what they do thats counts!!

if they work there worth every penny if they dont somone is making a fortune, advertising sells nothing else!

I must agree with ronttuk these are not worth £45 a pair.

Tried mine on a rotary in admittedly gusty conditions the wings just turned back on themselves looked abysmal. Rang the sponsor up and the guy suggested I stop the rotary and use it as a bouncer i.e. stopped with the hydraflap facing the wind, seemed Ok but one wing definitely flaps more than the other.

I can't see the socket that the carbon fibre rod goes into lasting long, the stitching on one is peeling up after 2 outings. The top covering is just stapled on, the edges lifting in the wind.

Yesterday curiosity took me out again with just the decoys and having tried various positioning of the rod through the body, the wings flap better but one still seems faster than the other.

Having said the above, I am impressed with the Sillosocks Pigeon decoys, in the gusty conditions they filled out nicely and looked realistic bobbing and turning.

Just a shame there are so few pigeons about to lure in.