dog attack

colin lad

What were the circumstances of the dog getting out?

Are the owners getting rid of the family pet now for fear of being reported? You say she is a teacher. Would that have an impact on her not wanting to get reported to the police?

As for them not being interested the person you spoke to is probably a call handler just following their standard procedure.

There was no danger to the public when you phoned. You have the details of the owner and were sorting it out with them. The injured dog has been taken to the vets and it was not an intentional attack. The kids were not there so you can't really base your actions on that and the dog was not a banned breed. Based on that I would have probably done the same but maybe with a bit more sympathy.

If you had said you thought it was a Pitt bull I would have arranged for a DLO to pay them a visit but I don't think you did.

Compare this to a car crash. No injuries=no police attendance in most cases. Even if someone has done some really bad driving and your completely innocent they will get away with it Scott free and your shafted by increased insurance premiums. Even if 10 minutes later school kids would have been walking down the road it makes no difference.

Harry

i didn't say i thought it was a pit bull as i don't know a pit bull but i did say it was a kind of bull terrier it is easy after to say nobody was hurt and no kids were about i just know at 6.30 in the morning when you are walking down the street and a bull terrier kind of dog comes bounding across the road and latches onto your dog its not a nice thing to have happen and as i said in an earlier quote

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

a criminal offence HAD been committed so why should i not call the police??

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The field would then become a public area where dogs were allowed off the lead. In all other public areas dogs would be required to be on a lead.

Yes agreed,but because its classed as a public area all members of the public could also use it. Do you understand now? If it isnt open to the public then its private property.

Yes agreed,but because its classed as a public area all members of the public could also use it. Do you understand now? If it isnt open to the public then its private property.

Yes mate all members of the public could use it but those that were uncomfortable around dogs running free probably wouldn't. Therefore all dogs in all other areas would be on a lead and not a threat to the general public.

Yes mate all members of the public could use it but those that were uncomfortable around dogs running free probably wouldn't. Therefore all dogs in all other areas would be on a lead and not a threat to the general public.

we have a dog walk field in our village that is where i was heading it is about the size of a 5 aside footie pitch with 6ft fencing all around and although it is a public place if you are unsure around dogs you dont have to open the gate and go in

colin

i didn't say i thought it was a pit bull as i don't know a pit bull but i did say it was a kind of bull terrier it is easy after to say nobody was hurt and no kids were about i just know at 6.30 in the morning when you are walking down the street and a bull terrier kind of dog comes bounding across the road and latches onto your dog its not a nice thing to have happen and as i said in an earlier quote

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

a criminal offence HAD been committed so why should i not call the police??

Colin I never said you shouldn't phone them and I have sympathy for what's happened.

The irresponsibility comes into it when purchasing an English Bull Terrier and not realising the damage they can inflict.

There is nothing wrong with English bull terriers. In the right hands and with firm training they are a fantastic and loyal breed. So unless you have owned this breed dont tarnish the breed. They have more character than most other dogs. Good enough for princess ann. So stop making this a witch hunt for a particular breed any dog can be dangerous.

I do think that in public places though all dogs should be on a lead.

There is nothing wrong with English bull terriers. In the right hands and with firm training they are a fantastic and loyal breed. So unless you have owned this breed dont tarnish the breed. They have more character than most other dogs. Good enough for princess ann. So stop making this a witch hunt for a particular breed any dog can be dangerous.

I do think that in public places though all dogs should be on a lead.

I never said a word against the breed. My mate breeds them and his are lovely. I said these particular owners were irresponsible purchasing this breed without fully understanding their temperament.

I never said a word against the breed. My mate breeds them and his are lovely. I said these particular owners were irresponsible purchasing this breed without fully understanding their temperament.

Ok

Sorry it's just gets my wick when some people are so brain washed by the media without the true facts. A few idiots have ruined the bull terriers name esp the staffie.

One of my English bull terriers is a PAT dog (Pets as therapy) and goes around various old peoples homes and hospital wards for the half day. She loves the attention and gets fed treats all day. She scores 98% on the temperment test which is one of the highest scores a dog can achieve. She has no aggression at all she has never ever growled and will ignore any aggression towards her. Yet is the most loving happy dog I have ever known and doats on the mrs. And mrs feels safe with her.

The big problems we have with aggressive dogs are arrogant labrador owners who she to think all dogs she run free every where and refuse to use a lead and seem to think that all fogs get on together and that a dog fighting is perfectly normal. Yet they look down there nose at me with my two who never cause any trouble.

There is clearly a lot of divide on this subject, I have seen some ignorance but also some good ideas, either way something does need to be put in place, it's just a matter of what and how.

I'm pro bull breed as I have an Old English Bulldog myself, I have raised him firmly and socialized him well with puppy classes and the such, it's been quite hard work but he is as harmless as any breed.

I will say something about crossing of the breeds, a pure bulldog is as placid as any, and it's a fact that putting terrier across a bull produces aggression and agility, hence:

English Bull Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Pitt Bull Terrier

The French Bulldog / English Bulldog does not share the same bad reputation it's Terrier cousins does

The key word being terrier, now as I said above I'm pro bull including the terrier breeds, no matter what way you cut it you're left with a breed that is capable of inflicting damage, however breed characteristics only play a small part and I know from experience that in the correct hands with a responsible owner these breeds can be as safe as any, the problem is there is always potential for damage and these breeds attract idiots.

I don't believe in demonizing the breed as there are many powerful breeds that are non bull and able to inflict just as much damage, the difference is most idiots go for the staff as let's be honest, they are two a penny, but clearly something needs to be done, because in the right hands these breeds are fine.

There is clearly a lot of divide on this subject, I have seen some ignorance but also some good ideas, either way something does need to be put in place, it's just a matter of what and how.

I'm pro bull breed as I have an Old English Bulldog myself, I have raised him firmly and socialized him well with puppy classes and the such, it's been quite hard work but he is as harmless as any breed.

I will say something about crossing of the breeds, a pure bulldog is as placid as any, and it's a fact that putting terrier across a bull produces aggression and agility, hence:

English Bull Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Pitt Bull Terrier

The French Bulldog / English Bulldog does not share the same bad reputation it's Terrier cousins does

The key word being terrier, now as I said above I'm pro bull including the terrier breeds, no matter what way you cut it you're left with a breed that is capable of inflicting damage, however breed characteristics only play a small part and I know from experience that in the correct hands with a responsible owner these breeds can be as safe as any, the problem is there is always potential for damage and these breeds attract idiots.

I don't believe in demonizing the breed as there are many powerful breeds that are non bull and able to inflict just as much damage, the difference is most idiots go for the staff as let's be honest, they are two a penny, but clearly something needs to be done, because in the right hands these breeds are fine.

:good: +1

And your reasons that these breeds are 'dangerous'?

And your list of non dangerous dogs please?

My reasons are they are all capable of killing a man if they turned!

I don't my statement lightly. My three previous dogs are two dobermans and a bull mastiff x Rottweiler. All were well behaved and under control but as I get older I can't just turn a blind eye at what could happen.

As Collin said these people seemed responsible owners so I expect that dog was well behaved before it turned.

The same way we have to obide by strict laws because we want to own a "potentially" lethal weapon, the same should apply to owners of dogs which can "potentially" kill.

My reasons are they are all capable of killing a man if they turned!

I don't my statement lightly. My three previous dogs are two dobermans and a bull mastiff x Rottweiler. All were well behaved and under control but as I get older I can't just turn a blind eye at what could happen.

As Collin said these people seemed responsible owners so I expect that dog was well behaved before it turned.

The same way we have to obide by strict laws because we want to own a "potentially" lethal weapon, the same should apply to owners of dogs which can "potentially" kill.

So dogs that can't kill a man but can kill a child are ok? (jack russel,spaniels,dauschunds,etc etc),many many other breeds can kill a man if they 'turn' but seems your against 'muscle' breeds which suprises me as you say you have owned some of these breeds,

agree that not everyone should be allowed to own any dog but i find your views discriminatory,please give me a list if your safe breeds because i can guarentee all of them can kill a child if raised wrong,therefore your discrimination is flawed.

At the end if the day if we want no more attacks/deaths by legally held dogs,ban all dogs therefore there cannot be anymore deaths due to legal held dogs because there would be no such thing.

And how about banning all legally held guns?no more deaths/injuries buy legally held guns,

And how about banning all cars = no more RTC deaths, could go on and on,

Unfortunatly deaths do happen in all sorts of ways,can you justify taking away peoples choices and freedoms and banning certain 'dangerous' things,do you want to live in a country like that?

Blaming certain breeds will not help anyone,if you ban 'muscle' breeds chavs will just turn to other breeds and so on an so on

Edited by westmids1987

So dogs that can't kill a man but can kill a child are ok? (jack russel,spaniels,dauschunds,etc etc),many many other breeds can kill a man if they 'turn' but seems your against 'muscle' breeds which suprises me as you say you have owned some of these breeds,

agree that not everyone should be allowed to own any dog but i find your views discriminatory,please give me a list if your safe breeds because i can guarentee all of them can kill a child if raised wrong,therefore your discrimination is flawed.

At the end if the day if we want no more attacks/deaths by legally held dogs,ban all dogs therefore there cannot be anymore deaths due to legal held dogs because there would be no such thing.

And how about banning all legally held guns?no more deaths/injuries buy legally held guns,

And how about banning all cars = no more RTC deaths, could go on and on,

Unfortunatly deaths do happen in all sorts of ways,can you justify taking away peoples choices and freedoms and banning certain 'dangerous' things,do you want to live in a country like that?

Blaming certain breeds will not help anyone,if you ban 'muscle' breeds chavs will just turn to other breeds and so on an so on

I'm not against muscle breeds at all, in fAct I really like them.

There have been various suggestions on how to combat a problem and for me muzzling he muscle breeds when off the lead doesn't seem unreasonable. It won't stop your enjoyment in the dog.

If it saves one attack the. It's worth doing in my books.

I'm not against muscle breeds at all, in fAct I really like them.

There have been various suggestions on how to combat a problem and for me muzzling he muscle breeds when off the lead doesn't seem unreasonable. It won't stop your enjoyment in the dog.

If it saves one attack the. It's worth doing in my books.

Agree something does need to be done,but if its not unreasonable for muscle breed owners its not unreaasonable for all breeds?

But thats the whole thing it does't matter wot type or breed of dog u've got it's all down to the owner pure and simple. Possibly not the majority off dog owners but a bigger and bigger percentage now have no real idea how to train, handle and in some cases punish a dog. It does not need to be physial but a dog MUST know its booundries and wot it can or can't do

Ur saying 'hard' dogs should always wear a muzzle.

I think all people who do boxing/karate/martial arts or over a certain weight should walk round wearing boxing gloves. Why? because in the rare occurance that they hit some one they will do more damage than a 'normal' untrained person hitting someone will. That appears to be ur logic.

There has been a lot off nonesense talked at times but probably the only way to do it is ALL dogs have to be on a lead and muzzled at all times. Greyhound trainers rarely let there dogs free run for exercise and they wil be some off fitest dogs around. The big problem would be for gun dog owners trying to train a dog who live in towns and there shooting grounds are miles away.

Is the owner of the victim dog/attacked dog liable for damage u cause to the attacking dog in defending ur own dog (ie if ubroke its ribs etc)

I have heard if a dog is locked on the best way is topput ur lead round the dogs neck and try to strangle it, when it needs to breathe it will let go, thankfully never needed to try this out so not sure if true or not

I dont really know what id doto someone elses dog? Only really had it happen once to me properly... I had a 8/9 month old patterdale on me walking back through a beck after stock training it. A GSD came running from know where behind me and grabbed my patt.. before I knew what was really going on my patt had it by the back leg and it was screaming and trying to get away.. I just squeezed the sides of his jaw and he let go. The other dog ran off back to where ever it came from. Lucky really because of the other owner seen it. I would of got all the blame.