Have any of you used one.

kipper

I think they're a bit like snap caps, useless bits of metal designed to catch out newcomers to the sport.

A rotary should spin at a steady, quite fast rate.

Slow spinners act as bird scarers.

Cat.

I have.........and either way, my magnet acts like a warning thing for birds.....

Not had any "great days with it yet".

at any speeds.

Speed controllers are a complete waste of time and money because they can only slow your machine down

when you really need it to go faster!!

The 'Pinewood / Beesely' type rotary with the small in-line chinese motor will spin your deeks at about 40 rpm, providing you are using a quality battery fully charged but as it discharges the thing will slow and you might as well turn it off!!!

The 7amph batteries are no good you need at least 35amph to give a longer fast running time.

It is possible to buy a chinese motor which runs faster and will allow about 52 rpm at the deeks this speed is unbelievable!!!!

Rotarys employing a wiper motor will also benefit from a big healthy battery, but as they slow so will the flow of pigeons!!!!!

Cheers, C.B. :~}

Speed controllers are a complete waste of time and money because they can only slow your machine down

The 'Pinewood / Beesely' type rotary with the small in-line chinese motor will spin your deeks at about 40 rpm, providing you are using a quality battery fully charged but as it discharges the thing will slow and you might as well turn it off!!!

The 7amph batteries are no good you need at least 35amph to give a longer fast running time.

It is possible to buy a chinese motor which runs faster and will allow about 52 rpm at the deeks this speed is unbelievable!!!!

Rotarys employing a wiper motor will also benefit from a big healthy battery, but as they slow so will the flow of pigeons!!!!!

my 12v 7ah was bloody useless today.................ended up taking the speed controller off it....Think I need to look at a better battery.

Mine I got from the Beasleys (UK shootwarehouse), and set it at about 50 rpm (it was quite windy), and it lasted from 9 till 3:30, no problems with it what so ever.

I used to put my magnet (the original) out as a matter of course, but now only use it as another option if things are slow.

I've got a speed controller and find it's at it's best on calmer days with little wind. As everyone has experienced, a magnet can be a magical tool or a scarer.

Bloke on eaby sells them for peanuts, good buy under ?10 with postage included.

Grizzly thats where I got mine from. the bloke is verry helpfull and the service is grate. :stupid:

I still have not had chance to try them in the field yet, :stupid:

thanks for replies KIPPER :stupid:

Hello chaps

have any of you used a speed controller on your magnet.:good:

Do they work, or are they just another gimick.:)

thanks Kipper :blush:

how interesting, there are different views on magnet speeds. in my experience, the fastest magnet doesnt allways work as well as slower one, to me it seems that every day is different , which is why i use a speed controller , and the one off ebay is a good buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought two one for magnet other for pigeon pecker both work excellent :) .I use a battery from a car booster or the second battery off my 4x4 if i can drive near to spot im decoying from as its to big to lug across a field .the booster battery lasts for about 7 hours then slows rotor to much :good:

I have been told that a slower speed works well when decoying crows. the one I braught is called a magtame speed controller and is verry good. available in the back of some shooting mags for £20+p+p. or you can buy them off of flebay for under £10inc p+p. An absolute bargain

go on treat yourself.

thanks for replies

Kipper ;)

I wouldnt be without my speed controler my magnet WIZZES round without it and you cant keep pigeons on it, with the speed control it slows it down a tad and extends battery life

Better than All it brings more pigeons in with the controller than without !

WB

Hello chaps

have any of you used a speed controller on your magnet.;)

Do they work, or are they just another gimick.:lol:

thanks Kipper :)

Hi Guys,

Don't forget the other main benefit from a speed controller, the battery lasts a lot longer, my 7Ah battery is all I take for a whole days shoot nowadays with no probs! :blink:

I noticed speed controllers on fleabay that have protection inside incase the magnet is dodgey or the battery is connected up wrong .......an easy mistake I made, never again!! :(

in reply to kipper, my mates magtame stopped after just 10 minutes with a nasty burning smell :balloon: the other ones with protection inside I think are a better idea and a good price too :yahoo:

Tried out a magnet going round like a helicopter before on just a battery but aint impressed myself, it just seemed to scare the pigeons off so i would say a speed controller is definitely worthwhile.

"in reply to kipper, my mates magtame stopped after just 10 minutes with a nasty burning smell the other ones with protection inside I think are a better idea and a good price too"

the magtame ones I have braugh have got protected circuits and there fused. dont now whitch one your mete had but I dont think it could have been a magtame one???.

regards kipper :blink:

Hi Kipper,

Yep it was definitely a magtame and there aint no protection at all kipper, just a fuse, have a look inside if you can open it up :yes:

we stripped it down to have a look, had to wreck the plastic plugs underneath cos they were flipping hammered tight in the screw holes :unsure:

some tracks were totally burnt out and curling up off the board inside, not worth getting repaired if they do that, my mate said he would never buy one again :thanks: I told him to take it back where he bought it and tell em where to put it :yes:

Hi Kipper,

Yep it was definitely a magtame and there aint no protection at all kipper, just a fuse, have a look inside if you can open it up :yes:

we stripped it down to have a look, had to wreck the plastic plugs underneath cos they were flipping hammered tight in the screw holes :unsure:

some tracks were totally burnt out and curling up off the board inside, not worth getting repaired if they do that, my mate said he would never buy one again :thanks: I told him to take it back where he bought it and tell em where to put it :P

Game bag,

Did your mate actually contact the chap at magtame to try and sort the problem out :yes:

totally different experiance to what I have had. I have purchased 4 of these controllers 1 for me 2 for my dad and 1 for my mate. :lol:

my mate had a problem with his so I sent an email to the chap at magtame and two days later I had a replacement controller. I would say that is good service. ???

I can only speak for my personal experiance with the magtame controllers and I can honestly say I am very happy with the product and the service I received. :lol:

Kipper :lol:

Hi Game Bag your post was interesting. my mate and I tried the other one off flebay with the protection inside, because it sounded like a good idear but we found that the auto cuttout system was no use at all.

We tried it on a number of prefectly good magnets but it just kept swithing them off within the time it took to get back to the hide.

We have several of the magtame type and they work well on all of our machines and are certainly far better built than the other one which is in a pretty flimsy case.

the Fox Doctor.222

Hi Kipper,

some tracks were totally burnt out and curling up off the board inside, not worth getting repaired if they do that, my mate said he would never buy one again :thanks: I told him to take it back where he bought it and tell em where to put it :yes: