Stihl or Husqvarna

WGD

No worries..... If you have power tools at the very least consider how the police might identify them should they be stolen....

Record the numbers, mark your gear..... It's free!

No worries..... If you have power tools at the very least consider how the police might identify them should they be stolen....

Record the numbers, mark your gear..... It's free!

Hi , have used both in many versions , they are both good , husqvarnas have an external clutch and stihl is internal , the stihl is easier i.m.o to change the chain etc, I had to send back 2 stihl 261 from new as both had engine bearing probs,many peoples advice is to buy the 362 to avoid the bad batch , a cheaper saw would be a stihl 025 very usefull light saw at the top end of the builders market , once serviced and sharp this will perform most tasks for most people , there is no one fits all really, cheers ,these are my opinions and as one poster mentions its a beretta browning type question.

Build quality, stronger and more torque, it's been a few years since I last did any real work to them but this is how they were, the stihls were usually preferred by the guys working with hard wood, the huskys tended to run faster and suited the guys doing forestry mainly cutting soft woods.

I can't ever remember hearing of build quality issues with husqvarnas and the only stihl complaints I have heard of is the clamshell design casing and the older model (can't remember which ones) where they had main bearing failure due to a bad batch - I have heard stihl make better climber saws and husqy make better ground saws as the stihls are a little lighter whereas the husqy's seem to be torquey robust saws but a little heavier.

I would say the chain type is the deciding factor between hardwood and soft wood as neither brands pro saws would struggle.

Edit - I should also comment that I have stihl and husqy - although the stihl is a cut off saw - all have been faultless though....

I just prefer the power on the husqy for a chainsaw.

Sauer

Edited by Sauer020

The choices for a mid range saw seem to be Stihl 362 or 391, or Husqy 365XT, 550 or 560.... decisions decisions!

Thanks for the info happypig.

365xt - read the arb forums and you will see this saw coming up all the time as a workhorse - the 550 is also great but a little higher strung - there are plenty of very old 365's still going around which is a testament to how hard wearing they are!

As I said I wouldn't go 391 but only due to the clamshell thing - otherwise they are a great saw - I am told if you call a stihl dealer and tell him you would like him to work on a clamshell saw he with give a big "humph" as they hate pulling them apart cause the design was bad.

Look after any of the saws you mention and they should be a lifetime saw for "now and then" use...

Sauer.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it but if I was in your shoes I'd be trying to get hold of a Stihl ms460, there an excellent saw. I've had mine for a few years now and never had any major problems with it. When I use to work harvesting timber it's the saw I'd always use when I was working in a patch of big wind blown trees.

although most other chainsaw users have raised their hands and cried out, when they found out I had a non branded cheap japanese imported 20" chainsaw, to the degree that their stories of it killing me the first time it would be used, or at the very least cut my arms and legs off, I then purchased a 14" husky, which Ive been using for the last month or so in our woods, coppicing hazel and small logs, must say its a joy to use, and too easy to pick up bad habits like drop starting.

however bought home a few seasoned logs around 18" thick, so thought Id try "the widow maker" after all side by side its not that different, other than half the price at £90, it cut through like a hot knife through butter, again, well pleased with this machine too,

365xt - read the arb forums and you will see this saw coming up all the time as a workhorse - the 550 is also great but a little higher strung - there are plenty of very old 365's still going around which is a testament to how hard wearing they are!

As I said I wouldn't go 391 but only due to the clamshell thing - otherwise they are a great saw - I am told if you call a stihl dealer and tell him you would like him to work on a clamshell saw he with give a big "humph" as they hate pulling them apart cause the design was bad.

Look after any of the saws you mention and they should be a lifetime saw for "now and then" use...

Sauer.

I have logged on to arbtalk and there is some great info there, just waiting for my account to be activated so I can ask a few questions.

I have mentally ruled out the stihl 391 on the basis of your comments, but would like to do a bit more reading up on the husq saws before parting with my money. I use other stihl kit and have never been disappointed, it seems that whoever said its the same as asking whether you want a Beretta or a Browning pretty much summed it up so I need to look into what I will use the saw for and pick the one that suits my needs knowing that either brand will do the job well. And yes, as a weekend user with maybe the odd bit of tree clearance on site I want a saw that will last me a long time.

Thanks again gents for your comments.

Edited by WGD

It is a preference thing, possibly go to a dealer where u can handle both saws and see wot feels best to u. Both makes will handle anything u throw at them

I too have both stihl's and husky's, my last new saw was a stihl and it's been a cracker, think 361? (55-60cc) that much resin on saw never seen badge for years (never understood the stihl numbering system) as i'm not a fan off the 357xp's which had a bad habitat off going bang when u were working them hard.

Both are great saw's but I think the stihls are more off a plodder type saw so should last a bit longer, husky's are great but i think they are possibly over engineered and putting out too much power for engine size atleast with the mid range saws, don't think so bad when u go up to the larger ones. I've got a couple of 371/2's out in the shed which are still brilliant saws and they have had a hard life and cutt a lot off timber. Still got a wee 254xp, i think best saw ever made!! far better than the 357 that replaced it.

I have mentally ruled out the stihl 391 on the basis of your comments, but would like to do a bit more reading up on the husq saws before parting with my money. I use other stihl kit and have never been disappointed, it seems that whoever said its the same as asking whether you want a Beretta or a Browning pretty much summed it up so I need to look into what I will use the saw for and pick the one that suits my needs knowing that either brand will do the job well. And yes, as a weekend user with maybe the odd bit of tree clearance on site I want a saw that will last me a long time.

Thanks again gents for your comments.

Sound like you'll be using yours for much the same sort of work I do with mine. I cut logs at home, cut down windblown stuff and limbs that have got hung up and slice up large boles after someone else has had all the easy stuff. Basically scavenging freebie wood that's not economical for the woodsman to take for commercial firewood.

I use a Husky 365 with an 18" bar. Masses of guts, simple to mantain, tough as old boots and not particularly heavy. I used it hedge laying this winter and It was perfectly civilised even for delicate cuts. Lovely saw. Bought it from Rammages at Berscough.

Sound like you'll be using yours for much the same sort of work I do with mine. I cut logs at home, cut down windblown stuff and limbs that have got hung up and slice up large boles after someone else has had all the easy stuff. Basically scavenging freebie wood that's not economical for the woodsman to take for commercial firewood.

I use a Husky 365 with an 18" bar. Masses of guts, simple to mantain, tough as old boots and not particularly heavy. I used it hedge laying this winter and It was perfectly civilised even for delicate cuts. Lovely saw. Bought it from Rammages at Berscough.

Totally agree, another vote for the 365... :good:

Whats the husky 236 like and is it ok for logs?

Surprisingly so, I had one of its predecessors and that did a good 10 years of logs for me, bought a husky 440 after that and that's been great on its second season now and doing more coppicing on our shoot than I had planned but doing it with ease. Obviously there is a big difference between the pro and farm saws but when you use them weekends you aren't giving them a hard life. Maintenance and decent 2 stroke oil at the correct strength makes as much difference, I'm a fan of the smaller saws from a safety and ease of use side. I know I can use this one all day without fatigue setting in and even felled ash to twice the thickness of the bar so they can even handle quite chunky stuff

Hope it wasn't taken from my previous post that I was trying to flog my Stihl 441 off as a weekend saw? It was just an idea as it is a really good saw that in honesty I don't need now. It was a replacement for a stolen one that I've never used.

Got to admit that I still use an old Mitox with 20" bar and its cut up tons of logs now.

Edited by old rooster

Hope it wasn't taken from my previous post that I was trying to flog my Stihl 441 off as a weekend saw? It was just an idea as it is a really good saw that in honesty I don't need now. It was a replacement for a stolen one that I've never used.

Got to admit that I still use an old Mitox with 20" bar and its cut up tons of logs now.

I didn't take it that way, I just have access to to 441 already and it is a bit bigger than I would like.