Stihl or Husqvarna

WGD

Buying a new chainsaw as have quite a bit of wood available.

Some of the wind blown stuff we have to cut is pretty chunky so thinking about either a stihl 362 or 391, not really considered and husqy.

Any thoughts gents?

Both will serve you very well, a lot of people say husqy on the ground and stihl in the air...the only ones I was told to avoid are the "clam shell" design stihls...

If its just for ringing fire wood and cutting into logs I'd buy something bullet proof like a 365 or 550 and a smaller saw for limbing and cutting the smaller stuff.

The 365/550 will run up to a 28" bar although there's really no need to go over 18" I would say.

I Personally run husqy but as I say they both make top end saws so I would base it on what spares/service provider is near to you

EDIT - just realised - the 391 is a clamshell design I think so I'd maybe avoid that....

Sauer

Edited by Sauer020

I'm selling a brand new Stihl 441/c for £700 which is way under RRP if it might be of interest, hell of a lot of saw for the money with 20" bar. This thing will eat anything you are ever likely to want to cut up.

Stihl and Husky are both very good so just a matter of where you can get a good deal.

If you know what the biggest size bar is you need to run a good rule is to times that by 3 and that gives you the size of power head youl need to run it. Also worth seeing what your local dealer sells so you know you can get spares easy enough for what ever you choose. As for what one to get sthil will plod on allday and husky have more speed to them so I'm told but the most important thing is to make sure you've got the correct ppe and know how to use a saw safely as wind blow is under a lot of pressure and tension so is unpredictable unless you know what your doing

Edited by guss109

sthil and husky are both great saws..if i could afford it i would have one..wont tell you what ive got cause you would larf...ive had it for 5 years and it does everything i ask it to, the enjine is made by komatsu and it is also pdi'd before fitted to the saw.

i dont earn my living useing saws like some of the boys do on here, i have used them regualy for 35 years and will tell you this..

1. use the proper size file
  2. dont skim on files
  3. maintain your rakers ( they govern the cutting depth an help pull cuttings out)
  4. clean and service the saw
  5. keep the chain at the right tension
  6. turn the bar

it dosnt matter what saw you have if the chain aint kept sharp it wont perform

i dont use a sharpening guide as i can get it sharper without...try and find someone to show you how to sharpen a saw properly and you will be in the pound seats,

if you can afford it get a spare or 2nd hand bar and chain........if you are out in the middle of nowhere and have got your saw stuck at least you can get it free useing the spare bar

ditch

PS Guss 109 has a really valid point on wind blow....an old boy with a saw was killed a week ago down here doing just that...wind blows are like loaded guns....

I'm selling a brand new Stihl 441/c for £700 which is way under RRP if it might be of interest, hell of a lot of saw for the money with 20" bar. This thing will eat anything you are ever likely to want to cut up.

The 441 is an Awsome saw especially run on an 18 bar

Stihl and Husky are both very good so just a matter of where you can get a good deal.

I have 2 husqies. I am also sad enough to take a photo. Here it is:

16042011685_zps7b981397.jpg

Yes that is sad lol

Love em.

Thanks for all the replies, I have Stihl and Husqy dealers close by. I also have access to a friends Stihl 261, 441 and 660 saws with a range of bar lengths although realistically a 20" bar will do everything I need. It is just about time I stopped using his kit all the time, already have PPE, wouldn't cut without it.

Have been cutting wind blow with the various Stihl saws in the last few weeks, +1 on the danger element, it's like a deadly game of jenga!

Old rooster, thanks for the offer but as I already have access to a 441 I won't take you up on it - I am also VAT registered in an industry where I can justify a chainsaw purchase so will be able to reclaim the VAT.

Sauer020 - thinks for the tip about the clamshell design and the 391. I was already tending towards the 362 as it is lighter and more powerful.

I've two huskys a 435 and a 365 both ideal for felling, dismantling or just cutting Windblow. I'm not keen on sthils the foresters at work often comment on them being gutless compared with huskys and they supposedly loose power when turned on their side when making a back cut to fell something

+1 for being careful with Windblow there's a lad up our way who had one drop onto him he's lucky he can walk

Worth looking at the husky 560xp if your buying new thats my daily saw to use and is a cracker not to heavy and really zippy. Have a look @ fr jones web site for good prices there doing the 441 with same size bar for about 30 notes more than the one you've been offered

it's worth having a read of arbtalk too - I would say if you need a big saw that will go on and on - its commonly known a 365 is a major work horse - it's the reason I bought mine (it has an 18" bar) and I did a lot of research, I did look at a 550xp but was told that these are a bit more "revvy" and therefore need a little more maintenance - they are more aimed at fast felling cuts, I was told the 365xt will be a lifelong saw and will need a check over annually if you keep it cleaned and in good runnin order.

So far it has not disappointed me and its an animal of a saw, haven't stalled it out yet.

I also use a little 240 husqy with 15" bar for limbing and although they are known for being a pain as they have torx screws to get to the plug/filter housing - it has been a great little saw and had been used and abused for 5 years.

Sauer

Edited by Sauer020

Please record your serial numbers......

Register them on www.immobilise.com

This is the property database used by the police to do roadside checks.... While you are there register your household items..... If the worst should happen give the police a chance of identifying your property

If you want a better explanation then pm me .... It works

stihl :yes: simples :good:

Can I ask why Stihl are better than Husqvarna? It's interesting to see some people say one or the other but don't really say why they have gone in this direction.

Sauer

Please record your serial numbers......

Register them on www.immobilise.com

This is the property database used by the police to do roadside checks.... While you are there register your household items..... If the worst should happen give the police a chance of identifying your property

If you want a better explanation then pm me .... It works

Please PM me on this as I am interested to log all mine on this.

Sauer

Build quality, stronger and more torque, it's been a few years since I last did any real work to them but this is how they were, the stihls were usually preferred by the guys working with hard wood, the huskys tended to run faster and suited the guys doing forestry mainly cutting soft woods.