Some advice on head please.

ME

Yes, of course, I am talking about doing some "pumping" in the garden.

I have Googled around and have found loads of stuff on t'internet but nothing in laymans terms. Once I stopped chuckling about the references to "head" and "length" and "pumping" I was still none the wiser.

Sooooooo.....

I want to pump some water for irrigation about 37 metres to a holding tank.

This water will go up a hill in the garden at a rise of about 7 metres over the 37 metres.

I have a pump that shifts water at 258 litres a minute and the max head is 11m.

1) Is this pump big enough?

2) What bore of pipe should I use?

Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

I have Googled around and have found loads of stuff on t'internet but nothing in laymans terms. Once I stopped chuckling about the references to "head" and "length" and "pumping" I was still none the wiser.

Sooooooo.....

This water will go up a hill in the garden at a rise of about 7 metres over the 37 metres. Yes

I have a pump that shifts water at 258 litres a minute and the max head is 11m. is this 285 at 11m

1) Is this pump big enough? Depending on the size of pipe yes The "head" you need to overcome is 7m plus the resistance of the pipe - the larger the pipe the smaller the resistance.

2) What bore of pipe should I use? Based on the pump being 258 @ 11m I would say use 50mm pipe - smaller will give less flow as the pump performance is a curve flow reduces as head increases

Thanks

Matt

Sooooooo.....

This water will go up a hill in the garden at a rise of about 7 metres over the 37 metres. Yes

I have a pump that shifts water at 258 litres a minute and the max head is 11m. is this 285 at 11m

1) Is this pump big enough? Depending on the size of pipe yes The "head" you need to overcome is 7m plus the resistance of the pipe - the larger the pipe the smaller the resistance.

2) What bore of pipe should I use? Based on the pump being 258 @ 11m I would say use 50mm pipe - smaller will give less flow as the pump performance is a curve flow reduces as head increases

Thanks

Matt

Thank YB :good:

I have the technical spec and it defo says Max Head 11m. Max flow rate 258 (l/min)

I think I was getting lost in trying to factor in the length of the pipe - is that irrelevant?

The pump has a 1 1/2" BSP outlet = 38.1mm.

Edited by ME

You will find that the height you are pumping will affect the flow rate, the pump is probably flow rated at less than the maximum head. As YB has suggested it is better to use the largest bore pipe you can fit to the pump but obviously the smallest constriction in the line will be the governing factor.

I have three 1000 litre tanks at the end of my shed, they collect he rainwater from the roof and I then pump that water as required up to the vegetable patch about 30 metres away. Fortunately it is level ground so it doesn't take a lot of pumping.

You might want to consider keeping the pump in a place where it can cool as much as possible as it will probably get pretty hot.

Edited by old rooster

its often better to lift the water straight away, and run it from there via gravity, less friction then,

Plus if you lift it slightly above the highest point for the remote end at the pump you can probably run up the pump then if you don't need massive flow, turn it off and allow it to siphon?

Thank YB :good:

I have the technical spec and it defo says Max Head 11m. This will be at a low flow rate Max flow rate 258 (l/min) approx 4l/s probably at a low head of about 1 m

I think I was getting lost in trying to factor in the length of the pipe - is that irrelevant? No you have to lift the water 7m anyway add to that the resistance of the pipe - if you stick with 40mm pipe (1 1/2 bsp) with a flow if circa 120 l/m you will add about 2m to the head. there is no guarantee the pump will do this and without the curve I cannot check - but at that size it should do t6he job albeit slowly

The pump has a 1 1/2" BSP outlet = 38.1mm. PM me the pump details and I will try to check it out

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all, in particular Yellow Bear who sent a PM.

I have now completed stage one in my garden irrigation.

I was probably over the top when I stated the amount of the rise needed, so the pump purchased more than does the job.

Good darts all :good: