One for one variation

MG6065

I've finally got my **** into gear and I'm going to apply for a 222 for foxing. I've currently got a 22lr and a free slot for a 17hmr. I feel all the rabbiting I do is covered with the 22lr so don't really need a hmr. My hmr is conditioned for fox but I'd rather have a rifle that enables me , with lots of practice take foxes at 200 yards.. How do I go about this? What forms do I fill in and what shall I say? Also what ammo allowance should I ask for? I'm not going to be shooting loads of rounds. All my land is cleared up to all calibres so all that's sorted. Thanks alot!

Its the same form just tick in the variation box on the top. Fill in the appropriate parts as normal and put fox control where they say what reason and the land where its to used. As for ammo then i would ask for buy 100 an hold 200 as a reasonable amount. If you put more then they will most likely knock it down to that like they did with me when i applied for my .243. Got buy 100 and hold 160 as end result.

Hope this helps

DD

Personally I'd suggest .223 but that's another thread in itself!

You don't need to complete any reference forms for starters. Get your hands on a Firearms Certificate application form from your local Police station, or here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/docid/302AE27C-C212-4AE7-9B6A83373E015186

Advice/guidance also on the BASC website here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/firearms/certificate-forms-and-fees.cfm

Ammo quantity is up to you and usually a chat with your local firearms liason officer should provide the answer.

Don't loose the slot for .17HMR now you've got it, you never know, you might want one for a specific reason in the future.

Greg.

A 1 for 1 is free, if you want to add extra slots it will cost.

Bear in mind there is NO guarantee either, just because you have (for example) a HMR, a Variation for a .222 isn't a gimme, you will still need to justify it and possibly face another interview!

I'd go with Charlie below as well!

For use put down fox and AOLQ.

Police C/F ammo guidelines suggest buy 200 - hold 250, so I would go with that.

There is no reason why you should not do a 1 for 1 - Changing your 17HMR for a .222 for foxing. However as Dekers has just said there is no guarantees, it is down to your FEO, and even then your FEO might want to put a "Mentoring" or "Accompanied" condition on you if you have no previous experience with centre fires!

As for ammunition I can hold 300 and buy 250 - But again that is down to your Firearms Office! It would not be unreasonable to ask for Buy 200 and Hold 250!

My FEO phoned today and said my variation should be back next week and opened up on all calibers as well.

Although well pleased with that, it's only taken the best part of 4 months for them to get to this stage.

Had my SGC renewal through the other week and it had the wrong gun on it. How they managed that **** knows, but I had

to phone them straight away and fair play within two days a new ticket was there on the mat all present and correct.

DD

Be interesting how long my one for one variation for a moderator change takes with Gloucestershire force, been a week so far. When I swapped a fac air rifle slot for my first 243 I was told by my FEO that I would have to pay again as the calibre differance was to big a jump, the things they come out with. BASC told me to ignore this advice and go ahead with the variation, of course, nowt was said. I think your reasoning for wanting a 222 is extremely sensible and as long as land is ok ( unless of course you have an open license). I would say, '' hmr is not the ideal choice for a foxing rifle', but it would just stir to much emotion amongst you lot. :yahoo:

The legal guy that writes in Sporting Gun says you should get in touch with your Chief Constable/Commissioner type person as it reflects badly on them, and they might not realise it's taking that long

:shaun:

I think I read the same article and the general feeling is that not enough people complain as worried of putting license at some kind of risk. My license is in for renewal in August, believe me, if its not back before the old one expires I will need a book of stamps to send all the letters out, chief of police, MP etc.( hope I'm not tempting fate with me one for one thats in at the moment.)