.243 reloading

Well done on gettng your fac mate. You will hear many conflicting opinions on here in regards to reloading, as above get yourself a reloading manual. I bought the Lee second edition manual and have found it very good. I reload with all Lee gear apart from their safety scale that I just could not get on with, I opted for rcbs beam scale in the end which is great. You can pick the gear up secondhand, sometimes someone packs it in and you can get a decent price on the whole kit, but like most things they never come up when you want them.

Its always easier to find someone to get you started, it will save you a little time in finding the path you want, but its pretty straight forward on your own, though you may make the odd simple mistake.

Its a great hobby and if you plan ahead and keep your load selection simple you can save on factory bought ammo and always have it available. I now reload 85g and 100gr in 243 and 150gr in 308, this covers all I need shooting wise and keeps it nice and simple buying materials wise. PPU ammunition is not far off the same cost of reloaded ammo and seems readily available to some, personally I didnt get on with it or find it consistant enough for my needs. Be warned though, when you first start reloading you will get through a fair bit of ammo,either testing or just novelty value but it soon settles down when you have a dependable load.

Totally agree with redgum. I started with the lee breech lock challenger kit, lee dies and have added a few bits as I went along like the RCBS scales and so far I have had good results with the set up I have. I had no one to show me the ropes but have managed fine so far and still have all my fingers and my face, just follow the loading manuals and don't believe everything you read on the internet. The internet is a great place for info and youtube has helped me a lot but again don't take everything as gospel. I am sure that if you don't know anyone that can help you the good people of PW will help where they can.

Opticswarehouse do reloading manuals at a very good price plus reloading kits, another couple of places to look at on the net are Henry Kranks and Leamon shooting supplies. Powder, primers and expanding bullet heads needed to be sourced locally as powder and primers cost a packet to get delivered and expanded bullet heads cannot be sent via post( though strangly you can have em posted from the states). I found it best to get my bullet allowance increased and buy all I want at either the CLA or Midland shows ( Norman Clarks stand)

When you get down to load selection look hard at Varget and mid weight bullets. I have custom loaded for a few guys and the 65-75-87 vmax over Varget shot very well and should kill whatever you are after

indeed its very versatile, I'm now trying some 58's with 43 grains of varget and on foxes they appear to look like you have blown them up, couple that with a 200 yard zero giving 3" of drop at 300 yards it really is point and shoot on all but the furthest.

Then I have 85grn sierra soft points for deer and they seem to work very well

Edited by al4x

Im currently using sierra 85 grain hpbt for fox and deer with h4350 43.3 grains very accurate. Iv also worked up a load for varget of 37 grain both less than 0.5 group , iv shot foxes and fallow and the bullet performs very well was thinking of going lighter for foxes but really cant see the point as the 85 grain is doing everything I expect of it.

Drop is my only issue with the 85's mine likes the same load and they do work well on foxes but I get 3" drop at 200 and a lot at 300 with an inch high at 100 zero

this seems VERY loopy.

Am I missing something here?

1" high at 100yds tends to be on the money at 200yds and a drop of 4-6" at 300yds

this seems VERY loopy.

Am I missing something here?

1" high at 100yds tends to be on the money at 200yds and a drop of 4-6" at 300yds

tends to be in my case not in the field on paper where it counts and that is with what Hogdon list as a max load, no pressure signs I do have a finlight so the barrel isn't the longest but thats what I get and very similar when i use 75 vmax though that isn't near max

Hi thomas, I started cautiously reloading for .243 with the lee anniversary set up, (about £100 with dies). I had good results and found it enjoyable too. If you can source prvi ammunition cheaply, try it. If your rifle likes it you wont save yourself much money by reloading. I used Reloder 19 and speer bullets.

Things (in no particular order) to consider are;

# a reliable/repeatable source of primers, powder and heads (bullets)

# familiarise yourself with the various stages of reloading, plenty of good stuff on you tube.

# when you start to reload dont make too many rounds in one go in case they are wrong in some way.

# learn to recognise the signs of high pressure

# keep a reloading record

# get yourself a micrometer ( got mine for about a tenner in lidl )

# trawl the internet for info, take with a pinch of salt and be wary of 'miracle loads', stick to book loads and err on the side of caution

# get yourself a kinetic hammer, very useful for when you need to disassemble a round.

# If possible get an experienced reloader to show you the ropes and explain neck sizing, a revelation!

Hope this is of some use, Im no expert but have reloaded now for .243, 6.5 x 55, .38sp, .357mag

Be safe and good luck, cheers moor man.

Varget is very hard to got hold of at the monent :no:

i have change to another powder now

When you get down to load selection look hard at Varget and mid weight bullets. I have custom loaded for a few guys and the 65-75-87 vmax over Varget shot very well and should kill whatever you are after