Remote locking problem

aldivalloch

Can anyone give me some advice?

A few days ago I tried to unlock my car, which was parked outside my house, using the remote key-fob. It didn't work. Thinking the battery had run down, I went and got the spare. It didn't work either. I got in using the skinny little key that's fitted into the side of the fob, but it was really difficult to get enough leverage on it to get it to turn. The car's a Toyota Verso, by the way.

I parked a couple of miles from home and found that the remote locking worked again. Over subsequent days I found that it still works pretty much everywhere - but not close to my house.....

I've since discovered that my neighbour is having the same problem with his Kia.

Now, the house over the road was rented out recently to some young people. One of them is an IT something-or-other - and he works from home. Could it be that his wireless broadband is jamming our remote locking?

And if so, what can we do about it? Can remote locking be re-tuned to a different frequency?

I'd be grateful for assistance, particularly if it's written in the sort of language an elderly technophobe might understand!

There's definitely something that's causing the signal to go, probably some bit of technology. My van has remote locking and occasionally I can't lock it in some places due to the same interference. I doubt it's the blokes broadband, but it might be worth knocking on the door and seeing if he's prepared to help you resolve the problem by turning off his various devices one after the other to see what's causing the problem, then seeing if it can be re-tuned to a different frequency.

Do you only have the issue in the mornings?

Possibly the car battery is low even though its enough to start the car, below 12v and the alarm could become erratic. Obviously when you drive the car the battery will get a boost.

had exactly the same problem with my new td5 , i couldnt park it any where near my house, and someone else with a new range rover had the same prob couple of miles away......the car was under warrenty and after spending a shed load of money (hunters land rover not me) on replacing the system ..the problem was still there, anyway they sorted it eventually by sheilding the pic up sensor with silver foil or something...they gave me some bull-**** answer about microwaves and satillites scanning the area.....i could open the locks from 80-100 yds away but after i had it done i could only do it from 10-15 yds.............

I have had a similar problem.

No problem at home but every time i went to the banks and parked on Droylsdens shopping centre.

My 4 x 4 would not lock of the fob i would have to put the fob on the windscreen for it to work.

Then the same **** trying to un-lock it and sometimes i would have to use the key.

I had a good look round and there where lots of people struggling to get into there cars.

Droylsden shopping center has a mobile phone tower on top of it with loads of transmitters on it.

Has soon as i drive away from there my fob works fine up to 80 90 yds away.

Just more microwaves and Radiation we are being bombarded with.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and advice. I changed the battery in one of the fobs today, but it's made no difference. The car battery itself is fine. I think the next step is to visit my neighbours and see if we can isolate the problem. Luckily quite a lot of the people around me are elderly and unlikely to be messing around with devices (other than pacemakers!) so it shouldn't be a major task.

Thanks again!