My HMR. First impressions and some questions.

sitsinhedges

Well I got my CZ455 HMR today after reading about others experiences of them on here.

First thing is what a beauty it is. The laminated thumbhole stock is a real cracker and with a SAK moderator on the front looks just great, even non shooters are drawn to admire it.

Took it up the fields to zero this evening and the first thing I noticed was that the trigger pull which seemed fine in the shop is actually very heavy compared to the pre-charged air rifles I am used to. I found myself pulling the shots as I tried to squeeze it.

I eventually managed to get it zeroed at 50yards using a benchrest tripod a freind lent me but think at this point in time shooting off sticks or sitting with it over my forearm is out of the question. Once it is properly set up the potential is clear though as I was starting to print groups well inside a 25mm bull at the zero range.

I went off to a likely spot and lay down waiting for some bunnies to emerge and eventually got a difficult shot at dusk. I was aiming for a head shot but heard the thump of a body shot and found the rabbit laying where it was taken at around 80 paces. It was actually difficult to see where I had hit it as I expected half its head to be missing but a floppy leg was the only clue it had been hit in the chest with no apparent entry or exit wound and certainly not the mess I had been made to expect ???

I also found that when walking distances you do tend to notice the weight if holding it in your hand ready for a shot.

I am now wondering what is the best route to take for improving the trigger and what do I need to do with regards top cleaning the barrel for best accuracy?

For the record after my original question, the crack isn't so bad. Something like when you hear forked lightening crackling in the sky, loud but not excessively so and strangely when I shot that rabbit some younger ones that were much closer stayed around for quite some time before hoping back to the hedge.

cz's suffer from poor triggers when new, just get a trigger kit, got mine from rimfire majic for 12 quid, took about 20 minutes to do, just a case of swapping the trigger spring, as you say they are heavy to be walking round with, when you get the trigger done and your used to it you can easy get 10p size groups at 100 yards with no wind. As for the damage you expected its usually the case if you body shot them, not worth eating as bits of bullit will be everywhere, stick to head shots, it causes massive damage and usually nearly decapitates them.

Heavy triggers are a CZ speciality. You can buy trigger kits quite cheaply. CZ owners will be along shortly to advise you, I'm sure. (There we are Tod's beat me to it.) CZ have just brought out a .22 with a set trigger. Apparently you will be able to buy the triggers separately and retro fit them to other CZ rimfires. That's an option. Though I didn't care for the old BRNO set triggers they used to fit on centre fires because when set the trigger blade was pushed too far forward for me. But the new ones might be worth a look.

As for weight when carrying, are you not using a sling?

youll need about 50 rounds through before it starts to group consistanly,deffo need to sort trigger there far to heavy i fitted lightest spring breaks about 2.5lb just done my mates .22 took 10 min from start to finish.as for cleaning other than one pull through with bore snake dont touch it once you zero it or youll need to put more rounds through again.just clean when groups start opening up .body shots just mush up internals ,head shots are real messy ive pic from 100yd head shot if you want to see damage it causes

So where's the best place to get these trigger kits (and the quickest :blush: )?

EDIT: Just found the rimfire magic website, Ill order one tomorrow :good:

Rimfire magic are good or google Yo Dave. I followed an earlier post on here about polishing the bolt too for a much smoother action.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/241159-yo-dave-cz-trigger-kit-on-cz-455/

here is one i prepared earlier.

As for cleaning, some say do some say dont. If you are going to then it needs to be done well. Think half cleaned rifles are the ones that need a few shots to clear out all the disturded crude in the barrel.

I clean every time, even if i have just fired a shot.

My regime:

1/ wipe extermal mud/ much off

2/ remove and strip mod, ( after a target session it amazes me the amount of stuff in it) then give it a little spray of wd40, wipe off excess and leave to dry disassembled.

3/ bore guide in, and run a few patches soaked in my choice of cleaner.

4/ nylon brush

5/ patches with cleaner until clear

6/ nylon brush

7/ patches with cleaner and then with out until patches clean

8/ patch with oil

9/ .22 air rifle bore snake ( no wire brushes on it) to mop up any excess oil.

10/ some grease on mod thread and reassenble,

11/ clean bolt with wd40 and tooth brush

12/ grease bolt with a little frog lube ( great stuff)

13/wipe inside if action with clean cloth

14/ slide bolt few times.

first time i go out i always go to field away from where i plan on shooting if hunting and check zero incase i have knocked it off or mod is not same position as before. It is very rarely off by more then .5 of an inch ( and if target shooting the first mag will be a 20p group which im happy enough with)

i'm sure some one will be along to tell me i am doing it all wrong but just my 2 cents worth.

I'm the same with my shot guns, cleanen even if only been out walking and put a single shot through.

hope that helps.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/241159-yo-dave-cz-trigger-kit-on-cz-455/

here is one i prepared earlier.

As for cleaning, some say do some say dont. If you are going to then it needs to be done well. Think half cleaned rifles are the ones that need a few shots to clear out all the disturded crude in the barrel.

I clean every time, even if i have just fired a shot.

My regime:

1/ wipe extermal mud/ much off

2/ remove and strip mod, ( after a target session it amazes me the amount of stuff in it) then give it a little spray of wd40, wipe off excess and leave to dry disassembled.

3/ bore guide in, and run a few patches soaked in my choice of cleaner.

4/ nylon brush

5/ patches with cleaner until clear

6/ nylon brush

7/ patches with cleaner and then with out until patches clean

8/ patch with oil

9/ .22 air rifle bore snake ( no wire brushes on it) to mop up any excess oil.

10/ some grease on mod thread and reassenble,

11/ clean bolt with wd40 and tooth brush

12/ grease bolt with a little frog lube ( great stuff)

13/wipe inside if action with clean cloth

14/ slide bolt few times.

first time i go out i always go to field away from where i plan on shooting if hunting and check zero incase i have knocked it off or mod is not same position as before. It is very rarely off by more then .5 of an inch ( and if target shooting the first mag will be a 20p group which im happy enough with)

i'm sure some one will be along to tell me i am doing it all wrong but just my 2 cents worth.

I'm the same with my shot guns, cleanen even if only been out walking and put a single shot through.

hope that helps.

Hell, do you have any time left to actually fire the thing?

I also found that when walking distances you do tend to notice the weight if holding it in your hand ready for a shot.

Definitely worth fitting a sling. I have put one on each of the CZ452's that I own and it makles a very considerable difference to the amount of time that I can carry one around.

Chris

Hi

I have the same rifle, its my go to day time rimfire I use for snap shots at 30yrds to well placed time taken 200yarders.

I've put a fair few rounds through mine on the stock trigger, it does get better and I've got used to it, it takes a very steady slow consistent pull.

As for cleaning, the barrel is cleaned only once the grouping opens up, which can take a good few hundred rounds.

I have a bipod and sling fitted to mine, to start off I found it heavy to carry around for hours but my arms have got used to it over time.

Last night I was out for 2hrs before dark stalking bunnies, taking shots standing, kneeling and prone off the bypod... it was carried in the ready to shoot position for 90% of the time and at no point did I notice the weight of the gun... If you shoot it enough you'll get used to it.

My favourite shot of the evening was stalking an already wary bunny down to 80yrds and taking the shot knelt on one knee with the sling rapped around my left arm helping to steady, there was a slight crosswind to contend with but the result was a very dead bunny with a perfect head shot.... I was chuffed :)

Well I got my CZ455 HMR today after reading about others experiences of them on here.

First thing is what a beauty it is. The laminated thumbhole stock is a real cracker and with a SAK moderator on the front looks just great, even non shooters are drawn to admire it.

Took it up the fields to zero this evening and the first thing I noticed was that the trigger pull which seemed fine in the shop is actually very heavy compared to the pre-charged air rifles I am used to. I found myself pulling the shots as I tried to squeeze it.

I eventually managed to get it zeroed at 50yards using a benchrest tripod a freind lent me but think at this point in time shooting off sticks or sitting with it over my forearm is out of the question. Once it is properly set up the potential is clear though as I was starting to print groups well inside a 25mm bull at the zero range.

I went off to a likely spot and lay down waiting for some bunnies to emerge and eventually got a difficult shot at dusk. I was aiming for a head shot but heard the thump of a body shot and found the rabbit laying where it was taken at around 80 paces. It was actually difficult to see where I had hit it as I expected half its head to be missing but a floppy leg was the only clue it had been hit in the chest with no apparent entry or exit wound and certainly not the mess I had been made to expect ???

I am now wondering what is the best route to take for improving the trigger and what do I need to do with regards top cleaning the barrel for best accuracy?

For the record after my original question, the crack isn't so bad. Something like when you hear forked lightening crackling in the sky, loud but not excessively so and strangely when I shot that rabbit some younger ones that were much closer stayed around for quite some time before hoping back to the hedge.

The trigger and bolt will improve with use. I've a 452 and I've put about 700 round through it and it feels a totally different rifle to how it was when it was new. I fitted a trigger kit to mine, and it made a big improvement. Just don't be tempted to set it too light or take too much creep out of it, because as the trigger beds in, it could make it unsafe.

As for cleaning, a nylon brush is a big help in speeding things up.

Heavy triggers are a CZ speciality. You can buy trigger kits quite cheaply. CZ owners will be along shortly to advise you, I'm sure. (There we are Tod's beat me to it.) CZ have just brought out a .22 with a set trigger. Apparently you will be able to buy the triggers separately and retro fit them to other CZ rimfires. That's an option. Though I didn't care for the old BRNO set triggers they used to fit on centre fires because when set the trigger blade was pushed too far forward for me. But the new ones might be worth a look.

As for weight when carrying, are you not using a sling?

Do you know if these are available yet?

The trigger and bolt will improve with use. I've a 452 and I've put about 700 round through it and it feels a totally different rifle to how it was when it was new. I fitted a trigger kit to mine, and it made a big improvement. Just don't be tempted to set it too light or take too much creep out of it, because as the trigger beds in, it could make it unsafe.

As for cleaning, a nylon brush is a big help in speeding things up.

Do you know if these are available yet?

Actually, its specifically CZ455s the set triggers will fit. Can't see anything more about them on Edgar brothers website. But contact them for details. www.shootingsports.edgarbrothers,com