New Gun - Barrel Length ??

jloc

Hi Folks,

Quick Q, currently have a 686e with 30in barrels that I use for everything Clays / Game / Pigeons etc and am looking to buy another gun so I can use the 686 just for the clays.

If I bought the new gun with 28 barrels just for game / pigeon would I struggle going between the two? Is there much differer that I would notice? Only been shooting 3 yrs so may be a daft question but thought i'd better ask.

Cheers

J

What are you looking to gain with the new gun?

If you want a side by side then they are mostly 28", lightweight and easy to load and carry, another O/U would be a strange buy unless you wanted a very light O/U. Generally people believe that shorter barrels are quicker handling, but less instinctive to shoot accurately. Not sure it's true, but that's the common belief. If you're going walked up shooting then a quick handling sxs is probably a better choice as it can be carried loaded but open easily without cartridges trying to fall out and will be light and quick handling. If you were going to be shooting high birds in Devon a heavy 32" barrelled O/U might be a more natural choice.

What are you looking to gain with the new gun?

If you want a side by side then they are mostly 28", lightweight and easy to load and carry, another O/U would be a strange buy unless you wanted a very light O/U. Generally people believe that shorter barrels are quicker handling, but less instinctive to shoot accurately. Not sure it's true, but that's the common belief. If you're going walked up shooting then a quick handling sxs is probably a better choice as it can be carried loaded but open easily without cartridges trying to fall out and will be light and quick handling. If you were going to be shooting high birds in Devon a heavy 32" barrelled O/U might be a more natural choice.

Thanks for the advice Tim, I'm off to test a couple of guns this weekend and see how I get on.

Cheers

J

Hi Folks,

Quick Q, currently have a 686e with 30in barrels that I use for everything Clays / Game / Pigeons etc and am looking to buy another gun so I can use the 686 just for the clays.

If I bought the new gun with 28 barrels just for game / pigeon would I struggle going between the two? Is there much differer that I would notice? Only been shooting 3 yrs so may be a daft question but thought i'd better ask.

Cheers

J

What is wrong with what you have for game/pigeon.

Are you simply looking for a lighter Game Gun?

A shorter barreled gun is going to handle slightly differently than a longer one , they may be quicker but the longer the barrel the easier it is to keep the swing going .

You will always shoot better using one gun , unless of course you buy a exact copy.