RSPB.

Cranfield

If you are a member of RSPB you may like to know that Bob Elliot, Head of Investigation at the RSPB, is giving a "keynote speech" at the "Gunning for Change" event ("an expose of shooting") being run by LACS on 25th April.

RSPB has always claimed to be neutral on the subject of shooting, perhaps some of its shooting members will write to them and remind them of this and point out that the attendance of a senior RSPB man at a LACS event sullies its reputation.

I will certainly be writing and if I don';t get a satisfactory response, the direct debit gets cancelled..

It should be pointed out that LACS tried to run this same event last year, but it was cancelled due to a lack of support.

Persistant ******** ain't they.

totally infested by antis as are r.s.p.ca and most of the national trust blinkered self serving tofu munchers .you will do as they say not as they do .they cant get shooting banned legimately so theyre going in through the back door .hence the tie up with LACS.rant over count to ten woosaa

It should be pointed out that LACS tried to run this same event last year, but it was cancelled due to a lack of support.

or just unimaginative nut jobs.

i had a conversation with a twitcher a couple of months back, i asked him what he thought about the effects magpies have on the songbird population,

"no effect what so ever" was his reply ???

or just unimaginative nut jobs.

i had a conversation with a twitcher a couple of months back, i asked him what he thought about the effects magpies have on the songbird population,

"no effect what so ever" was his reply ???

You should have told him that the RSPB controls magpies.

I wonder if there were any undercover shooters there? Or maybe a shooting journalist?

Control of magpies is pretty much waste of time. (Likewise Jays, rooks and Jackdaws). Songbirds etc nest multiple times and can afford to loose the odd nest to magpies. I really cannot see what the obsession some folk seem to have with them, maybe it is because they are easy to catch in Larsens ?

Now Carrion crows are a completely different case and the real bad big McNasties and should be dealt with at every opportunity. Major predators of game eggs and chicks, like wise wildfowl and wader nests / young, nail leverets when they can, eat fallen stock alive. They should be the main focus 100% of the time.

Don,t know of the RSPB controlling magpies, I do not think they do, but they are open about Carrion Crow control on certain reserves.

Sorry Scolopax I don't agree with you.

All corvids are egg and chick stealers and Jays, Magpies, Jackdaws etc are not far behind Carrions in the McNasty stakes and should be dealt with accordingly.

Quite right.

Of course predation is natural, but it can impact on threatened species - populations which have declined are more vulnerable to natural influences including predation and weather.

If predators take 20 out of 500 birds, it has no impact. If the birds decline to 50 and 20 are taken by predators, that's nearly half the population gone due to predation - every one is precious. That's why predation seems to impact more on some species than it does for others - predation isn't a major problem for common species like blackbirds.

Edited by Reece